• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Single-Serve Coffee Makers

I will chime in to add that the customer service at Keurig is very impressive. We have had one for a couple years and love it. The one time we had any issue with it not brewing properly, we spent about ten minutes on the phone trying to get the problem resolved before they agreed to ship us a new one. And we were technically a week or two past the expiration of our warranty.

i have that one, but w/o the grinder. not a big fan of the ones with grinders because i thought the one i had before was a pain to clean. i have that+2 different sized french presses.

This one is a snap to clean, at least in my opinion. French press is defs a a better cup, and we have a couple, but this is easier for a tuesday morning.

i have the same one.

my friend swears by using one of these:

120291coffee_manualdrip1.jpg

I use a similar device, made by Hario. With a little practice, you an use it to make wonderful coffee exactly how you like it. Without all the hot water + plastic you get with most machines, which I don't like.

I use a similar device, made by Hario. With a little practice, you an use it to make wonderful coffee exactly how you like it. Without all the hot water + plastic you get with most machines, which I don't like.

I just watched a video showing how to use the Hario jammer. Looks awesome. May have to pick one up.

Don't know what is the "jammer". But I found this funny video that tells you pretty much how to use my device.

When I'm making enough coffee for several people, I use a total immersion technique that's a bit different. But this thread is about making a single cup.

Don't know what is the "jammer". But I found this funny video that tells you pretty much how to use my device.

When I'm making enough coffee for several people, I use a total immersion technique that's a bit different. But this thread is about making a single cup.

That's the vid I saw

Okay. I need a single serving coffee maker for my home. Willing to put some time and effort into making it. Any thoughts on what would be a good purchase as a single pot or press for home? Considering the thread is over 5 years old, not sure if people’s opinions have changed.

Edit: Should have taken my own advice 3ish years ago.

Last edited:
Okay, so we got a puppy for Christmas which has nothing to do with this thread. However, instead of going to get my coffee every morning around 5:30 AM, I'm now taking him for a long walk.

I'm the only person who drinks coffee in my household, so give me some new recommendations 2 years in the making. Generally just need about 16 ounces of black coffee each morning. I don't enjoy coffee out of a Keurig.

Is Aeorpress still the answer?

Okay, so we got a puppy for Christmas which has nothing to do with this thread. However, instead of going to get my coffee every morning around 5:30 AM, I'm now taking him for a long walk.

I'm the only person who drinks coffee in my household, so give me some new recommendations 2 years in the making. Generally just need about 16 ounces of black coffee each morning. I don't enjoy coffee out of a Keurig.

I bought the Bonavita 5 cup. makes 2-3 solid cups of coffee..maybe 24oz total coffee?

If you want a machine, one of these will produce a good cup.

If you want to do it manually, i really like the aeropress, clever dripper or French press

i like my keurig honestly. I use SF Bay compostable pods.

I absolutely love our Ratio 8. It's kind of like a pour over, but not as much of a pain. We have a burr grinder next to it and grind per cup. Super easy but makes a great cup.

lol…looking back I see already discussed pour over.

Still my favorite way to make a single cup of coffee.

I absolutely love our Ratio 8. It's kind of like a pour over, but not as much of a pain. We have a burr grinder next to it and grind per cup. Super easy but makes a great cup.

Similarly i have the oxo 8 cup from that SCA link and grind fresh beans daily. I have a chemex and kettle as well if I ever feel like making pour over but with the ease and taste of the oxo I rarely bother.

i like my keurig honestly. I use SF Bay compostable pods.
The Keurig Elite that my husband got me in 2012 finally died last year - 11 year run was a good one! We replaced it with today's equivalent model; why mess with what works for us? During Covid, we started using the reusable K-cup and local coffee from Larry's Coffee. Definitely saves $$ with an upgrade in the quality of beans.

Similarly i have the oxo 8 cup from that SCA link and grind fresh beans daily. I have a chemex and kettle as well if I ever feel like making pour over but with the ease and taste of the oxo I rarely bother.
yeah I've been very happy with my combo of Oxo burr grinder and Oxo 9 cup coffee maker. They make good equipment.

Back