• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Asheville Restaurants

LAB is nice this time of year when they open up the garage fronts.

The atmosphere is nice, but I didn't think the food was that good and the service STUNK.

well you should be a young woman. service improves.

eta: i like their beers, and if you're just getting bar food it's not bad. nice afternoon stop between lunch and dinner.

The atmosphere is nice, but I didn't think the food was that good and the service STUNK.

Service is awful, the beer is not that good, and the old menu was way better than the new menu. Atmosphere is nice tho.

I heard the junction is really good, although I've never been.

well you should be a young woman. service improves.

eta: i like their beers, and if you're just getting bar food it's not bad. nice afternoon stop between lunch and dinner.

Is that what you've heard from young women? ;)

I actually had a young waitress. You'd think she'd be interested in helping a handsome gentleman... or me.

Wife is an artist at Bele Chere again this year in July, one of our favorite art/music shows that we do: http://www.belecherefestival.com/. Three days, four stages, 40 bands, decent art, all free, can't beat it. Bands are typical up and coming, Grace Potter, Jason Isbell, The Whigs, Railroad Earth, bluegrass bands all played last year. I'm getting ready to research the bands for this year. Y'all come! (Note: hotels seriously bump their prices for that weekend).

I think it's just gotten a lot worse over the last year/18 months. The food used to be much better imo.

well that covers my time away from it... so ok. too bad LAB is a city in decline.

havent read the thread, but im assuming rj covered curate. that is my SPOT.

People love to hate on LAB
I don't think the food is great, but it's not that bad and it's not very expensive. The trick is to just get something that's good. People always try and get some new thing that looks really "Asheville" but you know is going to suck.....and it does.
They have solidly above average burgers and their fries are really good (truffle fries). They had this meatloaf dish that I'd get from time to time that was good although that might not be there anymore. Their flatbread pizza is pretty good.
Again, none of this stuff is knock your socks off, but LAB isn't a knock your socks off kind of place. The beer is getting markedly worse over time. The problem with that place is that there is just no way it makes money. It does a lot of business, but the capital they put into it and the building it's in must've cost a fortune. The word is the guys that own it are just rich dudes from California that want to own a gastropub so they don't really care but I'm sure they'd like to make a few sheckles. Probably have some incentive for the management to make money and they are having to sacrifice quality to do so (the beer is rarely fresh and often flat)
Anyway, I'd never suggest it as a must go place, but if you just want something quick, easy, comfortable and "decent" then LAB is great.

...oh and the service is attrocious, but Asheville service in general is attrocious, so by comparison it's not so bad.

Last edited:
How has nobody mentioned 'The Yacht Club'? I guess it is just a bit too exclusive for you lot -- members only.

Also, I loved the setup at the Craggie Brewery.

I bet the truffle fries are good. Ours were cold and the waitress didn't come back to replace them before we were finished. I wanted LAB to be good.

Well I did have lunch at LAB last Wednesday and the food and service were pretty good. It was about what you would expect from a brew pub. We sat outdoor and it was great. We must have gotten a keg of fresh beer as the Black LAB IPA was seriously good. I have no regrets but as I said, I don't expect much food wise from brew pubs.

Service is awful, the beer is not that good, and the old menu was way better than the new menu. Atmosphere is nice tho.

I would agree...this place always looks cool and is packed out especially in the summer but it always leaves something to be desired for some reason...bummer! Oh and last time I was there I had the meatloaf so it does still exist.

Last edited:
Back