• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Your 5 Favorite Horror Movies Ever

I haven't seen a seen a single horror film from this year (and maybe from last year either). Can someone give me some titles to seek out this Halloween season?

The-Babadook-Poster.jpg

Just caught The Guest on Netflix over the weekend. Same director that was responsible for You're Next. Don't know if you can classify it as straight horror, but as far as the thriller/slasher genre goes, it's pretty damn entertaining. Second The Babadook as being downright unsettling.

It Follows was really creepy.

The Descent is the scariest movie that I have seen.

Was coming here to mention this and It Follows, another great one that came out last year. Also really looking forward to Crimson Peak in a few weeks.

Top 5: (in no order)

Halloween
The Strangers (fans of this should see the more recent "You're Next")
Devil
Scream
Paranormal trilogy

Bonus: American horror Story (I know, it's TV)

I liked The Babadook until the last 20 minutes. Fizzled out pretty hard.

Halloween
Poltergeist
Alien
Jaws
The Omen

Honorable mention: It, Tremors, Killer Klowns from Outer Space

Can't believe I never posted here.

1. Aliens
2. It
3. Friday the 13th
4. Dawn of the Dead (either)
5. Drag Me to Hell
HM - Evil Dead

Strong list.

1- Halloween(Carpenter '78)
2- Shining
3- It
4- Jaws
5- Creature from the Black Lagoon(cheesy 50s Flick, still great)

Also, obviously not a movie, but the X-Files episode Home is up there with scariest, most disturbing things that I've ever seen.

Saw Babadook and A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night the same week. I thought the latter was better than the former, but it's not for everyone.

A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night was good and interesting but it wasn't scary or thrilling at all.

#1The Exorcist
#2 Halloween (original)
#3 The Omen (original)
#4 Rosemary's Baby
#5 Dawn of the dead (original)

Just outside my top five

Legend of Hell House
The Shining (original)
The Entity

Last edited:
Watched the Rob Zombie remake of Halloween again this week after seeing it a couple of years ago and not liking it- it was a lot better than I remembered. I know it got almost universally canned, but going into it with low expectations I found it to be an interesting reimagining of the story. Definitely scary, but whereas the original garners it's scares through suspense and character investment, the remake is effective with its use of shock, over the top violence, and a reliance on the audience knowing the entirety of the story from the opening credits. Once Halloween night starts, it's essentially a shot for shot remake. I was at least invested, probably because I wasn't viewing it through the lense of "why did you desecrate my favorite movie you bastard".

1. Soultaker

2. Manos: The Hands of Fate

3. Hobgoblins

4. The Incredible Melting Man

5. The Screaming Skull

The Ring
The Shining
Night of the Living Dead
Oculus (director Mike Flanagan needs to adapt It, like, now... but instead he's currently filming Ouija 2)
Scream

I'm not sure what to do with Alien or The Thing. They're both among my favorite movies of all time, but I consider them more suspenseful than outright scary.

Back