• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Your 5 Favorite Horror Movies Ever

I hate scary movies, but The Shining is one of my favorite movies in general.

question for those who like scary movies: what about them do you like? the adrenaline from watching? the plots themselves? how they're able to manipulate the audience? do you ever have lingering effects from watching, or do you finish the movie and immediately stop whatever mental games it played on you because the movie is over?
i dislike them so much, it sometimes boggles me to learn people truly enjoy them.

Slasher films like Halloween, Friday the 13th, Scream, etc don't really stick with me and I watch them for the adrenaline and plot twists and such.

Psychological Horror movies like The Strangers and Funny Games are the ones that stick with me. The Strangers did what it was supposed to do, but it legit terrified me and stuck with me for a good while, mainly because it plays with some of my own worst fears.

1. Halloween (1978)
2. The Shining (1980)
3. Friday the 13th (1980)
4. The Birds (1963)
5. Nightmare on Elm St (1984)

I've never really understood the massive popularity of slasher films, even the original ones. Occassionally there are ones like High Tension or The Collector that will entertain me, but the Halloween series bores me.

I've never really understood the massive popularity of slasher films, even the original ones. Occassionally there are ones like High Tension or The Collector that will entertain me, but the Halloween series bores me.

The original Halloween is the only one that is worth anything. The rest are just awful. And making Michael Meyers and Laurie Strode siblings weakens the character. The complete random evil of the original is too diluted by giving Michael Meyers a motive.

I watched a little of Halloween 3 last night on tv and I guess it doesn't feature Michael Meyers at all? Seemed like it was all about subliminal mind control, robots and some nefarious Halloween company. It sort of made me want to watch the whole thing.

I watched a little of Halloween 3 last night on tv and I guess it doesn't feature Michael Meyers at all? Seemed like it was all about subliminal mind control, robots and some nefarious Halloween company. It sort of made me want to watch the whole thing.

John Carpenter's original plan was to just have Michael Myers appear in parts I and II. Each subsequent Halloween movie was to have it's own unique plot and characters. After III was not received well by critics or fans Carpenter's original plan was scrapped and Michael Myers was brought back. Personally I and III are my favorites from the Halloween anthology.

John Carpenter's original plan was to just have Michael Myers appear in parts I and II. Each subsequent Halloween movie was to have it's own unique plot and characters. After III was not received well by critics or fans Carpenter's original plan was scrapped and Michael Myers was brought back. Personally I and III are my favorites from the Halloween anthology.

I don't think that Carpenter had a "plan" for the Halloween movies. He made the first one and it was an unexpectedly big hit so the studio pressured him to write a sequel. He definitely intended for Halloween 2 to be the end of Michael Meyers. But after people were so disappointed with him not being in Halloween 3, that the producers brought him back for Halloween 4 without any input from Carpenter.

titcr

I've been on a horror movie kick lately. I finally saw You're Next and Creep. If you haven't seen them yet, then you should watch them both now. Creep is legitimately terrifying.

Watched Creep due to this post. It was REALLY good. Thanks for the recommendation!

October is coming and this thread needs a bump. Give me some recs, people.

1. The Devil's Rejects
2. House of a 1000 corpses
3. Halloween
4. The Shinning
5. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)

Don't get the love for Scream here, besides providing solid hollowed costumes those movies really sucked.

Scream is one of my all time faves. You have a simple plot on the surface, with a couple of nice twists, and in the end the twists aren't even really twists. Plus a bunch of good pop culture references, "hip 90s dialogue", a star studded cast for 1995, directed by one of the GOAT for horror...Just so, so, good, IMO.

Kind of like Christmas Vacation, Home Alone, etc., Scream and Halloween are 2 movies I watch at least once every October.

Hot Take: Without the score, Halloween would not be a scary movie.

With the score, it's one of the greats. The fact that Carpenter did that too makes it all that more impressive.

I rec'd it on the other thread, but His House (2020) was really good if you want a fresh spin on the haunted house genre.

For art house fans, The Eyes of My Mother is weird and terrifying.

I'm not sure if they qualify as "horror," but I loved The Witch and really liked Annihilation.

The Shining is normally what I cite as my favorite horror film of all time, but Hereditary is close and doesn't get talked about enough.

Just watched The Strangers for the first time. It’s certainly very scary and suspenseful, though I can’t say it’s among my favorites. It’s effective without being overly brutal but I still didn’t love it. Maybe it’ll grow on me over time. I do think the use of music via the record player was pretty great, and there’s something natural/organic about the characters trying to scare the protagonists making for good scares. Gonna work my way through a bunch of these I haven’t seen.

I'm not sure if they qualify as "horror," but I loved The Witch and really liked Annihilation.

The Shining is normally what I cite as my favorite horror film of all time, but Hereditary is close and doesn't get talked about enough.

The Witch definitely is horror. Annihilation is more of a sci-fi flick. I think you'll find a ton of Hereditary fans on here. You enjoy Midsommar?

I'm not gonna lie - I don't really understand the Malignant hype. Everybody talks about how it improves and they're right, but it's really fucking bad up to that point and maybe plateaus at average in the end? Really lazy effort from Wan, I thought.

Watched Creep due to this post. It was REALLY good. Thanks for the recommendation!

Yep. I was gonna 2 part this after the kids went to bed but since it was a quick 75 mins I did it in one sitting. Damn. Awesome flick. Good call strick.

I’d like to watch some horror movies this year, and am trying to determine which ones. I just want classic horror versus the recent trend of jumpy motion and loud noises.

Back