• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Your 5 Favorite Horror Movies Ever

Some underrated horror movies I've seen in the last couple of years:

Gerald's Game (or anything by Flanagan - Dr. Sleep, Oculus, Hush - getting into Midnight Mass now and it's good stuff)
Blackcoats Daughter
Apostle
The Ritual
The Guest
House of the Devil

Horror comedies I liked: the Babysitter, we summon the darkness.

I said this in another thread, but I loved Malignant. I can understand not liking it, but I think lazy is the wrong word to describe it. I think it is a Wan passion project and him getting carte blanche and just going nuts.

Second all of these you mentioned, but I couldn't really get into Apostle for some reason. The Guest is my favorite out of all those listed.

The Guest is awesome.

Forgot a few:

Solid zombie movies - Cargo (with the Hobbit) and Alive (which is Korean, I think, and I liked it more than Train to Busan).

Bonkers vampire movie -- Blood Red Sky.

Not traditional horror, more creepy psychological thriller -- but the Killing of a Sacred Deer was great.

watched the guest and You're Next back to back. Wasn't aware they were both directed by the same guy, happy coincidence

I’ve posted my top favorites a few times on this thread and sadly they haven’t changed in a few years, though I have added some to the list - My horror movie list on LetterBoxd is up to 39. Here are a few lesser known horror films that I definitely recommend:

Pontypool:

Sleep Tight (Spanish with subtitles):

The Eyes of My Mother:

The Void:

The Taking of Deborah Logan:

I’ve posted my top favorites a few times on this thread and sadly they haven’t changed in a few years, though I have added some to the list - My horror movie list on LetterBoxd is up to 39. Here are a few lesser known horror films that I definitely recommend:

Pontypool:

Sleep Tight (Spanish with subtitles):

The Eyes of My Mother:

The Void:

The Taking of Deborah Logan:

Eyes of My Mother is incredible, but it's definitely not for everyone.

watched the guest and You're Next back to back. Wasn't aware they were both directed by the same guy, happy coincidence

You're Next is one of my favorite horror flicks of all time. Adam Wingard is so so so talented, but has had a few bombs recently (Blair Witch, Death Note) that I'd avoid. I loved Godzilla v Kong, though.

As far as unsettling/creepy movies:

1. Beyond the Black Rainbow (love the soundtrack)
2. The Strangers
3. The Descent
4. The Silence of the Lambs
5. Saw

HM: When A Stranger Calls, and that scene from Insidious with the black/red face demon (sticks in my brain)

This is so weird and not really a true answer, but the sequel to When A Stranger Calls, called When A Stranger Calls Back (wow...how ingenious). There are scenes where the bad guy/intruder paints his body to match the woman's apartment walls and then when the woman isn't looking, the camera stops on him and it shows him open to the whites of his eyes. That creeped the bejeesus out of me when I was a kid. I still get a little paranoid when I hear noises coming from the walls.

As far as straight horror:

The Exorcist
The Blair Witch Project
The Conjuring
The Fly
The Thing
The Shining
Ernest Scared Stupid

As far as unsettling/creepy movies:

1. Beyond the Black Rainbow (love the soundtrack)
2. The Strangers
3. The Descent
4. The Silence of the Lambs
5. Saw

HM: When A Stranger Calls, and that scene from Insidious with the black/red face demon (sticks in my brain)

This is so weird and not really a true answer, but the sequel to When A Stranger Calls, called When A Stranger Calls Back (wow...how ingenious). There are scenes where the bad guy/intruder paints his body to match the woman's apartment walls and then when the woman isn't looking, the camera stops on him and it shows him open to the whites of his eyes. That creeped the bejeesus out of me when I was a kid. I still get a little paranoid when I hear noises coming from the walls.

As far as straight horror:

The Exorcist
The Blair Witch Project
The Conjuring
The Fly
The Thing
The Shining
Ernest Scared Stupid

when i was like 10 i was watching when a stranger calls and my brother left and shut the door and i was scared shitless. wanted to go back and watch it so put it on last night and realized it was a remake from 2006. i turned it off since i wanted to watch the original but was wondering if anyone has seen both and can compare the two?

Some more recommendations from me are: Saint Maud, The Lodge, The Platform, Sea Fever, The House That
Jack Built, Terrified, Veronica

#s 1-5 for me right here

1. Moonstruck
2. Sex and the City
3. Twilight
4. Dirty Dancing
5. Mamma Mia

I never want to see those movies again. Nightmares for weeks.

Mainly nightmares about having to watch them again.

Man Dirty Dancing does not belong on that list at all.

Halloween
The Last House on the Left
The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Phantasm
Scream
The Serpent and the Rainbow
The Strangers
The Shining

Been really slowly working my way through this thread, watching my way through stuff I hadn't seen, and I just caught this one.

Bill Pullman is great. Some pretty fun visual gags too, and good storytelling. Wes Craven is awesome.

Back