• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Brian Gregory to Georgia Tech?

Hope it works out for them, but I don't have a lot of faith that I will.

Never quite understood why he's always mentioned for jobs as he hasn't accomplished much meaningful at Dayton.

Why anyone thinks a guy who can't win in the A-10 can win in the ACC is beyond me.

The board was in love with him last year. He is about on Groce's level -> very average.

All I can figure is it's because he was an Izzo assistant.

And the sad thing is that he has a much better resume than the coach we hired last year.

I thought we loved this guy last year? Of course, I have trouble thinking of a worse hire than the one we made.

And the sad thing is that he has a much better resume than the coach we hired last year.

No he doesn't....he hasn't built a team from the pits of a BCS conference to being compeititive.

I wasn't excited about hiring [Redacted], but he's much better than Gregory.

Coming 7th or worse five out of the past six years in a second rate conference is worse then what [Redacted] did at CU and it's not even close.

Worse than a pile of dog shit?

Just because another coach sucks, doesn't mean Buzz is any better.

[Redacted] built CO from nothing to being competitive. No matter how much you hate him. You can't be honest and not say he left CO in a good position.

You can't rationally compare having a losing record five out of his last six years in the A-10 to coaching in the B12.

No doubt about it, the great counterfactual that we'll never be able to verify is how [Redacted]'s Colorado teams would have been this year and the next, provided he stayed.

I personally believe they'd have done well (read: competitive in the Big XII), but I have nothing to fall back on other than my perception of how they played basketball when I watched them over the past 2 years.

Footnote: I generally think it takes new coaches 3 years to fully implement their system. Takes time to recruit their own players, coach those players, whatever. But [Redacted] has left every college program he's coached before that dispositive 4th year. It's really a tragedy for us pundits. I tend to think that any analysis of his previous record is tenuous at best.

And no matter what you think about 3rd and 4th year or whatever, we should all agree that 8-24 is a horrible start and a huge hole to dig out of and should not be brushed aside when evaluating a coach who set out to win each and every one of those games.

Yep. 8-24 is abysmal. But Bz has had several seasons that didn't involve an 8-24 record, so I'm hoping for a regression to the mean.

Gregory has won the NIT. He made the finals of the A-10 tournament this year. He has won an NCAA game.

His resume is more impressive than [Redacted]'s.

And no matter what you think about 3rd and 4th year or whatever, we should all agree that 8-24 is a horrible start and a huge hole to dig out of and should not be brushed aside when evaluating a coach who set out to win each and every one of those games.

A-freaking-men.

My thoughts are that it's not a great hire but not terrible either. I do think it's a better hire then Bz. [Redacted] turning Colorado into an NIT team doesn't impress me the way it does some on here. Hewitt was always able to recruit but lost players early to the draft. I don't know enough about Gregory to decide if he's a good recruiter or in-game coach. I will say this, I hope he does well at Ga Tech. I think the conference is better when more teams then just UNC or Duke are competitive. I think the ACC is at it's best when UNC, Duke, Wake, State, Ga Tech, and Maryland are all relevant and playing well.

Back