• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rating ACC Coaching Jobs

To me, Wake really, REALLY failed to capitalize at a time when they were primed to move up to that number 3 spot behind UNC and Duke. Around the Chris Paul time, Wake was becoming pretty cool. The kids were definitely starting to jump on the bandwagon. Even little things like the amount of Wake gear worn around AAU events and just whenever you'd go ball at the gym. They had NBA players, big recruits on the horizon, cool colors, everything. Then a big lapse after Paul left. Then the coach dies when those big recruits did come in, and the guy who coaches after Skip is nothing better than average. Then of course Bzz. Now Wake is back to being a complete afterthought and isn't a cool team to follow at all.

I'm a 21 year old, and I know the history of state. It is a pretty storied program. It's hard for me to be objective about where Wake Forest ranks in the minds of recruits because I have lived in Winston my whole life, as well as been a Wake fan.

I think that Eagles is pretty close to what I believe. I also think that people are putting Wake a little too high. We have been to 1 Final Four in our history, haven't won a conference tournament championship in 15 years (hell we haven't been to the finals since then), and underachieved for a long time. Add those things to it being a small school with nowhere to hide academically, and the proximity to big time schools, and that really hurts us.

I'd say it's more of horribly tragic luck rather than a failure to capitalize. Skip pretty much had Wake on the precipice of being the ACC's third team. Then he dies, Dino just isn't any good (but had to be retained as the HC, because AT&T leaves without him), and Wellman's brutal hire really has you guys in the doldrums.

To me, Wake really, REALLY failed to capitalize at a time when they were primed to move up to that number 3 spot behind UNC and Duke. Around the Chris Paul time, Wake was becoming pretty cool. The kids were definitely starting to jump on the bandwagon. Even little things like the amount of Wake gear worn around AAU events and just whenever you'd go ball at the gym. They had NBA players, big recruits on the horizon, cool colors, everything. Then a big lapse after Paul left. Then the coach dies when those big recruits did come in, and the guy who coaches after Skip is nothing better than average. Then of course Bzz. Now Wake is back to being a complete afterthought and isn't a cool team to follow at all.

Unfortunately this is correct. Even any momentum from being decent the last two seasons has been killed by Bz. I think the worst part about the hire is the hole we are going to have to get out of once he's finally gone. We were so close to being a legit #3. Damn Daquean Cook.

Very true and very sad. The paul to teague years Wake was a brand that was cool as hell..packed Joel, sellouts every game, ESPN, Top 5 teams, etc.. Now we are at a cross roads and I am thinking this new "culture" will not make us "cool" again, which many of you will say is stupid, but coolness is important as hell to young highly rated HS athletes.. Maybe it'll work, maybe it woln't... IDK

Are you guys forgetting the sharmaine dukes years on purpose???? When skip died, wake sucked at hoops.

As an MD resident, (slash semi-fan when they aren't playing Wake obviously), I wouldn't be too sad to see Gary go. Someone legit can step right in and recruit the shit out of DC/Baltimore. They could easily be a top 15 program every year with that talent pool and fanbase.

Also, State should be 4 since they have a bigger fanbase and less restrictions, but pick from the same talent pool. GT/Wake is an interesting 5/6 with both having the ability to get really good as opposed to some other schools that really don't have the same opportunity due to being a football school or having awful fans or whatever.

I think some of you guys underestimate what random people on the street think about Wake. With guys like TD and CP being well-known, people on the street think Wake has been to the Final Four recently. Some people even think we won a championship.

I think some of you guys underestimate what random people on the street think about Wake. With guys like TD and CP being well-known, people on the street think Wake has been to the Final Four recently. Some people even think we won a championship.

God, Americans are ignorant.

Wake is the opposite of cool now. Bzzz's recruits may be nice, smart guys but they aren't edgy and lack that swagger we had as recently as JJ and JT. Unfortunately, our time passed to take the next step. It's been a series of body blows to the program: nut punch, WVU, CP leaving, no OCC, Skip's passing, Dino's flameouts culminating in Bzz's hiring.

Wellman appears comfortable accepting consistency and mediocrity over the highs and lows the program experienced.

So you admit that you randomly bringing out results since 1990 was worthless?

In regards to what is the better coaching job now. Or the more attractive

No I stand on that. It's part of what makes a job attractive.

Wake does have a very high ceiling with the right coach. Tobacco Road, NBA ties, great academics, beautiful campus, flagship program.

Obviously we're all biased here but Wake is an appealing job. You win here and you're a legend. However, I think it's going to take a minimum of 6 years to make Wake relevant on the national scene. If the next hire isn't a home run, we're looking at a decade of this bullshit. Bzz isn't getting fired in the next two years. Then we'll face another rebuilding period. Another Bzzesque hire and all of a sudden we have a decade of nothing.

Are you guys forgetting the sharmaine dukes years on purpose???? When skip died, wake sucked at hoops.

Yep
2005–2006 Wake Forest 17–17 3–13 12th NIT 1st Round
2006–2007 Wake Forest 15–16 5–11 T–10th

2007-2008 Wake Forest 17-13 7-9 T-7th

We reloaded for one year - ooooooooo, ahhhhhhhhh

Yep
2005–2006 Wake Forest 17–17 3–13 12th NIT 1st Round
2006–2007 Wake Forest 15–16 5–11 T–10th

2007-2008 Wake Forest 17-13 7-9 T-7th

We reloaded for one year - ooooooooo, ahhhhhhhhh

No way to prove this either way, but I'll always believe we would have been back in the tourney in 2008 if Skip had not passed away....

Last edited:
Top Recruits by College

The following tables show the number of Top 100, Top 50, and Top 10 recruits for each college since 1998.
Top 100
Team Total Percent
North Carolina 37 3.09%
Florida 36 3.01%
Duke 34 2.84%
Kentucky 32 2.68%
Kansas 32 2.68%
UCLA 32 2.68%
Connecticut 32 2.68%
Arizona 30 2.51%
Michigan State 28 2.34%
Wake Forest 25 2.09%
Memphis 25 2.09%

Top Recruits by College

The following tables show the number of Top 100, Top 50, and Top 10 recruits for each college since 1998.
Top 100
Team Total Percent
North Carolina 37 3.09%
Florida 36 3.01%
Duke 34 2.84%
Kentucky 32 2.68%
Kansas 32 2.68%
UCLA 32 2.68%
Connecticut 32 2.68%
Arizona 30 2.51%
Michigan State 28 2.34%
Wake Forest 25 2.09%
Memphis 25 2.09%

Damn, we are the only team on this list not to have made it to a Final Four since 1998 now that Kentucky made it this year. 7 out of the 11 (all but us, Memphis, Arizona, and Kentucky) have made multiple Final Fours since 1998. And look at the state of all of these programs right now compared to Wake. That is such a depressing list...

More evidence that Wake Forest does not inherently have difficulty recruiting talent particularly when you consider that we haven't had great success to draw in top recruits.

Back