• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Your 5 Favorite Horror Movies Ever

Deacfreak07

Ain't played nobody, PAWL!
Reaction score
The Omen
The Exorcist
Night of the Living Dead
Rosemary's Baby
The Strangers

Honorable Mention:
Nightmare on Elm Street (as a collective. Freddy is my favorite villian. If I had to choose one, it would be New Nightmare).
The Wicker Man
What Lies Beneath
Paranormal Activity
Evil Dead Trilogy (Ash is just too good a character.)

Discuss

Last edited:
Can't only do 5,

1. Session 9
2. REC
3. The Exorcist
4. The Ring
5. Martyrs
6. The Descent
7. 28 Days Later
8. Blair Witch Project
9. High Tension
10. The Beyond

The Exorcist
The Thing (1982 version)
Dawn Of The Dead (the original, though the remake was good)
Alien
Bram Stoker's Dracula

I kept out a lot of the comedies (like Return of the Living Dead, Evil Dead 2, Shaun Of The Dead, etc...) because they aren't really horror flicks. All of the above are legitimate horror flicks except for Dracula, which is really just more of a feast for the eyes that I can't resist.

Jaws! *hits head* Totally slipped my mind. Replace Dracula with Jaws in my list

Never seen it, but I've heard great things.

Those three - Rosemary's Baby (1968), The Exorcist (1973), The Omen (1976) - saved the credibility of the horror genre from the slasher movement (Slashers have their place when done correctly, but a large majority were/are crap). They are arguably three of the most influential horror movies of all time, and should be watched by anyone who appreciates horror film.

Can't only do 5,

1. Session 9
2. REC
3. The Exorcist
4. The Ring5. Martyrs
6. The Descent7. 28 Days Later
8. Blair Witch Project
9. High Tension
10. The Beyond

The Ring and Scream, in the context of when they were released were such refreshing films. Scream is really underrated, IMO.

I watched The Descent while I was working as an Outdoor Educator at a camp, and we had to lead kids on caving trips. I am 6'2" 235-250ish, and I am not crazy about small spaces. That move does a great job of exploring claustrophia as a cinematic tool.

1) Jeepers Creepers

2) Alien

3) Halloween

4) The Thing ( 1951 b&w original )

5) IT !

They all float down here!!
It%252BClown.jpg

it-clown1.jpg

I've only seen 5, I think, in my life... so here's the list in the order that I liked all the scary movies I've ever seen (I don't watch them unless I have to, except for the Shining because I love that movie).

1. The Shining
2. The Exorcist
3. Jaws
4. The Grudge (I still don't like attics with drop-down ladders, and I saw that movie 10 years ago)
5. ...I can't remember if I've seen a 5th that's worth putting up.

Those three - Rosemary's Baby (1968), The Exorcist (1973), The Omen (1976) - saved the credibility of the horror genre from the slasher movement (Slashers have their place when done correctly, but a large majority were/are crap). They are arguably three of the most influential horror movies of all time, and should be watched by anyone who appreciates horror film.

The slasher genre really didn't start up until the late 70s, early 80s though.

The slasher genre really didn't start up until the late 70s, early 80s though.

Not true. They saw most of their success during that time, but they started up in the early 1960s by guys like Herschell Gordon Lewis.

The Ring and Scream, in the context of when they were released were such refreshing films. Scream is really underrated, IMO.

I watched The Descent while I was working as an Outdoor Educator at a camp, and we had to lead kids on caving trips. I am 6'2" 235-250ish, and I am not crazy about small spaces. That move does a great job of exploring claustrophia as a cinematic tool.[/QUOTE]

This is the most underrated horror movie I can think of. Mostly for the same reasons you mentioned. I'm slightly claustrophic, just in the sense that I'm kind of tense and uncomfortable in close quarters and the camera angles and the claustrophic feel of the movie were the most frightening parts to me.

28 Days Later

...and...

...um...

I don't really like horror movies.

1. The Shining
2. The Strangers
3. Disturbia
4. The Omen
5. The Exorcist

HM: Timber Falls

Back