• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit's First Pet Peeve Thread

Self-checkout lines are just a big middle finger to the customer.

I’m a yuge self checkout guy because the way fellas and lady fellas conduct business in grocery lines in ole meeje is the seventh circle of hell

I'm slightly peeved by sports announcers who use irrelevant or obvious terms. "Score the basketball" - what else do you use to score in that game? "A great golf shot" - tell me again what sport we're watching?

or when football announcers have to emphasize "National Football League" rather than just saying the league or NFL.

Situational advertisements, which are omnipresent in high school football broadcasts.

"Here's Johnson on the carry - hit at the line but he stretches forward for a Taylor Law Group 1st Down!!! Taylor Law Group, in business since 1939, is your friend in the neighborhood! Ask about their two-for-one divorce special - and make sure you mention you heard it on this broadcast!"

"You know, Jim, Johnson did well to get that Taylor Law Group 1st Down, but I think if he had hit the hole a bit quicker he could have gone all the way for a Hank Edson Dodge touchdown. Hank Edson Dodge - your source for the best ride in town! All credit applications approved immediately! Even your wife's! No one will give you a better ride than Hank! Conveniently located in Greensboro, High Point & Winston-Salem! I think the inside linebacker was slow to react. Opportunity missed."

Ugh ...

listening to high school football broadcasts

I'm slightly peeved by sports announcers who use irrelevant or obvious terms. "Score the basketball" - what else do you use to score in that game? "A great golf shot" - tell me again what sport we're watching?

Or head basketball coaches for that matter.

Here’s one that’s popped up quite a bit lately on the million page coach threads. “What have I been missing? Can someone please take the time to condense the previous 25 pages into a digestible summary that I can scan at my leisure?” No you ass, just take 5 minutes and flip through all the pages yourself like everyone else who is posting from work.

There's plenty of attention on the interwebz to leaving the office coffee pot empty, but I don't drink coffee.

People who drain the water jug and leave it empty should be dragged out into the street and beaten. A full replacement is too heavy for you to lift? Fuck you ask for help. We don't even have a full size in our office - we have a half size. It probably weighs as much as two milk jugs or a medium-size bag of dog food. Dicks.

/rant

Truck companies should not proudly advertise trailer-backup-assist technology. Cameras are okay, but if you cannot properly back up your trailer yourself then (a) you shouldn't be using a trailer, and (b) you shouldn't be driving a truck. Go buy a Suburban with the rest of the soccer moms. If they are going to promote it, it should be in hiding like genital wart treatments. "Hey, sorry you are a pussy and can't back up your trailer, but we've come up with something to try to help you save face at the boat ramp if you tint your windows and duck."

Similarly, car companies should not advertise parallel parking assist. If you can't parallel park then you shouldn't have a drivers license.

Our office has one of those commercial coffee makers that has three scalding burners to hold multiple pots. I’m that guy who is always turning off the burner switches on the break room coffee maker because morons leave an almost empty pot smoking on the burner which turns the remaining drops of coffee to smoldering carbon lava. Or the machine has no pots on it but morons flip on all three burner switches and walk away. I feel responsible for making sure this whole place doesn’t burn down.

And the men’s bathroom...some of these folks must have been raised in a barn given the messes and clearly must still be dining there given the apparent diets of this place. Jesus.

Back