• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Single-Serve Coffee Makers

4 egg macmuffins and a large mac-donald's coffee every morning

FTW!

I have a birthday coming up soon, and am at a loss of what to get outside of cash/gift cards.

I'm currently debating a Keurig vs. a Tassimo

My mom has a Keurig, and she bought my brother one for his birthday. I generally like more types of coffee (espresso, tea, etc) and I'm thinking I might like the flexibility of the Tassimo. My big concern is price per cup of coffee though, and I just want it to taste good. Sometimes I find the K-Cups to be a bit weak.

Any thoughts?

BTW: Love the search function.

I'm guessing there's a wider selection and higher availability of K-cups.

I agree with you that sometimes the k-cups can taste a bit weak, but the dark and bold varieties are usually pretty good. The price per cup is definitely a concern over a regular coffee maker, but it's a little better if you make sure to buy them with coupons. I also made sure to keep my regular coffee pot around when I got a keurig so that I can alternate between ground coffee and k-cups to save some money.

My husband gave me a Keurig Elite for my birthday and I've been loving it! Such a variety of Kcups available and I've decided I like the lighter blends. We use it for tea, cocoa, and hot cider too. When I'm shopping I don't see near as many options for Tassimo. You can get deals by using coupons, esp at Bed Bath and Beyond or Kohl's. I've also gotten goods deals on variety packs of K cups on Amazon.

As has been said, the dark and bold blends seem to hold their strength well. I will even double brew those to weaken it enough so it's in my drinking range :D

Last edited:
Hmm... I guess that the Keurig makes more sense. When I use my mom's I usually use one of the dark blends and brew it twice on the smaller cup setting. Seems like it makes it stronger than brewing one bigger cup.

i have the same one.

my friend swears by using one of these:

120291coffee_manualdrip1.jpg

So, what is that?

Excuse me for being late to the thread, but a french press really isn't any sort of inconvenience. I put the water in the microwave for 6 minutes(could probably do an electric kettle even quicker) while I'm grinding my beans (with a burr grinder; optional, but preferred) and making my breakfast. Water is ready, pour it in the press, wait 4 minutes and press it down. Cleanup is rinsing it out, which is easier than with a traditional coffee maker. So, 10 minutes from start to finish, in which time I'm also making and eating my breakfast.

But yeah, $20 and pretty awesome if you can do things at your leisure and are only making the coffee for one person.

Excuse me for being late to the thread, but a french press really isn't any sort of inconvenience. I put the water in the microwave for 6 minutes(could probably do an electric kettle even quicker) while I'm grinding my beans (with a burr grinder; optional, but preferred) and making my breakfast. Water is ready, pour it in the press, wait 4 minutes and press it down. Cleanup is rinsing it out, which is easier than with a traditional coffee maker. So, 10 minutes from start to finish, in which time I'm also making and eating my breakfast.

But yeah, $20 and pretty awesome if you can do things at your leisure and are only making the coffee for one person.

+1 to this

You can get a decent grinder, french press, and tea kettle for less than a price of a Keurig. The coffee will be way better, but yes it takes a little more time than a Keurig.

To lower your cost per cup, I'd get one of these http://www.amazon.com/Keurig-K-Cup-Reusable-Coffee-Filter/dp/B000DLB2FI

If you drink a lot of coffee, i'd get something else. If you are a 1 or 2 cup per day person, I think the convenience of a Keurig makes it worth it.

I was going to post this as well. You can still buy ground coffee and fill your own k-cups. This cuts your cost down, maintains the ease of single serve options, and you can adjust your brew strength by how much coffee you put in the filter.

Just to clarify, it takes 6 minutes for your microwave to boil water? Or does it get hotter past the boiling point?

I have the Keurig and like it.

Just to clarify, it takes 6 minutes for your microwave to boil water? Or does it get hotter past the boiling point?

The 6 minutes gets 22 oz. from fridge temps to right at a boil in a glass measuring cup. Is that longer than you would expect? I do think my microwave kind of sucks.

I know that this doesn't fit with the single-serve theme, but I love our coffee maker with built in grinder. And we have a gold filter that we wash out after every use that lets a lot more oil into the drink than a paper filter:

dgb-900bc.jpg

I have the Keurig and like it.

The 6 minutes gets 22 oz. from fridge temps to right at a boil in a glass measuring cup. Is that longer than you would expect? I do think my microwave kind of sucks.

I would think water would boil in around 2 or 3 minutes. But I am wrong as often as am right.

I know that this doesn't fit with the single-serve theme, but I love our coffee maker with built in grinder. And we have a gold filter that we wash out after every use that lets a lot more oil into the drink than a paper filter:

dgb-900bc.jpg

i have that one, but w/o the grinder. not a big fan of the ones with grinders because i thought the one i had before was a pain to clean. i have that+2 different sized french presses.

i just use a tea kettle. that thing boils water pretty fast on my gas burner with super high setting.

Keurig Vue is awesome for a quick single serve cup. Definitely does not produce a weak large coffee like the original K-cups do...

Just FYI - skip the French Press as your daily coffee source if you have any worries about cholesterol. Or any other unfiltered coffee really.

Back