• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit's First Pet Peeve Thread

people who park their cart in front of a display and then proceed to stare at everything on the shelf, while having no self-awareness about the fact that they are blocking everyone else from getting anything from that area. I usually just patiently wait but it still is annoying.

my children can't drive the cart for shit so I don't let them. so much rudeness.

also, not in the store but just ran across this: people who suddenly realize they are in the right lane but need to turn left, so rather than going another block and circling back, they slam on the brakes and block everyone while they cross three lanes of traffic.

Yeah the lack of self-awareness and courtesy is what kills me in the grocery store. It's usually the move of stopping in an aisle with your cart on one side, but then searching the shelves opposite of where the cart is, so they are effectively blocking the whole aisle while they pick out the perfect can of green beans or whatever. But in general is just super slow movement. Effing hurry up people - unlike you I'm trying to spend as little time in the grocery store as possible

Googling a recipe, and have to wade through a 5+ paragraph origin story to get to the recipe. I don't know you or care about your childhood, I just want some damn gorgonzola mac. Also, excessive use of pictures in these recipes. I know what half a cup of milk looks like, thanks.

I hate when the self checkout yells at me to put my items in the bag if I don't want to use a damn bag. Why the hell do you care where the item is?

Sounds like you're bad at self-checkout. You don't have to put things in a bag, just need to trigger the scale that matches the product scanned with an acceptable item weight. You just have to leave it there until payment and then throw everything in a bag.

The guy at the deli who is always ahead of you that requests a quarter pound of everything in the fucking deli case AND is extra picky about the slice thickness which has to be set unique for each of his items.

Doesn't work for big things though. Other day I went to buy paper towels and a big thing of TP and after I scanned one I set it in top of the bagging area which wouldn't trigger the scale. Had to call the person over. It's especially annoying because it was at the massive store by my office but they only ever have like 2 or 3 of maybe 20 cashier lanes open no matter when you go.

I'm almost obsessed with First In/First Out (queues). I appreciate places like Chick Fil A, where you have to line up in a winding queue. I should be seen before someone who arrives after me. I will grocery stores could pull this off, but the real estate just isn't there. Walmart somewhat has this, with their self-checkout area.

I come across some intersections where a lane closure/merge is occurring down the road (for instance, at a traffic light intersection, one lane merges shortly after crossing over). Everyone gets queued up in the lane that is not closing. Why? You should queue up in both lanes as you arrive, since the zipper pattern should yield fairness, where the merge occurs. I know this gets difficult to judge when you're car #15; but this would be the correct way to handle it.

I come across some intersections where a lane closure/merge is occurring down the road (for instance, at a traffic light intersection, one lane merges shortly after crossing over). Everyone gets queued up in the lane that is not closing. Why? You should queue up in both lanes as you arrive, since the zipper pattern should yield fairness, where the merge occurs. I know this gets difficult to judge when you're car #15; but this would be the correct way to handle it.

You've got to love the citizen police who think no one should be in a legal lane that is ending (read: has not ended) thousands of feet down the road, and prevent any efforts at zipper merging.

Suddenly all creative productions whether they be TV shows, movies, written articles, youtube videos, podcasts, etc. being referred to as "content" kind of annoys me

What is the snapchat streak thing, and why do all my kids care about it so much?

It annoys me.

Grocery cashier to little old lady in front of me: "That will be $38.17"

Little old lady in front of me proceeds to open her pocket book which is in the fold-down thing of her shopping cart, fishes out her check book, places check book on the ledge thingy by the card scanner, looks at read-out for the total again, writes check out with pain-staking clarity, hands check to cashier, takes receipt and puts in her wallet, opens check book again and writes check amount on her check register, subtracts $38.17 to get he new balance, then places her check book back in her pocket book. if I'm lucky she leaves before recalling that she forgot to give the cashier a coupon.

Grocery cashier to little old lady in front of me: "That will be $38.17"

Little old lady in front of me proceeds to open her pocket book which is in the fold-down thing of her shopping cart, fishes out her check book, places check book on the ledge thingy by the card scanner, looks at read-out for the total again, writes check out with pain-staking clarity, hands check to cashier, takes receipt and puts in her wallet, opens check book again and writes check amount on her check register, subtracts $38.17 to get he new balance, then places her check book back in her pocket book. if I'm lucky she leaves before recalling that she forgot to give the cashier a coupon.

I have never been in such a rush that I can't pause a moment to appreciate little old ladies who still conduct their business like this.

OTOH, I get enraged by rubes who can't figure out the self-checkout and clog up the works for the rest of us.

My coworker says “as a just in case” instead of simply “just in case” and it drives me bonkers.

Yeah the old lady problem is partially on you for picking that line - sizing up the customers in line and the cashier is a big part of winning the checkout line game

OTOH, I get enraged by rubes who can't figure out the self-checkout and clog up the works for the rest of us.

I'm right there with you. In my mind, these lines should be for people who can and will check out very quickly.

If you have over say, 8 items, and/or you can't expediently self check-out, gtfo out the way and join a regular line.

Back