• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball recruiting update 3/24

I saw this posted on the old board about the new commit:

Anyone else getting concerned about Bz's recruiting? Beating out Liberty for a recruit does not instill confidence in his recruiting prowess. Of course we all want to see this young man be a success at the next level. But let's be honest- we're now competing with the Liberty's of the world for our recruits?

I'm really worried about it. I think Bzz is watering down our program; Our recruiting lineup for the next 2 years is reminiscent of Boston College. When he is going to get a highly ranked recruit? Is it acceptable for him to fill all of our scholarships with unranked players?

If we get Katenda, we won't have scholly for him.

The insinuation on the other board is that the coaches might go over the limit, guessing that we will lose a guard to transfer.

If that's the strategy then I don't think it's a very good one.

It is dumb to talk about the rankings of our 2012 commits. High majors were recruiting all three of them as well. We are definitely taking a different approach from the past but its not like we are leaving behind a successful approach or a sustainable approach.

I don't think it's dumb to be concerned about a strategy that seems predicated with the idea that we can only beat out other high majors if we offer scholarships to sleepers before they do.

People quoting rankings right now is dumb. DeaconKing said Andre has "4-star potential" before its all said and done. Notice I said rankings.

Be concerned all you want.

It is dumb to talk about the rankings of our 2012 commits. High majors were recruiting all three of them as well. We are definitely taking a different approach from the past but its not like we are leaving behind a successful approach or a sustainable approach.

It's equally dumb to talk about projections of greatness, neither of us can predict the future. It's fine if you are satisfied with our current recruiting, but many of us aren't and we're allowed to post about it.

I don't think it's dumb to be concerned about a strategy that seems predicated with the idea that we can only beat out other high majors if we offer scholarships to sleepers before they do.

Also I think our new type of strategy is predicated on more than just when we sign these players, but building a certain type of team with certain type of players.

And no I don't mean gym rats. That joke is so dumb and unoriginal. It was hardly funny the first time.

It's equally dumb to talk about projections of greatness, neither of us can predict the future. It's fine if you are satisfied with our current recruiting, but many of us aren't and we're allowed to post about it.

Everything from high school players is a projection of greatness. Ty's 5-star ranking was a projection of greatness. I'm not saying you need to like anything but people who are BuzzOut like these players and they know much more about them.

Also I think our new type of strategy is predicated on more than just when we sign these players, but building a certain type of team with certain type of players.

And no I don't mean gym rats. That joke is so dumb and unoriginal. It was hardly funny the first time.

Obviously they're targeting a specific kind of player. But, correct me if I am wrong, we have yet to have a player commit to us who was holding another high major offer. That's concerning.

In my opinion we need to be able to go head to head with major programs for a recruit and win in order to build a successful program.

Obviously they're targeting a specific kind of player. But, correct me if I am wrong, we have yet to have a player commit to us who was holding another high major offer. That's concerning.

In my opinion we need to be able to go head to head with major programs for a recruit and win in order to build a successful program.

That is wrong. From another thread:

Anthony Fields triumphantly posted on his twitter that he had received five offers from high majors. The likely schools are, along with us, Seton Hall, Oklahoma, Missouri and Penn State.

Daniel Green had offers from California, Marquette, Virginia Tech and Clemson. This has been confirmed by a number of articles, as well as his father.

Aaron Rountree's offer from Colorado was pretty much universally reported, even by scout (which is where it appears that Oettinger took his offer lists from).

I don't know enough about Andre to know for sure who offered him but multiple high majors were on him.

That is wrong. From another thread:

Anthony Fields triumphantly posted on his twitter that he had received five offers from high majors. The likely schools are, along with us, Seton Hall, Oklahoma, Missouri and Penn State.

Daniel Green had offers from California, Marquette, Virginia Tech and Clemson. This has been confirmed by a number of articles, as well as his father.

Aaron Rountree's offer from Colorado was pretty much universally reported, even by scout (which is where it appears that Oettinger took his offer lists from).

I don't know enough about Andre to know for sure who offered him but multiple high majors were on him.

I do stand corrected. And Marquette, Oklahoma, and Missouri are all pretty good programs.

These recruits may be able to get us back to the middle of the pack, but I still question if we can get back to the tier just behind Duke and Carolina without some more highly regarded talent mixed in. It is certainly a risky approach that we will just have to wait and see how it pans out.

These recruits may be able to get us back to the middle of the pack, but I still question if we can get back to the tier just behind Duke and Carolina without some more highly regarded talent mixed in. It is certainly a risky approach that we will just have to wait and see how it pans out.

That is at least 3 seasons down the road (when the current HS jrs are Sophs here.) Ugh.

I don't wanna be patient.

Everything from high school players is a projection of greatness. Ty's 5-star ranking was a projection of greatness. I'm not saying you need to like anything but people who are BuzzOut like these players and they know much more about them.

That's the thing about the recruiting information we get on the boards from experts, for Football and Basketball; they say that every player we are recruiting is great, and a hidden gem. They can't all be hidden gems. I understand taking on players that may be projects, or who aren't fully developed yet, but you all sound like Lectro every time we get a new 2 star recruit.

I think that CJ's senior year we could be really good. Like Top 25 good. That is all projection with nothing to back it up but I think Travis and JTT could both be beasts by then and we will have a full complete team. Of course it depends on whether this recruiting strategy produced solid players to help them.

I don't even like Bz. I wish he wasn't our coach. I don't know if he truly has an eye for talent but I still hope he does. I think I just prefer to try to stay positive.

And no one is pimping these kids as hard as Lectro pimps anyone. Especially not here. They are shat on a lot more than they are pimped.

And no one is pimping these kids as hard as Lectro pimps anyone. Especially not here. They are shat on a lot more than they are pimped.

They certainly don't deserve that. I really wish we could save some room on the 2012 roster to make a run at some top 50 recruits, but I'll just have to be patient like the rest of us.

I think it's a little unfair to nail [Redacted] on Fields's competing offers considering how late we signed him. All things considered, he's probably the commitment I'm most pleased with (i.e., he fills a direct need, he's coming next year, he plays for a really good HS team, and he had several other high-major offers). I think concern over the relative (lack of) competing offers for the 2012 guys is a bit more legitimate particularly because IIRC several of them have already reclassified once, meaning other D1 coaches have had plenty of opportunities to scout and recruit them had they wanted to.

What worries me more than stars or lack of stars or the numerical rankings of players is that if Katenda ('11) or Jankovic ('12) takes the last scholarship for the next two classes (and I would love to have either one of them) [Redacted]'s first two recruiting classes at Wake will have failed to address what is "arguably" our biggest need: a space eating big guy (a player who is 6'8 or taller and weighs at least 230 to 240 who camps out around the basket on both ends). That is very concerning to me.

I do realize that we could possibly add a post-grad for next year that fits that description but that's just a temporary one year solution. Do the coaches really think Melvin can come back and fill that role and/or does Washington have the potential to put on that much weight without it negatively affecting his skills?

Back