• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball recruiting update 3/24

What ultimately goes into your decision? First of all, I have to get along with the coaches. I have to feel comfortable talking to the coaches. I don’t want to go to a school where the coach is known but I don’t like him. Second, I don’t want to go to a school where the coaches think I’m a four, because that’s not what I am. I still have to look at a lot of things. I’m not trying to rush right now.

From this article: http://www.umhoops.com/2010/08/09/qa-2011-wing-eric-katenda/

A bit outdated, but still should give a better idea.

Let's hope he doesn't realize he would be a 4 here...

Can't decide if I should posrep or negrep dv7 for making the same post as me...

What ultimately goes into your decision? First of all, I have to get along with the coaches. I have to feel comfortable talking to the coaches. I don’t want to go to a school where the coach is known but I don’t like him. Second, I don’t want to go to a school where the coaches think I’m a four, because that’s not what I am. I still have to look at a lot of things. I’m not trying to rush right now.

From this article: http://www.umhoops.com/2010/08/09/qa-2011-wing-eric-katenda/

A bit outdated, but still should give a better idea.

I assume he thinks he's a 3?

Ugh. It's pretty clear we need him at PF and that's where he'll get immediate playing time, unless we can sell him that we're just going to put him at SF with McKie at PF.

Read the article:

Describe your game. I’m a 6-9 combo guard. I can pretty much play anywhere on the court. I know how to post up, I know how to get to the rim from the perimeter, so I’m a pretty complete player.

Geez.

Maybe Bz is selling him that he and McKie will both play combo forwards and with Rountree at SF in 2012, maybe Katenda can move to SG. I don't know. Tell him whatever.

Last edited:
Just tell him we will use him in the Carmelo Anthony role, and he will start from Day 1, while Notre Dame returns three starters who essentially play his position.

And I assume that's what we did.

I think he is talking mainly from the offensive perspective. I think it is clear that our "4" isn't going to be a traditional second post player, even if it is Tabb. We'll want them to be able to take it down there, sure, but on that side of the ball, I imagine he will get plenty of touches at the elbow and more outside. I don't see how he can think he won't have to guard some guys down there and be counted on to crash the boards, which is where we are the most thin.

Yeah he would have to be a 4 here...especially if he gets back to 230-240 like he was.

It apparently is not a problem because we are his favorite though.

Can't decide if I should posrep or negrep dv7 for making the same post as me...

Choose wisely. My reps are 10 times more powerful than yours.

he-chose-poorly-23030.jpg

Yeah he would have to be a 4 here...especially if he gets back to 230-240 like he was.

It apparently is not a problem because we are his favorite though.

And that interview was in August, so maybe someone talked some sense into him about that.

Just tell him we will use him in the Carmelo Anthony role, and he will start from Day 1, while Notre Dame returns three starters who essentially play his position.

I hope we don't tell him that.

Yea, pretty much. As Ph said, just tell him whatever. We need better (and more) players, PF or not.

While he may say he doesn't want to be a 4, it seems like he's picking schools where even if he is a "4" he will still get to play on the perimeter a decent amount.

I'd like The Katenda to play something like Luol Deng. Model game after Deng. Watch tape of Deng.

We have a McKie and a Deng at the quasi-4 spot and we can do some work.

If he can shoot the 3 for us 40% completion he can play a 3-ish four for us. Otherwise, he needs to get his ass under the boards and earn his keep, just like some of our existing bigs who somehow think they're shooting guards. And if that is a problem for him, he really needs to go to nd or anywhere else, because he would be of no use to us.

Speaking 'bout toughness...

Back