• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NBA offseason thread

Sounds like CP wants to go to the Lakers now.

Also, new rule changes coming that sound like good moves.

"Rip-through" moves, in which an offensive player swings the ball into a defender's outstretched arm and then attempts a shot once he has created contact, will be considered non-shooting fouls if the contact begins before the offensive player starts his shooting motion.

Also, on drives to the basket, a shooting foul will be called only if contact occurs after the offensive player has begun his shooting motion, not after he has initiated his leap toward the basket.

"Certain types of contact involving the shooter were all being called in his favor," Jackson said. "It doesn't look good for the game. There was a strong feeling that those types of plays were creating an ill-advised reward for the shooter, often with three free throws."

The league will also make traveling in the post and on the perimeter a point of emphasis, with a player hopping off of and landing on the same foot viewed as an automatic violation. Referees will also consider locking or clamping an opponent's arm or hand under the basket while battling for a rebound and discontinued or hesitation dribbles as automatic violations.

The emphasis on limiting "continuation" seems like a good thing to me.

The travelling stuff seems a little ill-advised. Travelling is such a tough thing to officiate, because players do it so often, and Reffs only call it half the time. Why do they get it right half the time? They only have so many pairs of eyes, and so much focus. I'll call this "officiating resources." As a fan, I get frustrated when Reffs start dwelling on travelling, calling the nitpicky stuff, and expend too many resources there. They then forget to call the rest of the game or the egregious travels.

After all, there are basically two kinds of travels: travels where the player gains an advantage over the defender, and travels where literally no one notices - not even the defender.

The emphasis on traveling far away from the basket and the perimeter (like when a player is running to receive the ball, stops, and then takes a step again) is the part that seems ill-advised to me. I'd rather see the NBA stop LeBron and Kobe from taking 4 steps to the basket as they're marauding down the lane through traffic. Stop that, and then we'll talk. But to nail guys for moving with their left foot instead of their right when they're just across half court seems like a waste of officiating resources.

Bucher hearing Battier to the Heat. Not a surprise, will take Miller's spot on the roster.

Thought they said they weren't amnestying him earlier today?

I just enjoy this whole amnesty thing, it opens up so many possibilities. I want to start incorporating it into my daily life. We should be able to amnesty people's rep. They keep the points but no longer get the reputation that goes with it.

why the hell is kobe untouchable? he's almost done.

i'd trade kobe straight up for CP at this point.

Out of nowhere, Tyson Chandler to the Knicks. They now might trade Amare for CP.

Also gaining steam, a 3-teamer between the Lakers, Rockets, and Hornets that would send CP to the Lakers and let them keep Bynum.

Out of nowhere, Tyson Chandler to the Knicks. They now might trade Amare for CP.

Is Billups a part of that deal? I think they were going to either amnesty his contract or use him in the Dallas sign&trade for Chandler.

This would bring up interesting questions for the Knicks. Would they keep Amar'e as the PF and play him and Chandler together? It would be like the Lakers, who can take Bynum out and use Pau as the C when they want to go small.

They won't be actually be able to pay Chandler unless Billups is gone, so Billups will be gone one way or another.

This is their attempt to get back in on the CP race. The pity is that CP+Amare+Chandler > CP+Melo+Chandler.

Now if I'm NO though I want nothing to do with a pissed off Amare.

What's funny to me is that the collective bargaining agreement makes the star laden teams harder to build, yet the GMs are trying to get those teams put together anyway.

Some team in the next few years is going to build a championship team by drafting well and signing $5million veterans and then that will be the model.

This 3-headed monster team philosophy is not going to work, IMO. It'll work for the Heat, but nobody else. The Knicks can try, but to sign CP, they are going to have to trade Amare and that will be the catch-22 of these deals going forward.

If I'm CP3, I fight to go to the Clippers and then insist they rework those gawdawful uniforms. black and gold, baby. There is only one other team that is black and gold (Pacers). A team with rookie contract studs and one high paid superstar plus some veteran $5mil players is going to be the way to build short-term success. Then the rooks will have to be signed or traded, but again I don't see how anybody can duplicate the Heat

Sounds like the skeleton of the deal would be Rockets would send Kevin Martin, Luis Scola and picks to the Hornets, Hornets send CP to LAL, and Lakers send Pau to Houston.

Is Billups a part of that deal? I think they were going to either amnesty his contract or use him in the Dallas sign&trade for Chandler.

This would bring up interesting questions for the Knicks. Would they keep Amar'e as the PF and play him and Chandler together? It would be like the Lakers, who can take Bynum out and use Pau as the C when they want to go small.
Yeah, keep Amare at PF and put Chandler at the 5; Amare plays center but he's not a big fan, and his post defense is kind of shit.

Back