• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Asheville Restaurants

Barca and I just wrote a bunch of recs in a recent chat thread! I'll try to look it up later if I remember. When you gonna be here?
Would love to see the list. And lots of great responses from everyone else we're considering.

We'll be in Asheville June 21st - 24th.

Burial is my fave Asheville beer, Wedge on the river is my favorite environs for the breweries I've been to

Whale/Haywood Commons in West Asheville has a good beer and outdoor space if you're over that part of town

you gotta hit Sierra Nevada when out here. it's unlike any other brewery you'll ever visit, unless, of course, you go to the one out in Chico. they are reopening in May. fantastic food, beer, and setting.

New Belgium is reopening soon, too. back in the fall you made reservations for their taproom and it's worth a trip. under normal circumstances they have food trucks out and I think they had some last fall as well.

you gotta hit Sierra Nevada when out here. it's unlike any other brewery you'll ever visit, unless, of course, you go to the one out in Chico. they are reopening in May. fantastic food, beer, and setting.

New Belgium is reopening soon, too. back in the fall you made reservations for their taproom and it's worth a trip. under normal circumstances they have food trucks out and I think they had some last fall as well.

The one in Chico is a dump compared to this one.

Normally I try to avoid the way too mainstream breweries.

These sound different?

I don't usually rec Sierra unless you're here like 3+ days just because its so far out of the way tbh.. but I have also been a bunch and kinda just am not as impressed by it as I used to be. It's a pretty cool compound/setup when its all said and done.

New Belgium is great though, right on the river, outdoor spaces galore, lots of stuff on draft you won't usually get from them in cans/from their barrel program, and you can combo it with other stuff on the river like The Wedge or hit it up after doing some West Asheville spots.

Any of y’all done anything with this company?

No Taste Like Home

We did a foraging tour with this group today. It was a blast.

Took some of the bounty to The Market Place restaurant and the chefs used it to prepare a delicious and highly unusual appetizer.

The rest of the meal was very good as well.

I ate at Ukiah Japanese Smokehouse with a group on Saturday night. Location is South Slope in the former Bar Taco location. We got the Chef's tasting menu and it was outstanding. We had 8-10 dishes. Highlights were:

Crispy Rock Shrimp with chili butter and gorgonzola -- could have eaten this all night
Sliced Himachi - white ponzu, serrano peppers + herbs
Crispy Baby Back Ribs - yakiniku
Wagyu Skewers - shiso chimichurri, yuzu kosho, wasabi + sea salt
Japanese Sweet Potato - miso butter, brown sugar, parmesan + umami salt

The beech mushroom tempura was a highlight when we went, but everything was good

Curate, Benne on Eagle, Chai Pani, and Buxton Hall were all amazing.

Rhubarb and Curate are where it's at.

Clawson shouted out Rhubarb in his interview on the Deac2Deac podcast. Kevin asked him to name his favorite restaurant outside of Winston.

Planning to check out Forestry Camp this weekend.

Anyone been there?

Think we're doing a tour then probably stick around for dinner and drinks.

Planning to check out Forestry Camp this weekend.

Anyone been there?

Think we're doing a tour then probably stick around for dinner and drinks.

yep it's great. another one to check out right around the corner is Hillman, one of our favorites.

Seems like a good place to tack this on.
Moving to Arden next month. Will be building a home in Mills River. Anyone local or otherwise have recommendations (food or otherwise) for a family with two elementary school kids- hit me up by PM. Also, if there's a place Deacons get together to watch games let me know!

Thanks in advance

Back