• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Paranormal Activities

Ok I hadn’t really been paying attention to this thread until the other day, and I wanted to take the time to write up this experience I had that was eerily similar to what some other people have been recounting here. It’s kind of long so bear with me.

So when I was in high school in Charlotte, my friend’s grandmother, who had lived in the same house basically her entire adult life in, started to get numerous health problems and required 24 hour care. His family wanted her to stay comfortable, so rather than put her in an assisted living community they hired people to watch and care for her all the time.

My friend’s family would go visit often to try to keep her spirits up, but they could see her deteriorating and wanted her to just be comfortable. She only hung on for about a year after her condition was really bad, but it seemed that my friend’s family was happy for what they thought was a fairly good last few months for her to experience.

Ok, back up a little bit, and while she was alive, the grandmother (I actually don’t know what her name was but to my buddy she was Nanna so that’s what I’ll call her) had been living alone for about a decade because her husband had died in the late 80s. At some point, Nanna had lost a necklace that had been a gift from her husband that had one of those lockets with each of their pictures on either side when you opened it up. Apparently it was such an important item to Nanna that usually whenever anyone from my friend’s family was visiting her at the house they might spend a little while trying to find this necklace, but ultimately for 10 years they had no luck.

So anyway, after Nanna died, the family had to deal with wrapping up of her affairs, the biggest piece of which was figuring out what to do with the house. It was left solely to my friend’s dad who was an only child, but he didn’t want to hold onto the house so he decided to sell it. Before that could happen though, he needed to spend some money in to fix up some things, because it was a pretty old house. He fancied himself a handyman, so he tried to do a lot of this himself.

So one day on the way to school my buddy tells me his dad was over at his grandmother’s house doing some work, and it was late in the evening when he got this really big chill that came over him and he swore he saw like a white outline or silhouette pass in front of him. He kept going back over there to work on the house and never had another experience like that, but obviously as 17 year old kids my buddy and I were like, “Dude we HAVE to stay the night there once before the house gets sold.” So that’s what we decided to do.

We didn’t even need to make up any lies about what we were doing that night because his dad didn’t have a problem with us staying the night over there. So we pack up the N64 and some Goldeneye and go over there some Friday night because there was no chance of us meeting girls. We laid out some sleeping bags in the main living room and just sit around playing Bond. After we had played for a few hours and shut it off, we were just talking before going to sleep. He made some comment about he’ll miss this house even though a lot of his memories were of his grandmother as she was losing her faculties. And I shit you not, that was the moment that we both felt a chill and saw like a white outline of an old lady like his dad had seen the other time. It moved slowly across the room kind of floating, and it stopped a couple of times for a few seconds. We are TOTALLY freaked out, but don’t dare make a sound. I definitely wasn’t breathing, and my buddy looked terrified.

Now this is where the story gets REALLY weird. The silhouette moves over towards us. We are frozen. I am JUST about to bolt out the door, when the white outline says to us, “Hey n00bs, you wanna get pwned at Bond?” We were like, “WTF?” So we turn on the N64, and the ghost of my friend’s grandmother totally dominates us at Goldeneye for like two hours. She picked Oddjob, which is a pretty shady move, but what are we gonna say to a ghost you know? She talked some mad shit, but were like helpless children in the arenas. After getting beat for like the tenth time, we were like “FUUUuuuuuuu” and she floated away and I’m pretty sure she said “suck it” right before she disappeared. Craziest thing ever.

Scariest part of the post. You should have known you were fucked right there and just got out.

Nothing new to report yet. The paranormal group out of Charlotte has agreed to come for free. I hope to get to the library next week to do some research.

Pretty quiet around here lately. Just me and that creepy kid that likes to stare out the back window. Nothing much to do around here except pace up and down the hall and open and close doors.

So ghost of Milt, which one are you? Milt senior, Milt Junior, or Dr Milton Hobbs?

I found out a little nugget this morning. Dr Milton Hobbs lived in the house before Milt Sr bought it from him. Yep, that is 3 generations of a man named Milt that lived in that house. The first was not related to the 2nd or 3rd, but it adds another potential suspect to the ghost. I'm hoping to verify this later on this week if I can swing by the library to do some historical research.

So ghost of Milt, which one are you? Milt senior, Milt Junior, or Dr Milton Hobbs?

I found out a little nugget this morning. Dr Milton Hobbs lived in the house before Milt Sr bought it from him. Yep, that is 3 generations of a man named Milt that lived in that house. The first was not related to the 2nd or 3rd, but it adds another potential suspect to the ghost. I'm hoping to verify this later on this week if I can swing by the library to do some historical research.

Some info on Dr. Milton Hobbs:

1 . Looks like Dr. Milton Hobbs lived from 1807 - 1887: gravestone. Dr. Hobbs deeded over some of his property to the Fork Meeting House/Fork Baptist Church for a cemetery.

2. Fork Academy was opened by Fork Baptist Church on a lot near the church that was sold to the church by Dr. Milton Hobbs in 1879 : http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ncdavhgs/1900davieschools.pdf

3. Dr. Milton Hobbs was one of 3 delegates representing the counties of Davie & Rowan to the North Carolina State Constitutional Convention in 1868 - to organize a new state government at the end of post-Civil War military occupation: http://docsouth.unc.edu/nc/conv1868/conv1868.html

4. Milton Hobbs was also a Justice of the Peace in Davie County, performing marriages: http://genforum.genealogy.com/caton/messages/1202.html

Interesting tidbits from the Fork Academy. Was run by some fellow alums for quite a while. Go Deacs!

2. Fork Academy was opened by Fork Baptist Church on a lot near the church that was sold to the church by Dr. Milton Hobbs in 1879 : http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ncdavhgs/1900davieschools.pdf

FORK ACADEMY, FORK COMMUNITY BUILDING
(Fulton Township, Fork Church Community)
1. In 1879, the congregation of the Fork Baptist Church decided to sponsor an academy with the
“...object of providing a more excellent training of its young people for service.”
2. The trustees bought a lot from Dr. Milton Hobbs next to the church to erect a two story frame
building which was completed in October of 1879.
3. The first principal was C.A. Rominger, a Wake Forest graduate. He taught three years and was
followed by J.T. Alderman, another Wake Forest graduate who taught from 1882 to 1892.
Wilson Merrell became principal in 1901 and taught until 1915. He left much history on the
Fork Baptist Church.
4. The Davie County Board of Education sold the Academy in July of 1919 for $700.00.
5. The school was blown off its foundation in 1961 during a storm.

Spoilers. Maybe you and your chums should drop by and find out. :plos:

Someone with more history doing geneology, let me know if I am reading this correctly. Elizabeth Call it appears was married to David Call, and he died sometime before 1866, when she remarried Dr Hobbs.

http://www.fmoran.com/sheets.html

Elizabeth Call (1835-1906) m. 1) David Call (ca. 1836-bef. 1866); 2) Milton Hobbs (1807-1887)

It appears that Dr Hobbs was married to Iren Foster Hobbs until she died in 1846 at the age of 35. I cant come across a cause of death. Would there be death certificates that far back?

Dr Hobbs it appears did not have any children.

Someone with more history doing geneology, let me know if I am reading this correctly. Elizabeth Call it appears was married to David Call, and he died sometime before 1866, when she remarried Dr Hobbs.

http://www.fmoran.com/sheets.html

It appears that Dr Hobbs was married to Iren Foster Hobbs until she died in 1846 at the age of 35. I cant come across a cause of death. Would there be death certificates that far back?

Dr Hobbs it appears did not have any children.

Yes, when doing my research last night & did see that Dr. Hobbs married Elizabeth Call in 1865: http://www.familyorigins.com/users/b/o/o/Ron--Booe/FAMO1-0001/d49.htm#P8511 Chances are her first husband died during the Civil War.

Milton Hobbs married Irena Foster in Davie County in 1838: http://www.mindspring.com/~ncgen/censusH.html Here is her gravestone.

There was one reference in the 1850 census to possible children b/w Milton & Irena, but I couldn't find anything to substantiate it. I'll see if I can dig up that document again.

LANDS FOR SALE.
AIMING WEST, I OFFER MY LANDS FOR SALE.
One tract in the county of Davidson, 280 acres, three
miles north of Lexington, on the stage road leading to Salem,
having on it a good dwelling house, barn and other
out-houses, a good meadow, a first rate improved orchard,
and 150 acre in wood-land. As to health, it is good.
Also, one tract in the county of Davie of 140 acres, with
a new dwelling house and other out-houses, five public
roads meeting near the house, and a store house in 150
yards of the house. It is on rhe main road leading from
Lexington to Mocksville, three and a half miles west of
Oak's Ferry, on the Yadkin river, and eight miles east of
Mocksville. My post oflice is Lexington.
MILTON HOBBS.
June 8, 1859.

The North Carolina Standard
Wednesday, August 24 1859
From Archives.com

There's an article published May 5, 1924 in the Statesville, NC paper The Landmark that mentions the history of Davie County and the appointment of Hobbs as a delegate to the state constitutional convention. Too blurred and inked over for me to make out most of it.

LANDS FOR SALE.
AIMING WEST, I OFFER MY LANDS FOR SALE.
One tract in the county of Davidson, 280 acres, three
miles north of Lexington, on the stage road leading to Salem,
having on it a good dwelling house, barn and other
out-houses, a good meadow, a first rate improved orchard,
and 150 acre in wood-land. As to health, it is good.
Also, one tract in the county of Davie of 140 acres, with
a new dwelling house and other out-houses, five public
roads meeting near the house, and a store house in 150
yards of the house. It is on rhe main road leading from
Lexington to Mocksville, three and a half miles west of
Oak's Ferry, on the Yadkin river, and eight miles east of
Mocksville. My post oflice is Lexington.
MILTON HOBBS.
June 8, 1859.

The North Carolina Standard
Wednesday, August 24 1859
From Archives.com

From that, my impression is that he sold the land to someone else prior to Milt Livengood. I'm having trouble coming up with that missing link.

I did find this deed book listing on Milton's find a grave site. Anyone good at deciphering 1800's cursive? I tried earlier and could read about every third word. Its on Deed Book 3 page 846.

Info From the 1880 US Census:
Milton Hobbs
First Name: Milton
Last Name: Hobbs
Age at Time of Census: 73
Race: White
Ethnicity: American
Estimated Birth Year: 1807
Birth Location: North Carolina
Residence: Fulton, Davie, NC
Relationship to Head of Household: Self
Other People in Household:
Julius Hobbs, age: 14
Bettie Hobbs, age: 45
Daniel Hobbs, age: 12
Susan Call, age: 18
Father Birthplace: Maryland, United States
Mother Birthplace: North Carolina, United States
Marital Status: Married
Spouse First Name: Bettie
Spouse Last Name: Hobbs
Spouse Birthplace: North Carolina, United States
Film Number: T9-0961
Line Number: 58
Collection: 1880 U.S. Federal Population Census

Yes, when doing my research last night & did see that Dr. Hobbs married Elizabeth Call in 1865: http://www.familyorigins.com/users/b/o/o/Ron--Booe/FAMO1-0001/d49.htm#P8511 Chances are her first husband died during the Civil War.

Milton Hobbs married Irena Foster in Davie County in 1838: http://www.mindspring.com/~ncgen/censusH.html Here is her gravestone.

There was one reference in the 1850 census to possible children b/w Milton & Irena, but I couldn't find anything to substantiate it. I'll see if I can dig up that document again.

1850 census: http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/7870/miltonhobbs1850.jpg - after Irena died. shows Milton & definitely 4 children ranging in age from 11 to 1 (Junius-11, Mildred-8, Milton-5, Lewis-1) and a female named Sarah, age 20. Could she be Milton's 2nd wife and a likely mother to the 1 year old boy, Lewis? The gravestone for Elizabeth Call mentions that she was Milton's 3rd wife, so this scenerio seems probable.

1880 census: http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/8590/miltonhobbs1880.jpg - shows wife as Bettie (must be nickname of Elizabeth Call - age is correct), her daughter Susan Call from her first marriage, and 2 sons with last name of Hobbs (Julius-14, Daniel-12)

From that, my impression is that he sold the land to someone else prior to Milt Livengood. I'm having trouble coming up with that missing link.

I did find this deed book listing on Milton's find a grave site. Anyone good at deciphering 1800's cursive? I tried earlier and could read about every third word. Its on Deed Book 3 page 846.

It appears that he sold off the land before dying. It's probably Livengood haunting the place.

1850 census: http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/7870/miltonhobbs1850.jpg - after Irena died. shows Milton & definitely 4 children ranging in age from 11 to 1 (Junius-11, Mildred-8, Milton-5, Lewis-1) and a female named Sarah, age 20. Could she be Milton's 2nd wife and a likely mother to the 1 year old boy, Lewis? The gravestone for Elizabeth Call mentions that she was Milton's 3rd wife, so this scenerio seems probable.

1880 census: http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/8590/miltonhobbs1880.jpg - shows wife as Bettie (must be nickname of Elizabeth Call - age is correct), her daughter Susan Call from her first marriage, and 2 sons with last name of Hobbs (Julius-14, Daniel-12)

Lewis Hobbs
Birth: Nov. 24, 1848
Death: Oct. 2, 1850

1 yr 10 ms 8das
son of Dr Milton Hobbs

Burial:
Fork Baptist church cemetery
Mildred Hobbs Thompson
Birth: Mar. 4, 1842
Death: Aug. 19, 1924

Family links:
Spouse:
Henry A Thompson (1846 - 1920)*

Burial:
Anna Hobbs (not mentioned in the census)
Birth: Aug. 4, 1850
Death: Jun. 22, 1852

age 1 yr 10 m 18 das
Daughter of Dr Hobbs

Burial:
Infant son Hobbs
Birth: Apr. 15, 1852
Death: Nov. 30, 1852

marker was broken

Burial: