• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rating ACC Coaching Jobs

There seems to be a lot of LOWF thinking on this thread. It's obvious Duke, UNC and Maryland are better jobs than Wake.

Wake may need some better facilities, but coaches as different as Dave Odom and Skip Prosser have been successful.

To many kids, who a school has in the NBA is much more important than winning in the 70s or 80s. History is boring. Knowing history is rare. They know who Chris Paul is. They know who Tim Duncan is.

There are no stars from GT, Clemson, NC State or UVA. If the players want to go to the league, they are think about where their favorties went to college more than who in the 80s.

Tech has had some really nice players in the NBA. The only one I'd really call a star though is Bosh, and I think a lot of that is overhyped.

GT has a bunch of mediocre players in the NBA. Bosh is the biggest name, but only stayed one year. No one really remembers where he went. Regardless of how we feel about his departure, CP still has a great association with WFU (AAU team, HS players camps, etc) which helps a lot.

Here's my list:

UNC - obvious why
Duke - obvious why
Maryland - near DC
Georgia Tech - mainly because it's in Atlanta
Wake Forest - I'm prejudiced but we could become consistently good
Virginia - elite state school, near DC and NE cities
NC State - a has been, who could come back, but it wont be easy
F$U - football school
BC - too many pro sports and the Celtics too distracting
VaTech - football school, little hoops tradition
Clemson - football school, little hoops tradition
Miami - football school, no hoops tradition (with apologies to Rick Barry)

I know a guy who is pretty plugged into the NBA and knows a lot about sports, and he asked whether Duncan ever went to a FF. When I told him that Wake hadn't made it in nearly 50 years, he was shocked. Wake does have a solid NBA rep. Doesn't really mean that there aren't severe limitations in terms of size and facilities (While the Joel is OK, anyone who has been there knows its' limitations) that, in my opinion, keeps the overall program's ceiling below the big public schools with new arenas or soon to get new arenas.

UNC
Duke
Maryland
NC State
GT
Clemson
Wake
UVA
FSU
BC
VT
Miami

I think people are overrating Maryland. People in the surrounding areas don't care a lot about college sports. I think MD, NCSU, GT, and Wake are all somewhat interchangeable at the 3-6 spots. 7-8 are Clemson and UVA (not in order), 9-10 are FSU and VT (not in order), 11-12 are Miami and BC (not in order).

I think people are overrating Maryland. People in the surrounding areas don't care a lot about college sports. I think MD, NCSU, GT, and Wake are all somewhat interchangeable at the 3-6 spots. 7-8 are Clemson and UVA (not in order), 9-10 are FSU and VT (not in order), 11-12 are Miami and BC (not in order).

I think the reason Maryland is a clear 3 is not because of the fan interest in surrounding areas, but because of all of the basketball talent that comes out of the DC and Baltimore metro areas. It's incredible.

Actually, Boston is a majority-minority city:

From wikipedia:
According to the 2010 U.S. Census, the racial composition of Boston was as follows:[80]

* White: 53.9% (Non-Hispanic Whites: 47.0%)
* Black or African American: 22.4%
* Native American: 0.2%
* Asian: 8.9%
* Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander: 0.0%
* Some other race: 1.6%
* Two or more races: 2.4%
* Hispanic or Latino (of any race): 17.5%

Boston isn't as diverse as New York, Chicago, or Philly, but it's pretty diverse.

It's not that Boston isn't diverse. Boston sporting events aren't diverse.

Boston is fairly diverse as a whole, but the neighborhoods are very segregated. Brookline and Newton, where BC is located, are about as lilly white as it gets, and the BC campus makes even Wake look diverse.

FSU

FSU has one of the nicest hoops facilities in the ACC with respect to offices and practice/fitness center/cafe however, the Donald L Tucker Center is awful. Hamilton can recruit a lot of players due to his NBA ties. Even though he wasn't successful in the NBA, he still has a lot of pull with the association. Tallahassee will forever bring great black athletes in because FAMU is one of the best black colleges in America and is slammed with women.

FSU is 3rd behind UNC and Duke the past 3 years in success. Yes, its' a football school but today's players are looking for one year vacations rather than 3-4 year "programs".

With all that said in terms of history although the Noles have played in a championship game, elite 8 a couple sweet 16s and produced a NBA hall of famer, I would rank the schools as follows:

UNC
Duke
Maryland
GT
NCST
Wake
Clemson
UVA
FSU
BC
VT
Miami

It's a pro sports area, but UMD basketball has a huge following. The football program is the one that really suffers from the pro sports because there is RABID support for both the Ravens and Redskins that doesn't exist for the Wizards. UMD is a pretty clear #3 in the ACC. Even if I granted you the fact that UMD fan support is overrated (which I dont necessarily agree with) it probably still has the biggest fan base of the 4 schools listed.

Last edited:
It's not so much Maryland is this great, legendary basketball job but that after UNC and Duke, there really isn't any other ACC gig that is superior in the ways that matter. Some of us have nice arenas (UVA has JPJ, Clemson has Littlejohn, the Joel can be decent if the team is competitive), some have nice geographic recruiting bases (GT), some are football-first schools that enjoy limited fan support (FSU, VT, Clemson), some fanbases simply don't care about basketball at all or have horrid facilities (BC, Miami, GT currently), others enjoy some of these tangible benefits but lack any sort of NBA presence (UVA, VT) or recent on-court success (State), and lastly, some just don't have a ton of money or financial resources to fix other shortcomings or capitalize on being basketball-first schools in the first place (Wake).

In short, IMHO Maryland wins third place as "sexiest ACC job" basically by default.

Last edited:
It's not so much Maryland is this great, legendary basketball job but that after UNC and Duke, there really isn't any other ACC gig that is superior in the ways that matter. Some of us have nice arenas (UVA has JPJ, Clemson has Littlejohn, the Joel can be decent if the team is competitive), some have nice geographic recruiting bases (GT), some are football-first schools that limit fan support (FSU, VT, Clemson), some fanbases simply don't care about basketball at all or have horrid facilities (BC, Miami, GT currently), while others enjoy some of these tangible benefits but lack any sort of NBA presence (UVA, VT) or recent on-court success (State), and lastly, some just don't have a ton of money or financial resources to fix other shortcomings or capitalize on being basketball-first schools in the first place (Wake).

In short, IMHO Maryland wins third place as "sexiest ACC job" basically by default.

I mean, I'd argue that Maryland is a top 15 job nationally. Its not a blue blood so if thats what you mean when you say "by default" then sure, but it is a pretty desirable job.

I mean, I'd argue that Maryland is a top 15 job nationally. Its not a blue blood so if thats what you mean when you say "by default" then sure, but it is a pretty desirable job.

I'd agree--Maryland is easily a top 20 job and probably higher than that. Didn't mean to make it seem like "just an OK" job that was merely better than a bunch of bad jobs. Just wanted to point out that although it may not "seem" like an elite-type job to casual fans, Maryland is in actuality a lot less limited than virtually every other ACC program besides UNC and Duke--thus its solid status as third-best job, IMHO.

There seems to be a lot of LOWF thinking on this thread. It's obvious Duke, UNC and Maryland are better jobs than Wake.

Wake may need some better facilities, but coaches as different as Dave Odom and Skip Prosser have been successful.

To many kids, who a school has in the NBA is much more important than winning in the 70s or 80s. History is boring. Knowing history is rare. They know who Chris Paul is. They know who Tim Duncan is.

There are no stars from GT, Clemson, NC State or UVA. If the players want to go to the league, they are think about where their favorties went to college more than who in the 80s.

Kids are dying to be the next Tim Duncan, that's for sure

You mean big kids don't want to be Hall of Famers? Or the best that ever lived at their position?

coulda fooled me.....

Back