• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Carolina Challenge Thread

While I agree it'd be nice to be battling for more 4* and 5* players, Warren (#47) would be along the same lines as our top recruits in most years (examples listed). Obviously 2008 was our best class by the numbers.

2010 (Carson #41)
2009 (Ari #44)
2007 (JJ #44)
2006 (Skeen #54)
2004 (Swinton #48)

ETA: But yeah, our top target in each of those years (other than 2008) was a lot higher ranked that what we got.

I was just about to post how much better the recruiting discussion was on here compared to the Scant(ly traversed) boards, but then rj wants to get in a Bzzz pissing match on the last two pages. Can we leave those discussions on the Scant(ily intelligent) Boards?

I'm not the one who brought up Bzz.....All I did was show what Irish said was not accurate.

But keep blaming me for things other people say. It's easier than reading.

Maybe he was suggesting that the fans who have absolutely destroyed him for getting commits from CMM and Rountree because of their ranking at the time and suggesting we can't compete in the ACC with those type of recruits were being a bit premature.

I definitely agree with that, with the additional thought that the inverse scenario would also be true - it would be premature to automatically presume that we WILL compete with 4 and 5-star players.

As a BuzzWaiter, my stance is that it seems unlikely but not impossible that [Redacted] "found" starter-level, ACC-caliber talent that other ACC, SEC, and Big East coaches (as well as recruiting evaluators) simply had either overlooked or dismissed in their own evaluations. These positive reports are a great sign that [Redacted] is capable of accomplishing the unlikely and doing just that. Considering that I think [Redacted] is here for 3 years unless he leaves on his own accord--and because Wake winning is a lot better than Wake sucking--I'll take this pleasant surprise any day of the week.

I'm not the one who brought up Bzz.....All I did was show what Irish said was not accurate.

But keep blaming me for things other people say. It's easier than reading.

You're confusing arguments and statements. Again. I was pointing out the difference between winning recruiting battles and recruits improving their standing, in relation to potential reactions from the fan base as a collective.

Keys to Bzzz winning back the fans, IMO:

1) Whatever it is he's doing in media interviews, he needs to do the exact opposite.
2) Win. Some. Games.
3) Win a recruiting battle.

While Fischer, Rountree, and CMM moving up the recruiting rankings will help fan morale, I don't really see it improving confidence in [Redacted] - after all, Battle was the main guy for at least two of those guys, and it's too easy to make those "we beat out Liberty and James Madison" jokes.
Well....I have more confidence in our future after seeing these guys, and having Chase get named as a Parade first team AA. I don't really think it matters how we get good players. I don't have to see us win a head to head recruiting battle. In fact getting a recruit before a battle starts is sort of winning the battle isn't it?

As far as Battle recruiting these guys, that was the plan when Bzz came, was it not? I was more worried that Battle et al. were not going to be able to recruit like they had been, in other words that the plan had failed. It looks like we're doing pretty well and like Tree said, we are well on our way to getting back to being a top half ACC team. I sense better recruits than Odom so we'll have the talent.

Having confidence in Bzz's coaching ability is another story. That will require wins.

Back