• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NBA offseason thread

pretty funny that a city has a name for bandwagon fans

wackyplanetshop_1995_91860076.jpeg

I thought "pink-hatter" was a universally recognized term for "casual fan bitches".

I could be wrong.

If I'm boston......

3 Teamer

Boston Gets: CP3
Chicago gets: Ray Allen
NO gets: Rondo + Gibson + whatever else picks, cash, another bulls guy (trade can work with any contender looking for a SG who has valuable assets to ship to the Hornets)

Amnesty Pierce in the offseason, Sign Dwight since the only player on your roster is CP3. Build.

Nets, Lakers, Heat, Clippers, Celtics, Blazers, Thunder, Knicks. Get in line. Make your trade offers. Otis Smith may listen, but you can take his laughter to mean one thing: Nice try, but no thanks.

Orlando is all in. The Magic have made big trades. Taken on big salaries. Failed they have, but Otis Smith and Magic will not keep trying to win with Dwight Howard until the big man leaves.

Tuck: Orlando Magic Will Not Trade Dwight Howard

This sounds incredibly dumb, but what do I know? Maybe the Magic can win it all, but I doubt it. I get that Smith will be fired, the fanbase will disappear, and you can't get fair value for Howard, but is it really better to lose in the Eastern Conference Finals one year than be a consistent playoff team for the next 5-6 years? The Magic will be dreadful again for a while if they let Howard walk after this year.

Or maybe he's just trying to reassure fans. Who knows.

So hey! I run a keeper NBA league that's going into Season 2, and I could use a few owners. It's a 12 team league on ESPN, and 4 of the teams are run by Deac fans... If anyone's interested, let me know, and I'll give you a rundown of the open rosters. We're doing 5 keepers, and the open teams are not completely devoid of talent.

If I'm boston......

3 Teamer

Boston Gets: CP3
Chicago gets: Ray Allen
NO gets: Rondo + Gibson + whatever else picks, cash, another bulls guy (trade can work with any contender looking for a SG who has valuable assets to ship to the Hornets)

Amnesty Pierce in the offseason, Sign Dwight since the only player on your roster is CP3. Build.

No chance the bulls and celts help each other

Did anyone actually watch Perkins after the trade to OKC last year? He was terrible, his knee is completely fucked, he was basically useless (although so is Jeff Green). Ainge made a move because he thought he needed another perimeter defender to guard Lebron/Wade and it backfired, but that team wasn't winning shit with Perkins either.

Also, BDZ, people hate you because you are an asshole not because you are a boston fan. do you even like the Red Sox? and yeah the Celts were bad but no one feels bad about the decade of misery they endured considering they are the most successful franchise in NBA history.

Also, BDZ, people hate you because you are an asshole not because you are a boston fan. do you even like the Red Sox? and yeah the Celts were bad but no one feels bad about the decade of misery they endured considering they are the most successful franchise in NBA history.

no, he likes the O's.

I never figured out why people spaz about liking teams from different cities. wgaf?

no, he likes the O's.

I never figured out why people spaz about liking teams from different cities. wgaf?

I typically don't, but he was just being a big time hater and calling out all the pink-hatters, and whining about people hating the celtics. if he was an all sports boston fan he would be used to people hating on his team just to hate.

Last edited:
Did anyone actually watch Perkins after the trade to OKC last year? He was terrible, his knee is completely fucked, he was basically useless (although so is Jeff Green). Ainge made a move because he thought he needed another perimeter defender to guard Lebron/Wade and it backfired, but that team wasn't winning shit with Perkins either.

Perkins was never more than a role player anyway. When OKC made that trade, people freaked out like we were talking about Shaq in his prime.

This. At the time, Boston's centers were: Jermaine O'Neal. Glen Davis played there out of position every so often, but he is also a basketball-challenged midget who can neither play defense nor shoot the ball. We also had Semih Erden and Luke Harangody (for the record, I am pretty livid with Ainge for trading these two), but they were both pretty raw, and Harangody is like the Glen Davis of Scalabrines, if that makes sense.

That was also around the time where Ainge started saying every week that "Shaq's gonna come back next week, promise," but it was clear that Shaq was probably not coming back for good. And, again-- this can't be emphasized enough-- Perkins' knee seemed completely fucked. Ainge had every reason to assume he was done for the year.

So, making this trade didn't just get Jeff Green (who, as I said before, was a pretty huge asset himself). It also netted the Celts Nenad Krstic. Obviously, Krstic is and was not a great, or even good, player. But he was a big man, and we needed a warm body. It also (in part) allowed us to sign Troy Murphy, obviously historically a shitastic defensive center, but someone who could at least score and rebound.

Now, Murphy was unsuccessful. Krstic was mostly unsuccessful. And Perkins obviously came back and looked okay in the playoffs (relative to the pile of corpses we had). But that's all hindsight. I don't really direct much blame towards Ainge there (although, again, I would have loved to have Erden off the bench). If anything, I'd direct a little blame at Doc, as Murphy became the latest example of him failing to work players into his rotation midseason. It seems to be a season-by-season occurrence, and admittedly, you'd think that at this point, Ainge would see that and stop putting so much weight into go-for-broke midseason additions.

My hope at this point is that Ainge continues to prove to be the best 2nd round drafter in the history of anything, and JaJuan Johnson lights the world on fire this season. That'd be pretty nice.

Last edited:
RSF, I mostly agree but I believe Ainge really did think that Shaq was gonna get healthy and would be ready come the stretch run/p offs. Remember the Celts were awesome and didnt miss a beat at the start of the season with Shaq and w/o Perkins.

RSF, I mostly agree but I believe Ainge really did think that Shaq was gonna get healthy and would be ready come the stretch run/p offs. Remember the Celts were awesome and didnt miss a beat at the start of the season with Shaq and w/o Perkins.
I'm still bitter. After the fourth or fifth fake deadline Shaq missed, I became convinced everybody was just fucking with me.

LOL at the decade of Boston misery.

Not that I'm a Knicks fan, but no franchise has sucked worse over a 10year period than the Knicks under Isiah Thomas. And that includes the Nets and Clippers.

The Knicks made so many awful decisions that they had no chance of being good for like 4 years. None. They waited 4 years to sign Lebron and then get barely a glance.

The Knicks only became watchable again when they signed Amare. Then they fucked that up by trading half the team to Denver for a guy that is barely in the top25 of NBA players. I don't Melo, but he would be awesome if he could get his 23 pts on 13-15 shots a game. But he needs 20 shots to get those 23 points and that is John Starks-esque. Or Alan Iverson-esque

Who do you like in a series: Lebron-Wade-Bosh and a bunch of scrubs or CP-Melo-Stoudemire and a bunch of scrubs? Heat would be much better defensively but the Knicks offense would be insanely good.

Back