• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Asheville Restaurants

jc13890

Reaction score
Going on a date this weekend and i need a place to go for dinner. I am new to asheville (moved here like 2 weeks ago) so i have no clue whats good/ cool things to do here. thanks GO DEACS!!!!!

I can't give you a recommendation on food; however, I did get an email this week that the yearly passes at Biltmore are on sale (I think $50 off). I would highly recommend getting one, especially since you live there. During the summer they have concerts. They also have some great events throughout the year. Only passholders can make reservations at the restaurants there. Plus if you plan on going 2 times in one year, it has already paid itself off.

The wife and I did a food tour of Asheville last weekend. I was born and raised in Asheville but I was SHOCKED at what I saw...turning into quite the foodie town.

The highlight for me was Restaurant Solace in The Haywood Park Hotel. We met executive chef/owner Bryan Kimmett. He is committed to "farm to table" cooking and his menu changes every day.

I have also heard good things about Table but I have never been...I think it is fairly expensive.

Zambra is a Med. / Spanish Tapas place. I have eaten there several times and have never been disappointed. Their food is excellent and try the Sangria...they put clove in it and it gives it an interesting flavor.

BTW...I hate that spell check does not recognize Asheville.

Salsa's. Fresh ingredients, always new menu, great mexican/carribean/american fusion. Pretty cheap. I love that place.

Barley's would be a good first (I assume) date place IMO if this chick is cool. Not overly fancy but good food, beer and atmosphere.

I'll definitely second Zambra's and Salsa's. Both, while quite different in terms of atmosphere, are excellent.

Tupelo Honey for breakfast
Lucky Otter for lunch
Salsa's for dinner

Lab on Lexington has good beer and higher-notch bar food. We enjoyed it.

Also went to Lab when I was home last weekend. The beer was TERRIFIC but I was unimpressed by the food. We only had a couple of appetizers but everyone else I have talked to likes it.

I enjoyed LAB when I was there as well. We had a big group and the reviews were mixed. My steak was very good but the soup my wife got was terrible. The owner came by and apologized (it was the first night the soup was on the menu) and comped the soup. We'll probably go there again because of that.

Zambras is really good.
Love Tupelo Honey

Jerusalem Garden Cafe on Patton Ave pretty much right across from Tupelo Honey is awesome if you like Mediterranean.

Lots of good suggestions, but you've got to go to Jerusalem Garden and sit on the floor in the room in the back and watch the belly dancer. Impress your date with a copple of decent tips. Go to Jack of the Wood afterward and drink from the cask.

Any other comments on Restaurant Solace? I think it is fairly new (they took over the space of The Flying Frog but not the same restaurant) but I was thoroughly impressed.

Definitely Tupelo Honey; they have two locations now... I've been to both, gotten the same thing at both, and have been equally pleased.

Surprised nobody's mentioned Early Girl for breakfast. It's up around the corner from the downtown Tupelo, and reaaaaaallly hard to beat (though Tupelo breakfast is incredible).

Papa's and Beer does good mexican; there are two locations of that as well. One on Tunnel Road and one over near Long Shoal (it's not actually on Long Shoal, just over in that area somewhere. I always forget the name of that road).

I can't give you a recommendation on food; however, I did get an email this week that the yearly passes at Biltmore are on sale (I think $50 off). I would highly recommend getting one, especially since you live there. During the summer they have concerts. They also have some great events throughout the year. Only passholders can make reservations at the restaurants there. Plus if you plan on going 2 times in one year, it has already paid itself off.

WakeGal-

What is the regular price? I went to the website and it shows adult passes at $129 per person. Is that the sale price or is it $79? Do you have a link for the $50 off?

Thanks!

Back