• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball recruiting update 3/24

I think this is accurate deaclite. But I also don't think it's a bad thing. In order to land some top tier kids, I think we're going to have to get back to the middle of the pack first.

Well, we went from close to the top to the absolute bottom of the barrel in one year. I'm not sure that we should have had to rely on the possibility of luring a star, top tier player in order to fix our program. But, I guess that is where we are now.

It just appears that we will be in the bottom 1/3 of the ACC for the foreseeable future.

Well, we went from close to the top to the absolute bottom of the barrel in one year. I'm not sure that we should have had to rely on the possibility of luring a star, top tier player in order to fix our program. But, I guess that is where we are now.

It just appears that we will be in the bottom 1/3 of the ACC for the foreseeable future.

Can't argue that we'll probably be there next year. But from the natural progression of the 2010 class alone I think we'll be back in the top half in 2 seasons.

I guess my point is this, and I'm going to have to make it using some tenuous analogies: we all want to get back to where we were with JJ, JT, and Aminu around. I think that's a given. But that team was akin to one of Kentucky's, replete with stars that we always knew (save for JT, maybe) would ship off to the NBA as soon as their name was called. I don't see that as a viable model for Wake Forest. I do, however, see a team like Pittsburgh, who has had consistent success over the past 5 years, to be a viable model. Less basketball history/fanbase than the heavy hitters, but nonetheless successful at a high level. They are at a point now where they pull in top talent, but it's still not as highly regarded as you might think. DeJuan Blair is their only 5* going back in the database as far as 2003. There's a sprinkling of 4* players in there, but there's an equal amount of 3* and 2* transfer kids.

More succinctly, this time: I don't think we're at a place right now to recruit 5* kids. I just think the kids we've recruited will help put us in a position of consistent play amenable to recruiting those 5* kids. As things currently are, we have a furious fanbase and local news outlets are asking whether our coach is on the hotseat.

I don't have to know more than Bz to evaluate him. I just have to know there are many coaches who are better than him.

We see this with every coach. Fans trust the coach for the reasons stated above. Coach doesn't produce enough wins and gets fired or is allowed to leave. Fans pledge their allegiance to the next coach. You know the fans that just blindly trust every coach and it's hard to take what they post seriously. Any fan who isn't skeptical about a 8-24 coach is definitely hard to take seriously.

Spot on.

Is Pittsburgh the model we want to follow though? I thought Wellman said we were trying to make Final Fours? When did they make the Final Four again?

Dave Telep
DaveTelep Dave Telep
Aaron Rountree getting better. Aspects of his game are improving, including his confidence

That's good news!

Pitt has a lot of tough inner city kids. They are strong with the ball. We are getting beanpoles that have to bulk up big time. Are they ever going to be tough enough? We are going in the opposite direction of Pitt.

don't know how many of you are following dave telep on twitter, but he's talking about how impressive rountree and cmm have been so far. i know this whole board is pretty much #BzzOUT, but being impressive at the DTCC is a very good sign for our upcoming recruits.

check this out if you don't use twitter regularly:
http://twitter.com/#!/davetelep

Sounds like Telep is pretty impressed with our guys so far...maybe Bz does have an eye for talent.

That does sound positive. I would consider Teiep as both credible and objective. He is very aware of the our situation because he was asked about it this week in an interview. He felt like we need a star player or two. Sounded like many of us.

That does sound positive. I would consider Teiep as both credible and objective. He is very aware of the our situation because he was asked about it this week in an interview. He felt like we need a star player or two. Sounded like many of us.

Do you have a link to the interview?

It was on the Acc Sports Journal web site. I will post what he said first chance I get.

Yes, I won't take anything else from them - I don't want to cause a hassle.

Excerpt from article

ACCSports.com:
Speaking of Wake, what are your thoughts on Aaron Rountree and Codi Milller-McIntyre? Right now Jeff [Redacted]’s not exactly beating off high majors for his recruits. Is this cause for concern?

Telep:
There’s always a point where winning on the court in the ACC becomes a by-product of winning recruiting battles off it. Wake moved early on some guys and it remains to be seen if the those recruits can distinguish themselves as stars or reserves. The Deacs are in need of a recruit they can count on to be a major standout.

Katenda, Lekan or Janovic would do wonders for the fan base's perspective of Bz's recruiting abilities. After taking Washington those three are the only chance Bz has to make a splash before 2013 because of the current scholarship situation.

Katenda, Lekan or Janovic would do wonders for the fan base's perspective of Bz's recruiting abilities. After taking Washington those three are the only chance Bz has to make a splash before 2013 because of the current scholarship situation.

This is undoubtedly true. Sadly, though, I think most of them would still be doubtful until we see the product he puts on the floor with those players.

This is undoubtedly true. Sadly, though, I think most of them would still be doubtful until we see the product he puts on the floor with those players.

I would definitely still be doubtful about his coaching abilities, but my concerns about his recruiting would ease some.

Katenda would be a huge get for [Redacted] and for the fan base. Another quality big man for 2011 would definitely ease my concerns about our roster.

Back