• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Asheville Restaurants

HIJACK:

I'm going to swing through Asheville coming back from Homecoming Weekend and I'm meeting my sister and my new nephew for lunch. Any recommendations for a decent, easy to get to, place for lunch so we don't end up at freakin' Jersey Mike's or some other fast food-type place?

What part of Asheville? There are plenty of places downtown but I don't know if that would constitute easy to get to.

We'll be going from W-S to Nashville on 40, and I'm from Hendersonville so I'm not completely Asheville-clueless, but I'm just looking for a decent lunch place that I don't have to go 30 minutes out of my way to get to.

Is Mayfels still open? That place can really serve up the southern food and they have a cool bar outside downstairs kind of like a grotto.

Limones for Mexican rocks pretty good.

According to Bacon "Rankins Vault" is pretty cool for drinks but I have never been there.

Most of the breweries are fun, but LAB & Jack of the Wood stand out.

Yes. I ended up at Mayfels when I was up there for a wedding last month. The restaurant was closed, but my friend who I was meeting knew the people and met me out front and walked me through the dark restaurant to that back patio bar.

I was all drunk and high so when I stepped out there I thought I had found some sort of secret after hours spot with all these trees and christmas lights and retro patio furniture.

My buddy's friend who worked there is a massage therapist/dancer/aura reader/yoga instructor and just started dancing for both of us for a couple of hours. She was in her mid 40s but still looked pretty good and was shaking it.

She read my aura at one point and I think she Vulcan mind melded me because I had a crazy violent headache hangover the next morning, nothing like I had ever experienced before. (I wish I could remember what she said).

The house drink back there is this sweet mojito-like thing that fucks you up, too. That could have contributed.

I also ended up at BoBo Gallery for some Deep House Trance. Spacey.

We'll be going from W-S to Nashville on 40, and I'm from Hendersonville so I'm not completely Asheville-clueless, but I'm just looking for a decent lunch place that I don't have to go 30 minutes out of my way to get to.

You might want to look into something in Black Mountain...right off 40 and I hear they have some cool places and it should be an easy stop over.

You might want to look into something in Black Mountain...right off 40 and I hear they have some cool places and it should be an easy stop over.

decent idea. forgot to add the crucial detail: my sis is coming from hendersonville. might change the black mtn rec.

Try My Father Pizza on Cherry or Ole Guacamole on State St. Both are right off 40 in Black Mountain and very good depending on what you're in the mood for.

I just got back from Asheville and ate a ton of amazing food while I was there. Thanks to everyone who recommended Zambra. It was sooo delicious and I want to visit again soon just to eat there. Also liked what I had at Tupelo Honey, but I would not like it as a first date location.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I ended up taking her to Storm, that place is great. I loved it and so did she, she got a bunch of mojito's too. She also loved the glass containers that they poured the water from, odd but funny. Thanks again!!

Last edited:
Yes. I ended up at Mayfels when I was up there for a wedding last month. The restaurant was closed, but my friend who I was meeting knew the people and met me out front and walked me through the dark restaurant to that back patio bar.

I was all drunk and high so when I stepped out there I thought I had found some sort of secret after hours spot with all these trees and christmas lights and retro patio furniture.

My buddy's friend who worked there is a massage therapist/dancer/aura reader/yoga instructor and just started dancing for both of us for a couple of hours. She was in her mid 40s but still looked pretty good and was shaking it.

She read my aura at one point and I think she Vulcan mind melded me because I had a crazy violent headache hangover the next morning, nothing like I had ever experienced before. (I wish I could remember what she said).

The house drink back there is this sweet mojito-like thing that fucks you up, too. That could have contributed.

I also ended up at BoBo Gallery for some Deep House Trance. Spacey.

This approaches boogity level amaazingness.

This approaches boogity level amaazingness.

It was one of those nights, man. I thought I had one of my worst hangovers the previous weekend lying on your couch, but the one after this chick got into my brain put it all in perspective.

Sadly, my bar excursion might have crushed any fleeting hope of making out with my Minnesota girl crush who was at the wedding, because my phone died and I couldn't get back up with her, which led to me running from the Asheville Restaurant (back on topic) to my hotel to charge my phone, finding out she was still at this bar, running back to the bar where I left her, just in time to run into them getting in their car and catching a ride back with them to my hotel. Sometimes...well, sometimes he eats you.

/Chat thread.

I'm headed up to Asheville this weekend. Has anything new (bar or restaurant) opened since this thread was last used back in September?

I think it was open in Sept., but we went to Table at Christmas time and thought it was awesome.

My favorite places are, in order, Asheville Bouchon, Salsa's, Tupelo Honey

Don't forget going to the French Broad Chocolate Lounge.

LAB is nice this time of year when they open up the garage fronts.

Back