• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Asheville Restaurants

Definitely Tupelo Honey; they have two locations now... I've been to both, gotten the same thing at both, and have been equally pleased.

Surprised nobody's mentioned Early Girl for breakfast. It's up around the corner from the downtown Tupelo, and reaaaaaallly hard to beat (though Tupelo breakfast is incredible).

Papa's and Beer does good mexican; there are two locations of that as well. One on Tunnel Road and one over near Long Shoal (it's not actually on Long Shoal, just over in that area somewhere. I always forget the name of that road).

YES YES YES - do this. Early Girl is awesome, I can believe I forgot this.

WakeGal-

What is the regular price? I went to the website and it shows adult passes at $129 per person. Is that the sale price or is it $79? Do you have a link for the $50 off?

Thanks!

I am a season ticket holder so they sent me an email about the deal. Here is the link: http://www.biltmore.com/landing/11_sept_tmp_offer79.asp?eid=Brand&mid=092111. The regular price is $129 and the sale price is $79. It ends at the end of the month.

In addition to the reservations perks, there are many other perks. As a season ticket holder, you also get discounts on friends' tickets. I think that is $20 per person.

I also think Salsa's is overrated, especially for date.

I think Zambras or Jerusalem Garden would be good choices (although Jerusalem garden can be noisy at times with the music - so that might factor into your thinking as far as conversation goes).

I'd probably go to Zambras then Jack of the Wood for a nice first date evening

How long has the girl been in Asheville?

I will say Salsas leaves something to be desired with atmosphere. The food is great tho.

I've lived in Asheville my whole life except for college....so what are you looking to spend, what kind of atmosphere are you looking for. Casual and a few drinks or PIITB on the first date. Answer these questions and I won't steer you wrong

Salsa's is awesome, especially if you can sit outside in the ally. Breakfast = sunny point. Tupelo Honey is a tourist trap and it takes forever to get in. Food is pretty good but not worth the wait. Papa's and beer is the bomb! Lucky otter is very good but not sure how much of a date place it is unless kicking back with beer and tacos is the thing your girl likes (she would be awesome if so). Same goes for papa's and beer. I say get to salsa's early and get a good table then walk down the street a block to the french broad chocolate lounge for dessert...hater's gonna hate!

I was up there for the NYE Avett's show and had dinner at Zambra. It was pretty solid tapas place. However do not get the hotty toddy just to be "adventurous".

I was drunk of my ass when I left that place.

yeah, i was gonna ask what ur looking to spend, etc. I went to corner kitchen for the first time pretty recently and it was SILLY!

yeah, i was gonna ask what ur looking to spend, etc. I went to corner kitchen for the first time pretty recently and it was SILLY!

My wife really likes that place. You could swing by French Broad Brewery for a little music too.

Make it a lunch date instead and take her to 12 Bones.

If she complains, she's not the one for you...

If I were to take a girl out on a first date and didn't want to go to a "nice restaurant" (as that can be a little much on the first date) and was going to for the classy casual feel, then I'd go to Storm. It's fairly new, (4 or 5 months) it's on the corner of Lexington and Hilliard downtown (behind and caddy corner to the Orange Peel). It's the shit, the food is awesome, oddly enough, their burgers are great as it is owned by the guy that used to own Poe's in Charleston and they have the exact same burgers as Poe's, which anyone who's been to Poe's will tell you are awesome.
It's also a Rhum bar, so they have all kinds of mixed drinks that are pretty good...mojitos and shit that girls really fawn over.
Has great outdoor seating and the inside is "intimate" without being too crowded.
I'd stay away from Salsa's, it's good, but not great for new dates because it's too crowded and you can sometime literally be right on top of the next table, which is awkward for a first date. It's also oddly bright in the restaurant.
If you're trying to impress I'd go to Red Stag or Rezazz, both are in biltmore village and both are wonderful. Other suggestions are some things other's have suggested...Zambra's for tapas (there's a new tapas bar on Biltmore ave near pack square but I haven't been yet), Sushi is never a bad idea, Mela (indian food) on lexington is good and there are a few other restauarants right next to Mela that could be good as well.

Last edited:
I would never do Sushi more than 3 hours from the coast...but thats just me. I know it does not matter but just the thought of it is weird.

hey does mela have a lunch buffet? and if so how is it?

hey does mela have a lunch buffet? and if so how is it?

I've seen buffet equipment in there, but I've never seen it set up. Unfortunately I'm never in asheville during the day on weekdays because I work in Waynesville, but I like Mela so I imagine it's pretty good

Table. Went there a couple of weekends ago when I was there for a wedding and it was honestly one of the best meals I have ever had. Great appetizers, we had sweetbreads, grilled octopus in a curry sauce, charcuterie, and a cheese plate. Mains were good as well; the duck and shark entrees were especially tasty. Cocktails are also tasty.

We ended up at less than $60 per person which for what we had I thought was a good deal.

I also think Salsa's is overrated, especially for date.

I think Zambras or Jerusalem Garden would be good choices (although Jerusalem garden can be noisy at times with the music - so that might factor into your thinking as far as conversation goes).

I'd probably go to Zambras then Jack of the Wood for a nice first date evening

How long has the girl been in Asheville?

she has been here about a month

Back