• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Asheville Restaurants

Rank the breweries in Asheville in terms of total quality (beers, atmosphere, location).

I just got back, so I'll rank the ones I went to:

Burial
Funkatorium
High Wire / One World (tie)
Wicked Weed
Asheville Brewing Company (I wouldn't bother going - I went because I needed to kill some time between leaving WW and High Wire opening. Would not go back)

Good recs ITT:

I really liked Curate; was able to walk in and get seated at the bar in about 30 minutes. Also, thought Limones was good too (great tequila lemonade!), and I thought biscuit head was worth the wait. Food at Wicked Weed was tasty, but the beers were pretty meh for me.

ETA: Chai Pani was solid too.

You chose well lcd, I'm surprised you didn't like the Wicked Weed beers. I'm assuming you were into their sours since you ranked their funkatorium highly?

My ranking for total quality breweries only (top 5 only) is probably:

The Wedge (at least during warmer months, it's pretty much entirely outdoor)
Burial (also drops in the winter)
Altamont
Funkatorium
Wicked Weed

I haven't been out to Sierra Nevada yet, but I've heard it's amazing from friends that have been. When the New Belgium brewery opens I'd imagine it'll jump into the rankings too (it's in a great location right on the river). Wicked Weed is cool to hang out at but the crowd there these days is usually unbearable.

If we get to include non-breweries/bars, then Pour takes the #1 spot in the winter, and probs 2 or 3 during warmer (outdoor times) months.

You chose well lcd, I'm surprised you didn't like the Wicked Weed beers. I'm assuming you were into their sours since you ranked their funkatorium highly?

The WW sours were awesome; I guess rating them low is a bit misleading since they, as you pointed out, run the Funkatorium. At the WW brew-pub I tried the Pernicious IPA and Xibalba which were both good, but neither of which were better than offerings from the other places.

Biscuit Head has officially surpassed Early Girl as my Asheville breakfast jam.

images

Ended up eating b-fast there yesterday "by accident" on our way out of town. Heard the lady at the hotel desk recommend Sunny Side (or something like that) to someone else as we were checking out, so we stopped off in West Asheville. However, there appeared to be a thousand people waiting outside for that place, so we pulled into a parking lot and consulted Yelp. Biscuit Head was near the top and had good reviews, so we ventured on over. Definitely give it a thumbs up.

Edit - Yeah, I guess the first place was actually Sunny Point.

Last edited:
Ended up eating b-fast there yesterday "by accident" on our way out of town. Heard the lady at the hotel desk recommend Sunny Side (or something like that) to someone else as we were checking out, so we stopped off in West Asheville. However, there appeared to be a thousand people waiting outside for that place, so we pulled into a parking lot and consulted Yelp. Biscuit Head was near the top and had good reviews, so we ventured on over. Definitely give it a thumbs up.

Sunny Point is alright, defs takes way too long to get a table most days. Biscuit Head is indeed the better choice imo.

A dude just opened up a breakfast taco joint (he moved here from Austin) in West Asheville that's pretty good (Tacobilly). Still has some service kinks to work out but pretty pumped about that. Also it's down the street from Hole, which makes the best homemade donuts (fresh to order) you'll ever taste.

Perhaps I should been more clear; Pernicious is (obviously) a very well made beer - I just thought other stuff was more interesting. I brought a 4 pack of it home, so I will definitely be revisiting it in the very near future. I think WW uses Mosaic hops in this beer which can, sometimes, be resinous for me which is not a flavor profile that I like in my beers.

Limones or Table?

Taking my mom out on Sunday, trying to make reservations now.

It was actually the Tequila Lemonade, specifically, that I had there that was so good.

Heading up next weekend for my birthday. Got Friday reservations for Nightbell. Hope it's good!

Heading up next weekend for my birthday. Got Friday reservations for Nightbell. Hope it's good!

Nice, they do cocktails right there fosho. I've heard the burger is amazing too. Can't go wrong with a Kate Button place.

Nice, they do cocktails right there fosho. I've heard the burger is amazing too. Can't go wrong with a Kate Button place.

Couldn't get reservations until 7:45, so maybe go early and have a drink.

Planning to hit up Wicked Weed (my favorite), Burial and Sierra Nevada.

We really liked it!

It was our last stop on the Eating Asheville food tour we did, and they happened to have a couple of cancellations for that evening and we snuck into one. I think the menu changes a lot so I can't necessarily recommend anything, but we liked everything we had. I would stick around for a dessert as well cause they are pretty interesting.

Couldn't get reservations until 7:45, so maybe go early and have a drink.

Planning to hit up Wicked Weed (my favorite), Burial and Sierra Nevada.

Hopefully Wicked Weed isn't too crowded since it's sort of off season.. if you like sours I'd hit up their Funkatorium instead while you're over at Burial (my favorite downtown brewery atm). Another good place for pre-dinner drinks is Imperial Life, above Table. I think it's only a couple blocks away from Nightbell.

I finally checked out Sierra Nevada a couple weeks ago, man that is a cool ass brewery/building they've got over there.

Back