• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Single-Serve Coffee Makers

DeaconPeach

Beer me
Reaction score
Now that I'm working at home, I'm missing coffee and am looking into acquiring a single-serve coffee maker. Considering I really didn't even like coffee until about 2-3 years ago, this is a new venture for me. 1297 is not a coffee fan, but I know they make hot chocolate, tea, and hot ciders that can be used in them too, so I figure it might be a nice thing to have for both of us.

I know that Keurig is the most recognizable brand for these, but I'm looking for recommendations, experiences, any other info you can provide to help us in the decision-making process. Don't want or need anything fancy or high-tech, just something that works well and has options to make other beverages than coffee too. Looking to keep the cost under $150.

For example: I've seen 2 Keurig models that are typically $20 different in price: Keurig Elite is usually around $119.99 & Keurig Mini-PLUS is around $99.99. Can anyone speak to why one would be better than the other?

Thanks y'all!

54nescafeinstantcoffee.jpg

I'm the only coffee drinker in my house and I use this:
http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DCC-1200-Central-Coffeemaker-Brushed/dp/B00005IBX9

It has a setting for making 1-4 cups which is what I use unless we have guests and I make a big pot of coffee. I don't feel like there's much waste and I have more control over how I want to make the coffee (weaker or stronger).

I believe the pot is based on a 6 ounce coffee cup, so 3-4 cups is the same amount as a "Large" to-go cup from someplace.

My issue with the K-Cups is that if you brew a "large" cup you're just pushing more water through the same cup, leaving you with a tall, weak cup of coffee.

That said, my friends with Keurigs love them.

I bought my GF a Kuerig from Sam's Club as a house warming gift last month... I think I paid $135 and it included something like 48 K-Cups (and its one of the nicer models with the digital display and <1-minute brewing time).

She has used it every single day since (and loves it).

I've never tried it (I've never even tasted coffee), but I just bought a 12 pack of Hot Chocolate K-cups so i might give it a try here soon.

ETA- This is the one (her parents have the smaller one and she claims this one is 10X better):
images

Last edited:
I'm the only coffee drinker in my house and I use this:
http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DCC-1200-Central-Coffeemaker-Brushed/dp/B00005IBX9

It has a setting for making 1-4 cups which is what I use unless we have guests and I make a big pot of coffee. I don't feel like there's much waste and I have more control over how I want to make the coffee (weaker or stronger).

I believe the pot is based on a 6 ounce coffee cup, so 3-4 cups is the same amount as a "Large" to-go cup from someplace.

My issue with the K-Cups is that if you brew a "large" cup you're just pushing more water through the same cup, leaving you with a tall, weak cup of coffee.

That said, my friends with Keurigs love them.

i have the same one.

my friend swears by using one of these:

120291coffee_manualdrip1.jpg

We have the Elite and the Mrs loves it. No need to get the fancy digital faced one. If you're too lazy to push a button for coffee, then you've got bigger issues.

Also... I'll add- When i bought the Kuerig from Sam's Club; I got a pack of the 'perfect touch' paper cups and matching coffee lids... for 250 of each was like $15.

I think that was a pretty good purchase because the thing is pretty much used when she's running out the door & this makes everything a lot easier.

we have the elite. love it.

I used a Keurig for a year, but now I'm going back to this. So simple and easy to control the amount. For someone who's sensitive to caffeine yet still likes coffee, that's important.

Got a Keurig almost 2 years ago and love it. I'm the only one in my house that drinks coffee and usually only a cup a day so it is perfect for me. If you have more than one coffee drinker or drink a lot of coffee everyday, it might not be worth the cost.

Buy a $20 French Press. If you don't like it, shell out for the kourig. If you can't wait 3 minutes for a superior cup of coffee, then something something.

Buy a $20 French Press. If you don't like it, shell out for the kourig. If you can't wait 3 minutes for a superior cup of coffee, then something something.

French press = more clean-up bro. Plus you gotta boil the water yourself... so annoying.

French press = more clean-up bro. Plus you gotta boil the water yourself... so annoying.

While I admit to being a beer snob, I'm definitely not that about coffee. Most people I know who have a French press are very particular about their coffee beans, etc. and I don't really care that much, so I'm all about easy to make, easy to clean, easy to care for.

you could always purchase a hot pot and have boiled water on hand.

bought one at a Asian grocery store.

yup. and a french press is super easy to clean. i just rinse mine out and put it in the dish rack. if ease outweighs the cost savings and taste, then go for a keurig. i just see a keurig as something taht takes up more counter space, costs more, and isnt as good. to each his/her own, though.

Back