• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit's First Pet Peeve Thread

yeah but you can have press coverage that wasn't earned (i.e., they reached out to you or just cited you without contacting you).

agreed, but the way he's using it is as a synonym for "press coverage". we never really pay for press unless it's an analyst type situation.

it's also in the way he says it-- real slowly and with a slight smirk. like he knows he just used a fancy word and is excited about getting to describe it for 5 minutes when somebody inevitably asks what it is.

People making calls from a business who do not announce who and where they're calling from.

People who don't say their name when answering a strange phone number.

Anyone who doesn't announce themselves on the phone, when calling you. There are obvious exceptions for family and friends, but otherwise I'm astounded at the number of people who just go "Hello. [awkward silence]"

As for the second point, who answers strange phone numbers on their personal/home phones? Let it roll to voicemail. Which leads me to:

People who call and don't leave voicemails.

Last edited:
"People who don't say their name when answering a strange phone number."

...do you mean a person answering a stranger's phone? Like, a desk phone different from your own, or your friend is driving and says "hey answer this for me, please."?

Because really, when someone calls my phone -even if it's not a recognized number- I assume they are calling ME specifically (it's my cell phone) and I will generally just say "Hello?" The onus is on them to introduce themselves to me, since they presumably know who I am. Work phone is different, that gets the same "Fiscal, this is ____" answer every time.

Anyone who doesn't announce themselves on the phone. There are obvious exceptions for family and friends, but otherwise I'm astounded at the number of people who just go "Hello. [awkward silence]"

As for the second point, who answers strange phone numbers? Let it roll to voicemail. Which leads me to:

People who call and don't leave voicemails.

I'm fine if someone calls and doesn't leave a voicemail, but they should never expect a call back. If no voicemail, I assume you don't need to talk to me after all.

If I receive a call at work from a random number, I'll say my first name when answering. If I receive a call on my cell from an unknown number, I will not answer with my name. Don't want to give the spammer or robot caller any info. Just a "hello?" for those.

"People who don't say their name when answering a strange phone number."

...do you mean a person answering a stranger's phone? Like, a desk phone different from your own, or your friend is driving and says "hey answer this for me, please."?

Because really, when someone calls my phone -even if it's not a recognized number- I assume they are calling ME specifically (it's my cell phone) and I will generally just say "Hello?" The onus is on them to introduce themselves to me, since they presumably know who I am. Work phone is different, that gets the same "Fiscal, this is ____" answer every time.

JUST SAY YOUR NAME WHEN YOU ANSWER THE PHONE

if i walk up to you at a party and say "hi, my name is ITC" do you not say "hi, i'm leebs"?

JUST SAY YOUR NAME WHEN YOU ANSWER THE PHONE

if i walk up to you at a party and say "hi, my name is ITC" do you not say "hi, i'm leebs"?

Yeah, in person when we're both meeting each other and you know nothing about me... but if you have my phone number and you are calling my personal cell phone, I'm going to assume that you know my name.

Also, what RTQ says. If I don't recognize the number, I don't want to give them my name if they don't already have it.

i don't understand the rationale for that at all. a telemarketer you can just hang up on. if it's a miss-dial, the confusion is ended immediately. if it's not a miss-dial, then you're not doing that weird back/forth investigation of "why are you calling me?"

millennial destruction of america

I'm much more likely to specifically greet the caller ("hi Mom!") than say my own name when I answer a call.

i don't understand the rationale for that at all. a telemarketer you can just hang up on. if it's a miss-dial, the confusion is ended immediately. if it's not a miss-dial, then you're not doing that weird back/forth investigation of "why are you calling me?"

millennial destruction of america

You're the one in the wrong here. Back when everyone had house phones, they didn't answer them with their names. You just answered - "hello?" - because whoever was calling knew you. History is on my side.
As for the situation of a miss-dial, I kind of enjoy those so it doesn't bother me to have the back/forth investigation. Sometimes they're funny, and it's no skin off my back to have to do that.
If you're the one making the call and hoping the correct person answers, when they say hello you can just say, "Hi, this is ITC calling with Vandalay Industries. May I speak with George Costanza, please?" and then if George answered his own phone, he'd just say "This is he." and you move along. BECAUSE THAT'S HOW PHONE CALLS WORK.

You're the one in the wrong here. Back when everyone had house phones, they didn't answer them with their names. You just answered - "hello?" - because whoever was calling knew you. History is on my side.
As for the situation of a miss-dial, I kind of enjoy those so it doesn't bother me to have the back/forth investigation. Sometimes they're funny, and it's no skin off my back to have to do that.
If you're the one making the call and hoping the correct person answers, when they say hello you can just say, "Hi, this is ITC calling with Vandalay Industries. May I speak with George Costanza, please?" and then if George answered his own phone, he'd just say "This is he." and you move along. BECAUSE THAT'S HOW PHONE CALLS WORK.

i think you're way off on this one. sorry.

leebs at :22

Last edited:
ITC, pretty sure you're wrong here. I don't know anyone who answers their personal or home phone with their name. Maybe this needs to be a separate thread poll..

Growing up, our parents made us answer the phone "LAST NAME residence, this is FIRST NAME." then as I got older it moved to just "hello" and with my cell phone it's usually "hello" or "hey, person's name." but I rarely answer numbers I don't know. leave a message if you actually want to talk to me.

with my work phone it's "This is FIRST NAME."

people who use fancy words instead of basic words just so they can sound impressive.

example: this guy on my team has used the term "earned media" in at least 5 different situations and counting. all of those situations resulted in someone saying "what's earned media?" he then explains it in a long drawn out way.

dude. it's the same thing as press coverage (which everybody understands). JUST SAY PRESS COVERAGE AND SAVE US 5 MINUTES.

I have that problem with people who use "game theory" when they could just as easily use "strategy".

Growing up, our parents made us answer the phone "LAST NAME residence, this is FIRST NAME." then as I got older it moved to just "hello" and with my cell phone it's usually "hello" or "hey, person's name." but I rarely answer numbers I don't know. leave a message if you actually want to talk to me.

with my work phone it's "This is FIRST NAME."

TITCR. I will answer my cell phone if it's a number I don't know with "This is FIRST NAME" and usually something like "can I help you"?

Goddamn, just went to take a leak in the staff single restroom. Coworker who used it before me (I think I know who it was too, the dork) absolutely destroyed it and left the underside of the seat dripping. So of course it was a close call when I lifted that seat as I am a polite coworker who doesn't even shit in there so I don't even chance something like that, especially if I sense I might have some explosions coming. Just clean your shit, dude.

My office phone has caller ID so when I know the person and I think I can get away with it, my typical greeting this month is: "new phone. who dis?" Sometimes, I'll speak Spanish for a few sentences to see if they'll hang up.

I am probably their pet peeve.

When people look at their phone, see who's calling them, and answer it, "Hello?", as if they have no idea who's calling.

Back