• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Asheville Restaurants

Booked the B&B. Booked Limones for dinner one night. Booked Eating Asheville High Roller Tour for one afternoon (NOT the same night as dinner reservations). Will be playing the rest by ear.

Our B&B is actually not far from Nine Mile, so that's a potential at some point. Also considering White Duck Taco, Pizza Pura, Salsa's, or Wicked Weed for a lighter dinner or lunch one day.

Will probably do the B&B breakfast 2/3 days, and will hit up either Early Girl, Sunny Point, or Tupelo the other morning. I take the points mentioned above about the first two, but I think every person (off the boards) I asked about Asheville recs said we HAD to go to Tupelo Honey.

Booked the B&B. Booked Limones for dinner one night. Booked Eating Asheville High Roller Tour for one afternoon (NOT the same night as dinner reservations). Will be playing the rest by ear.

Our B&B is actually not far from Nine Mile, so that's a potential at some point. Also considering White Duck Taco, Pizza Pura, Salsa's, or Wicked Weed for a lighter dinner or lunch one day.

Will probably do the B&B breakfast 2/3 days, and will hit up either Early Girl, Sunny Point, or Tupelo the other morning. I take the points mentioned above about the first two, but I think every person (off the boards) I asked about Asheville recs said we HAD to go to Tupelo Honey.

Because they're noobs. It's just ok. There are 8 other locations and 4 more opening in the next year or so (including Myrtle Beach!), go to one of those some other time.

If you really have to go it's almost worth it to drive to the one in South Asheville since they take reservations at least.

Because they're noobs. It's just ok. There are 8 other locations and 4 more opening in the next year or so (including Myrtle Beach!), go to one of those some other time.

If you really have to go it's almost worth it to drive to the one in South Asheville since they take reservations at least.

truth.

Go to Early Girl; it keeps you downtown and it's awesome and it's only in Asheville. Oh man... the breakfast quiche I got there last time :drool:

Define expensive as hell

Maybe its just me but I was in town to see customers last week and spent a night. I took one customer out to lunch and we rolled over to Mayfels. All sandwiches and burgers started at $11, a little pricey I thought. I took another couple of guys to dinner at the Admiral and entrees were in the $26-$32 range. In between we drank and had some apps over at Packs Tavern. I have been to all 3 places over the years and found them all to be about 10-15% higher than they were about 1 year ago.

This was on the company dime so I am not really bitching except that I have skin in the game but it seems like Asheville is getting a little uppity and losing some edge by catering to more upscale folks. Or it could simply be a case of the ever spiraling cost of food. All in all it was good but more expensive than the last time I was up.

Maybe its just me but I was in town to see customers last week and spent a night. I took one customer out to lunch and we rolled over to Mayfels. All sandwiches and burgers started at $11, a little pricey I thought. I took another couple of guys to dinner at the Admiral and entrees were in the $26-$32 range. In between we drank and had some apps over at Packs Tavern. I have been to all 3 places over the years and found them all to be about 10-15% higher than they were about 1 year ago.

This was on the company dime so I am not really bitching except that I have skin in the game but it seems like Asheville is getting a little uppity and losing some edge by catering to more upscale folks. Or it could simply be a case of the ever spiraling cost of food. All in all it was good but more expensive than the last time I was up.

New restaurants are going to get hit with higher rent too. Maybe some of the older places are locked in at lower rates, but see an opportunity to raise prices based on what the newer places are charging.

I forget...who is "Deac" on DR.com?

And referencing that post, 12 Bones is closed on weekends? That would help us cross one possibility off our list.

I love a kitchen stool seat, it's true

As I said on the CT, highly recommend checking out Seven Sows...next door to Wicked Weed so could get birs before or after.

And referencing that post, 12 Bones is closed on weekends? That would help us cross one possibility off our list.

Oh, it's Barca.

that's me. and yes only M-F. we were at the River Arts District planning to eat there but instead had to backtrack to Wicked Weed (not far, like 5 mins)

There is another 12 bones location that is open for lunch 11-4 (technically in Arden) on Saturdays if you reallly wanted it on a weekend.

Question for Asheville peeps, what do you think the tipping point is for the city before it starts sucking. It is getting so much publicity, a bunch of new hotels, larger breweries, etc. I just worry that now that it's so popular it will be overrun with tourists and money that a lot of the local stuff that gives it so much of it's charm will be pushed out.

Thoughts?

Question for Asheville peeps, what do you think the tipping point is for the city before it starts sucking. It is getting so much publicity, a bunch of new hotels, larger breweries, etc. I just worry that now that it's so popular it will be overrun with tourists and money that a lot of the local stuff that gives it so much of it's charm will be pushed out.

Thoughts?

As an outsider, I feel like from what i know of the city and it's population the people really care about supporting local businesses etc. With that in mind, most of the good ones are probably going to do just fine. Not sure there are any good comparisons for cities of similar sizes that got too popular/overcrowded and were subsequently "ruined".

I browse real estate in Asheville once a month or so (I'm pushing to move there pretty hard in the next 2-3 years) and it seems that prices are still pretty stable (not too high) in West Asheville/River Arts District. You'll know the city is on it's way to being overcrowded when demand pushes the prices for those locales way up.

Thoughts?

Asheville still has a ways to go before that happens...at least in my opinion
You need money and people to support all these cool restaurants and breweries and the fact is that there isn't much industry in Asheville and the population base by itself certainly can't support those things, so you need to rely on tourism and people with second homes.

Can good food be found in Asheville in a cool atmosphere that is not expensive as hell?

The atmosphere may not meet everyone's definition of cool but my wife and I enjoyed Isa's Café. Food was outstanding and prices were not bad.

Is Tupelo too mainstream now?

ehhh. that's like not liking a band because they got popular. as long as the food still tastes good, wgaf.
i think it loses some appeal/charm because it's now available so many places outside of Asheville so it's not as much of a MUST HIT while you're there... but that doesn't take anything away from what they do offer, IMO.

Early Girl Benny w/ country ham is my jam. Especially during tomato season.

Back