• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Archie Miller?

I think the Archie naysayers are letting emotion get in the way of logic. Dude would absolutely kill it here.

If you were around to watch that annoying little Archie play for State, it's hard to imagine him on the Wake bench. Would take some work to get past that -- on both sides. Don't you think Archie loves State? After all, they hired his brother as an assistant to get Archie.

Still better than Bzz, tho.

Wake Forest Head Basketball Coach Jon Scheyer

Imagine that younger fans. Now you see how the rest of us feel about Arch Miller.

Why do we hate Miller so much as a player? Didn't we own State during his time on the team?

Unless you can somehow guarantee me that the next coach will stay here 30 years, win 10 national titles and be in the final four 50 percent of the time, I want absolutely NO former players from other ACC schools as a coach.

Unless you can somehow guarantee me that the next coach will stay here 30 years, win 10 national titles and be in the final four 50 percent of the time, I want absolutely NO former players from other ACC schools as a coach.

That is just foolish.

That is just foolish.

Maybe to you. But as someone mentioned earlier, imagine having John Scheyer (or for that matter Chris Collins or Wojo) as our coah and we enjoy great success and all you ever hear about is the Duke influence on making "Wake Forest good again." Not to mention what you'd have to endure from Duke fans. Sorry, not interested.

There are plenty of other options that wouldn't rely on former rivals.

Archie Miller Does What Larue and Childress Couldn't by Caulton Tudor

Maybe to you. But as someone mentioned earlier, imagine having John Scheyer (or for that matter Chris Collins or Wojo) as our coah and we enjoy great success and all you ever hear about is the Duke influence on making "Wake Forest good again." Not to mention what you'd have to endure from Duke fans. Sorry, not interested.

There are plenty of other options that wouldn't rely on former rivals.

If I thought that Scheyer (or Collins or Wojo) would be a great coach for us, of course I'd support that.

This entire sentiment is ridiculous and counterproductive. I guarantee we've gotten more shit these last four years from rival fans than we would have gotten had we had [insert rival player x] as a coach on winning teams.

Who gives a shit what opposing fans think when we're beating the living shit out of their teams?

Yeah, any opposing fan that brought that smack would be laughed off the board.

"Ha ha ha look at our former players helping you win!"

"Yeah, he just crushed your team, maybe you guys should have hired him?"

/argument

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I HATED when all those UVA football fans talked trash in 2006.

Archie Miller Does What Larue and Childress Couldn't by Caulton Tudor

Reaching, Ph. That would never be a headline or even a line in a column - just wouldn't - but even if it was I wouldn't care. Just give me a good coach and don't restrict the pool that we can choose from.

It's kind of like the people who worry if it's made public that we got turned down by this coach or that coach. Oh the horror, it's so embarrassing. I don't care if we get turned down by 10 coaches and everyone knows about it as long as the coach we do end up with is a good one. That's much preferable to conducting a "professional" search and ending up with a [Redacted].

I'd be shocked if Miller was even contacted. Couple his paucity of experience as a head coach (3 years, 1 program) with the fact that at least some Wake donors / higher-ups / administrators / etc. would be a little miffed at hiring a former NC State player -- and a particularly unlikeable one at that -- and I just don't think Wellman even thinks about going there.

That he went to NC State and happened to be a douchey player while there isn't a deal breaker per se, but if we're going to opt for one of these various late 30s / early 40s up-and-comers from a mid-major, really no reason to choose the one with 'alienation potential' unless he's so far ahead of the other similar candidates that the decision makes itself. Compared to the Whites or Prohms or Leon Rices or Russell Turners of the world, Miller doesn't stand out so far above those guys that we need to risk it.

I'd be shocked if Miller was even contacted. Couple his paucity of experience as a head coach (3 years, 1 program) with the fact that at least some Wake donors / higher-ups / administrators / etc. would be a little miffed at hiring a former NC State player -- and a particularly unlikeable one at that -- and I just don't think Wellman even thinks about going there.

That he went to NC State and happened to be a douchey player while there isn't a deal breaker per se, but if we're going to opt for one of these various late 30s / early 40s up-and-comers from a mid-major, really no reason to choose the one with 'alienation potential' unless he's so far ahead of the other similar candidates that the decision makes itself. Compared to the Whites or Prohms or Leon Rices or Russell Turners of the world, Miller doesn't stand out so far above those guys that we need to risk it.

Not going to argue the point of your post that Wellman might not consider a young candidate because you are right that it does not fit his hiring history.

But I do think Archie has a much much stronger resume than Russell Turner or Steve Prohm. Probably the strongest resume of the whole bunch of young guys. He is the only one that has experience as a head coach pulling highly recruited guys as a head coach.

http://247sports.com/Player/Kyle-Davis-20704
http://247sports.com/Player/Dayshon-Smith-21059
http://247sports.com/Player/Darrell-Davis-34118

These are top 200 national players with high BCS offers that he is bringing to Dayton. Even though his 3 Kenpom ratings are only 71, 63, 54 this is not an extremely old Dayton team like so many of the guys we are considering. Many of the other candidates are on ¨peak¨ years with very veteran teams. Dayton is 209th in experience this year. Also Dayton is by far the the best program (smallest jump to ACC) of all the young candidates.

ETA: I don't think you can just say ¨Let's just hire the Archie Miller equivalent that didn't play for a rival school.¨ Not out there.

Last edited:
I didn't really find Jon Scheyer all that annoying. Do you guys find him annoying because of the "Scheyerface" or is there some other on the court antics that I am unaware of.

He was just he first person I thought of that younger fans may have found annoying.

U guys are funny. I could careless who we hire as long as he's a winner. Most of haven't been Wake fans that long it seems.

Back