• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit's First Pet Peeve Thread

I've played in a lot of different games with a lot of dumbass rules. I've finally aged out of the open run at the Y on Sundays. Not so much because I can't hang physically anymore, although that day is rapidly approaching, but because the dogshit basketball the high schoolers and early 20's kids play is so infuriating I can't stand to play it anymore. I've reached the "get of my lawn" age with basketball apparently.

Our main game was on Saturday mornings (there were games every night but didn't have all our guys). We would typically have 15-30 guys. Once we got to 20, we'd play on two courts.

There was a pecking order. The only way players from the other court could play in our game would be if we needed a body on an odd day. The other players could call winners, but they knew better.

Hell, if we played with 2s, I might still try to play.

Our main game was on Saturday mornings (there were games every night but didn't have all our guys). We would typically have 15-30 guys. Once we got to 20, we'd play on two courts.

There was a pecking order. The only way players from the other court could play in our game would be if we needed a body on an odd day. The other players could call winners, but they knew better.

Hell, if we played with 2s, I might still try to play.

About to play some pickup in open gym with my high school guys. It’s even more annoying when you know their shitty habits are partially your fault.

We didn't play with HS guys. There weren't almost no guys under 25. Once in a while a couple would show up.

RE: habits- one of our guys was an assistant coach at Mater Dei. He brought Taylor King to the park to do some drills. Taylor showed up with towels draped over his head and gym bag full of stuff. I asked the coach if I could do a drill with Taylor. He said it was fine. I told Taylor to put his bag on the semi-circle deep in the lane and put his towels on top of it. He did.

I told him to stand a step in front of that pile. I took the ball past the three point line. As I got to the FT line, I did a jab step and yelled, "Fall down".

The two of them looked at me quizzically. I told them I was preparing Taylor how to play D at Duke.

His coach glared, "That might work at Duke, but your ass will be on the bench at Mater Dei if you do that."

This just reminds me of the time Grayson Allen came to the local Y in Jacksonville to hoop after winning the Championship his freshman year decked head to toe in Duke Natty Champ gear.

That is a douche move. he's lucky he didn't do that at an outside court in NY, Philly or Chicago.

This just reminds me of the time Grayson Allen came to the local Y in Jacksonville to hoop after winning the Championship his freshman year decked head to toe in Duke Natty Champ gear.

How many fouls did he call?

I've played in a lot of different games with a lot of dumbass rules. I've finally aged out of the open run at the Y on Sundays. Not so much because I can't hang physically anymore, although that day is rapidly approaching, but because the dogshit basketball the high schoolers and early 20's kids play is so infuriating I can't stand to play it anymore. I've reached the "get of my lawn" age with basketball apparently.

I quit playing pickup games at the Y about 5 years ago for this exact reason. By my late 20's I was already so annoyed with absolute trash basketball, that it took the fun out of it.

There's plenty of pet peeve behavior in corec sports in general. Beer league softball may be the worst - some guys play like they think MLB scouts are sitting there watching.

My biggest PP is probably dudes who are decked out in full gear - baseball pants, belt, batting gloves, arm bands, eye black, etc. It's slow pitch softball for fucks sake.

There's plenty of pet peeve behavior in corec sports in general. Beer league softball may be the worst - some guys play like they think MLB scouts are sitting there watching.

My biggest PP is probably dudes who are decked out in full gear - baseball pants, belt, batting gloves, arm bands, eye black, etc. It's slow pitch softball for fucks sake.

I play in a co-ed kickball league and I'm surprised there aren't more people that are way over the top. If the score is close you see peoples competitive streaks come out, but for the most part, it's pretty laid back.

Kids having to have everything changed to a cutesy little Insta-worthy entity- it's not Homecoming anymore, it's "HoCo". What, is saying the word Homecoming that much more effing effort to say?

Kids having to have everything changed to a cutesy little Insta-worthy entity- it's not Homecoming anymore, it's "HoCo". What, is saying the word Homecoming that much more effing effort to say?

Also get off my lawn.

I play in a co-ed kickball league and I'm surprised there aren't more people that are way over the top. If the score is close you see peoples competitive streaks come out, but for the most part, it's pretty laid back.

I think kickball and soccer have a tendency to be pretty chill on the field. I played in a soccer league awhile back and it was great.

Th way Baseball is played seems like it would really lend itself to a gunner rolling in and trying to ruin fun forever.

I played in a co-ed slow pitch league a few years ago in Newport Beach. The lady play third played like we were playing fast pitch. She couldn't have been more than forty feet from home. Then, she starting talking shit. I asked her to move back saying it was dangerous to be there. She started talking more shit.

I saw the shortstop cringing and figured he was her significant other and suggested he talk some sense into her. She moved back only a couple of feet. I hit the first pitch right past her ear. The next time she didn't talk and moved behind the bag.

I had something happen in that league that I had never seen in all the years I played. I was playing LF. An opponent hit a fly towards me. As I moved to catch it, all of a sudden, all the sprinklers in the outfield turned on. I paused for a split second, then went after and caught the ball. They had to stop the game until the sprinklers went off.

Back