• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit's First Pet Peeve Thread

i am annoyed by people who have SUPER fancy cameras and subsequently think they're awesome photographers. sigh. a fancy camera and iPhoto don't make you a great photographer.

RAVIOLI THAT HAS A FREAKING HOLE IN IT AND SPEWS ITS CONTENTS INTO THE WATER

People who overcook a good piece of meat.

Along with BBD's ravioli one, when you break the yolk and any type of fried egg or nice omlette becomes scrambled eggs.

...or people that yell at their kids/make a scene because their kid's not perfectly quiet in the store. I saw (well heard more than saw) a mom doing this to her ~4 year old this afternoon, when the kid wasn't doing anything outside of normal 4 year old behavior. It just makes me sad; if she'll talk like that in public to her child, how does she act at home?

On a less sad panda note - I get annoyed when the workout room at the gym is pretty much empty and somebody has to take the machine right next to me. Dude, really?

In fairness to that Mom, you really don't know what went on before the freak out. One time my Mom got pretty angry with me in a store when I was a lot younger because I had been a total douche the entire day. Straightened me right out and I seldom acted out in public after that incident.

people in class (or anywhere really) who as really pointless questions that make no sense...the professor obviously wants to tell them that it is a dumb irrelevant question but they can't...

Similarly, when the professor runs 2-3 minutes over and people ask questions that keep the entire class there longer. I'm sorry you were too dumb to get the topic, but don't keep the rest of us here longer.

people who don't understand how an alternate merge works...

Similarly, when the professor runs 2-3 minutes over and people ask questions that keep the entire class there longer. I'm sorry you were too dumb to get the topic, but don't keep the rest of us here longer.

That is the worst. Especially the people that ask legitimately dumb questions during that time.

Or people who have a question on a topic or diagram from ten slides back. Not only does the prof have to scroll back, but the whole learning train is derailed for everyone.

So frustrating.

In fairness to that Mom, you really don't know what went on before the freak out. One time my Mom got pretty angry with me in a store when I was a lot younger because I had been a total douche the entire day. Straightened me right out and I seldom acted out in public after that incident.

True, I'm sure I got yelled at as a little kid myself. I don't mean that she was necessarily a bad mom, but she could have kept it down just a little (I was halfway across the store and still heard every word she said).

However, I also worked in pediatrics for a while and saw several moms yelling at their kids for absolutely no reason...if your kid is 2, there's no reason to get mad at him and jerk his hand back if he's getting into the magazines in the exam room, for example - most kids learn by exploring, and a 2 year old's not really going to understand why you're yelling at him anyway. Now, if you lectured a 4 year old for acting out in a store, they would probably remember it and straighten up a little more...but I think there's an appropriate way to do it without sounding "ugly."

Last edited:
I forgot to add a "your child isn't THAT special" story earlier.

I was on a plane the other day with my son. In front of us sits this couple, one of whom has the stay-at-home-mom "look" to her. She's holding an ugly baby girl with a hideous bow in her hair, so I know what I'm in for.

She starts off with this cutesy voice, pretending to be her daughter. "I'm Ella and I'm 9 months old, what's your name?" Grudgingly, I tell her his name and he's 15 months. She responds with "Ohhhh, an older man. What are your feelings about dating younger girls?"

She of course thinks it's super-cute and funny while I give her the "shut up, I'm just trying to get through this flight without identifying you as Al Qaeda so the air marshal would shoot you" look. She continued for most of the flight with the same schlock.

I get that same type of crap at playgrounds and pretty much everywhere I take my son and I never initiate it and the other parent always thinks it's cute.

Anyone who is loud on a plane. Shut the hell up! I'm trying to take a nap. AND DO NOT WAKE ME TO ASK IF I WANT A DRINK!

Disgustingly sick coworkers that keep snorting snot instead of blowing their nose.

Parents in restaurants who let their kids cover the table, seats, and floor with food and then just leave and expect someone else to clean up the mess.

Everyone in the security line at the airport, especially:
- women with lots of jewelry
- people who walk through the metal detector with metal in their pockets or big ass belt buckles (see NC State fans at RDU)
- kids of any age
- those who don't take laptops out of bags
- those that don't have their IDs out
- those with strollers
- those that create a scene that say their constitutional rights are being violated

Last edited:
People telling me "sleep while you can" - um pregnancy=insomnia I would sleep if I could. also, do you think you're the first person in the world to point out that babies don't sleep or that the thought never occurred to me?

the people who are working on a group[ project and refuse to DO THE ACTUAL ASSIGNMENT because they think it threatens the integrity of their research. Um, it's for a stupid class, just do what the prof wants so we can move on

students who have been provided with EVERYTHING they need to answer a questionthey have (multiple times) still emailing me 3 times asking it about 12 hours before the assignment is due. You're freshmen in college, take some responsibility

True, I'm sure I got yelled at as a little kid myself. I don't mean that she was necessarily a bad mom, but she could have kept it down just a little (I was halfway across the store and still heard every word she said).

However, I also worked in pediatrics for a while and saw several moms yelling at their kids for absolutely no reason...if your kid is 2, there's no reason to get mad at him and jerk his hand back if he's getting into the magazines in the exam room, for example - most kids learn by exploring, and a 2 year old's not really going to understand why you're yelling at him anyway. Now, if you lectured a 4 year old for acting out in a store, they would probably remember it and straighten up a little more...but I think there's an appropriate way to do it without sounding "ugly."

Gotcha, yea I agree that some parents go wayy overboard and I feel so bad for their kids.

Overly fat or skinny kids that are overly loud or shy whose parents are overly protective or overly unattentive, and who are over or under eating and then not cleaning up after themselves, or being too clean.

Back