• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GT is going to make a crappy coaching hire

I knew this would bring out the poster formerly known as DemonDKE

I knew this would bring out the poster formerly known as DemonDKE

Ha, no not me. Was going to put a :demonDKEbatsignal in one of my posts, but didn't. I was Rodneys360s over there, didn't post a ton. DecaturDeac was my handle on the first boards way back when, so returning to my roots.

If Tech can't do jack on a limited budget, I fear for our next coaching search almost as much as I fear our current coach.

That's why advocating for firing Bz this year or even next year is ludicrious. We can't pay the buyouts of Bz and Dino and still afford a coach good enough to make the kind of the difference we want on the basketball court.

That's why advocating for firing Bz this year or even next year is ludicrious. We can't pay the buyouts of Bz and Dino and still afford a coach good enough to make the kind of the difference we want on the basketball court.

So, what you are basically saying, is that we should be so mean to Buzz that he resigns and Wake doesn't have to pay his buyout?

I read ya. Loud and clear.

Paul Hewitt taking a raise and going to St. John's last year would have been a gigantic stroke of good luck for GT, but he's unfortunately an extremely good human being and he didn't want to leave his huge freshman class and wanted his children to finish growing up with their friends in Atlanta. Ugh.

If he resigns then great. Don't see that happening and unlike Hewitt I don't see many job offers coming his way to give him the opportunity to jump ship.

Not to turn this into a flame war ... but someone from LOWF is commenting on inferiority complexes?

Make it to a Final Four or win a football National Championship and then we'll talk. Ok?

You didn't, Colorado did. I too hate all things GT.

Paul Hewitt taking a raise and going to St. John's last year would have been a gigantic stroke of good luck for GT, but he's unfortunately an extremely good human being and he didn't want to leave his huge freshman class and wanted his children to finish growing up with their friends in Atlanta. Ugh.

Call me a cynic, but leaving $8-9m on the table might have played a role.

Call me a cynic, but leaving $8-9m on the table might have played a role.

He's would "only" have left $6.5m on the table (5 years, 1.3m a year) and St. John's was offering him quite a substantial raise that would have exceeded that amount (5 year deal, $1.75m a year or so).

In other words, he actually left money on the table by staying at GT :mad:

He's would "only" have left $6.5m on the table (5 years, 1.3m a year) and St. John's was offering him quite a substantial raise that would have exceeded that amount (5 year deal, $1.75m a year or so).

In other words, he actually left money on the table by staying at GT :mad:

I thought his salary was more than that, but, correct me if I am wrong, GT has to pay the buyout regardless of income he receives after the termination (ie: there's no offset).

Damning quote:
“I like coach (Brian) Gregory as a person. I respect him. But I just don’t feel like I got any better this year,” Staten said.

http://m.daytondailynews.com/dayton/db_40066/contentdetail.htm;jsessionid=891462144718538FFBD8BA160D02CE55?contentguid=4C21iXM5&detailindex=1&pn=0&ps=4&full=true

Well, in the interest of fairness - Dayton fans are pretty much all glad that Staten is transferring. He apparently has a ridiculous helicopter father, caused huge problems at Oak Hill while there and then staid in Dayton where his father pretty much interfered in everything. So take any comments from him with a huge grain of salt.

Far more damning is Dayton's conference record under Gregory :(

I thought his salary was more than that, but, correct me if I am wrong, GT has to pay the buyout regardless of income he receives after the termination (ie: there's no offset).

That is correct. Same ridiculous language that was in Gailey's contract (i.e - we're paying him $1m a year to coach the Bills right now). Dave Braine was a beyond incompetent AD.

I would think that he would only bring on one assistant (Schmidt?) with him as he will really need to hire a couple guys with Atlanta and Southeastern ties.

Back