• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Earthquake/Anyone feel that?

This was really beneficial for my wife's psychological well-being. Definitely need her to be freaked out about aftershocks now to go along with the Covid, failing economy, and restarting schools.

Seeing a lotta Matthew 24:7 thrown around on social media today.

Seeing a lotta Matthew 24:7 thrown around on social media today.

Yeah, some older ladies I went to church with as a kid posted on facebook today messages to the effect that God is displeased with America due our "sinful ways" and immorality and is trying to send us a message via earthquakes and the pandemic and such, but certain foolish people just aren't listening. I've been hearing that type of stuff since I was a kid. I remember that after Mt. Saint Helens erupted in 1980 a preacher at our church said that the eruption was a sign that God was mad at America and that we all needed to get right with God before the End Times, which were surely coming soon. Same as it ever was.

Last edited:
God is so displeased with America that he sent a virus that is particularly dangerous in churches.

That tracks.

Yeah, some older ladies I went to church with as a kid posted on facebook today messages to the effect that God is displeased with America due our "sinful ways" and immorality and is trying to send us a message via earthquakes and the pandemic and such, but certain foolish people just aren't listening. I've been hearing that type of stuff since I was a kid. I remember that after Mt. Saint Helens erupted in 1980 a preacher at our church said that the eruption was a sign that God was mad at America and that we all needed to get right with God before the End Times, which were surely coming soon. Same as it ever was.

gotta make those ends

I used to get that sort of stuff, too. I found the best way to shut it down is ask about the bad stuff from their generation: "what was our national sin for Pearl Harbor? Polio in the 1950's? Is bad stuff still happening now because we didn't repent then?" Crickets. Or bring it to today: "Clearly God disapproves of Trump."

I heard of a study that said that ancient people perceived God according to their climate. If they lived in a fertile, beautiful land, then they perceived God loved them. If they lived in a harsh climate, then God was meaner, vengeful, and less happy with them. We are still the same today.

Thoughts and prayers. I know I'm still shaken from the DC/VA earthquake of 2011

earthquake08232011-neverforget.jpg

Was driving to the golf course and stopped at a red light. My car started doing this weird rumbling thing and I got nervous something was wrong with it. Find out 10 min later on the range that it was the quake. Pretty sure that's the first one I've ever felt.

I grew up near Sparta and my parents still live there. Luckily on the side of the county that got less damage. They just had some crooked picture frames. However apparently about 12-18 houses were sufficiently damaged as to be uninhabitable. My parents missed the quake as they were on vacation (with us) at the time but they were pretty tense until their neighbors reassured them that their home and church were OK.

Back