• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gaudio to Kent State?

Unless Wellman wants to put Wake Forest at the risk of a law suit, then he will say that Dino worked here and that is it.

remind me but did we buy dino out? if so do we have to pay him if he gets another job?

Why in the world would Wellman trash Dino?

Firing him last year instead of this year was the best favor he possibly could have done for him. Dino got to spend a year working at ESPN while reporters all over the country slammed the [Redacted] hire and in turn questioned Dino's firing.

It was pretty much the ideal scenario, unless you think he would have won a significant amount of games with this year's team - ie. you are delusional.

RJ, Dino probably won't refer anyone to Wellman, but any AD willing to consider hiring him is going to call Wellman anyway, and Dino knows that. That's just part of vetting the investment.

As said above, Wellman won't say anything bad about Dino, for a number of reasons, some of which were touched upon above. The primary reason, however, is that Wellman (like Dino) is party to the same understanding. Plus, I don't think it is Wellman's style. I've only met the man once, but he doesn't strike me as someone who feels the need to affirm himself or to attempt to justify his judgment.

That's going to be the problem. Any prospective employer will make those calls: Wellman, well, who's to say, but yes, probably not the best reference.

Anyone at Army who was around when he was? Well, he sucked there and bitched about all of those other priorities the cadets had other than basketball. He did almost get into a fist fight with K, which would be a plus almost everywhere else, but probably not at Army.

Loyola? Sucked there, too.

Sadly, of his former immediate bosses, Skip would be the only one on whom you could count to go to bat for the guy, I think.

I know that K had a problem with Dino when he coached Army. It seemed like it happened before Dino brought an Army team decimated by injury to Cameron, and was down 81-18 before K called off the dogs. Still, I was never sure if the animosity between K and Dino was actually from before that game or as a result of it. Anyone know for sure?

I hope his 68-124 record in the Patriot and MAAC conference remain pretty quiet.

It will. You're only as good as your last job, and in this case it was an ACC gig. You think anyone cares about what Dino did prior to the ACC? Doubtful.

People on message boards like to bring up Bzz's previous jobs. I don't think I heard a TV announcer bring up anything but Colorado and maybe Denver in the NBA.

I think announcers only bring up something like past jobs to breed familiarity. If a guy has Colorado and the Nugs on his resume, people are going to focus on that over Air Force or a bunch of scouting/assistant jobs.

Wouldn't Wellman want Dino to find another job quickly since presumably a new salary for Dino would mitigate against the buyout and thus decrease what the AD is on the hook for?

Agreed. This could free up the money we need for the Buzz buyout!

We have no idea what the terms of Dino's contract were. I suspect the buyout was minimal and whatever money was going to be given Dino Has already been handed over.

I don't think Bz's previous jobs would come up that much if he didn't continually bring them up and throw them in people's faces...

To have a very mediocre at best resume he sure is proud of it. You know what they say, pride comes before the fall....

Just read that Pat Kelsey is a potential candidate for the Kent State job.

I started to say that I thought Dino would be able to get a better job than Kent State (and he probably could), but in retrospect Kent State could be a good gig. It is a pretty good-sized school, I think. Dino could do extremely well there for them, and then see if they want to pay enough to keep him and upgrade their program. Dino has a toughness that they'd probably like.

I started to say that I thought Dino would be able to get a better job than Kent State (and he probably could), but in retrospect Kent State could be a good gig. It is a pretty good-sized school, I think. Dino could do extremely well there for them, and then see if they want to pay enough to keep him and upgrade their program. Dino has a toughness that they'd probably like.

Agreed. KSU's the second largest institution in Ohio. Given its proximity to the Akron-Canton area and Cleveland, it's probably one of the easier places to recruit in the MAC. And despite it primarily being a commuter school, the fans turn out for basketball.

Their problem is that they don't pay anything. Ford went from $300k to $700k to coach at Bradley. While I think Dino could do well for them, I'm not sure how much he could upgrade them.

Back