• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Corruption at Fiesta Bowl

I never really understood how the Fiesta Bowl jumped over a lot of older, more established bowls to become a BCS Bowl when they started the BCS. Guess now I know.

“I must say that the actions undertaken and orchestrated by John Junker and others are shocking and completely unacceptable.”
-- Fiesta Bowl chairman Duane Woods

Yeah. Sure Duane.

As much as I hate Jerry, the Cotton Bowl should be a major bowl.

I never really understood how the Fiesta Bowl jumped over a lot of older, more established bowls to become a BCS Bowl when they started the BCS. Guess now I know.

Location was a big part I'd guess. That and cash payments.

“I must say that the actions undertaken and orchestrated by John Junker and others are shocking and completely unacceptable.”
-- Fiesta Bowl chairman Duane Woods

Yeah. Sure Duane.

As much as I hate Jerry, the Cotton Bowl should be a major bowl.

Agreed.

And though I dislike Jerry, he tried to convince the Mayor of Dallas to let him build his stadium at the state fair to keep the cotton bowl tradition....

With new mgmt, the Fiesta should stay in the BCS because it is a great location and a sweet stadium. But I also agree that the Cotton Bowl is worthy of BCS status as well. Perhaps instead of one of the current four having two games (the other being the title game), add the Cotton Bowl, and then rotate locations of the title game like they already do, but so each site has only one game.

Location was a big part I'd guess. That and cash payments.

One advantage they had back in the 80's was no conference tie-ins. Since there were many relevant independents at the time (Miami, Penn State, FSU), they were in a position to set up great matchups as they were not hamstrung by being forced to take a 2 or 3 loss conference champion. The 1986 game pitted Miami and and Penn State for all the marbles, for example, and this was a matchup which was physically impossible for the Orange, Rose, Sugar, or Cotton to accommodate. That propelled the Fiesta onto the scene, and as noted above, the warm weather location helped as well.

One advantage they had back in the 80's was no conference tie-ins. Since there were many relevant independents at the time (Miami, Penn State, FSU), they were in a position to set up great matchups as they were not hamstrung by being forced to take a 2 or 3 loss conference champion. The 1986 game pitted Miami and and Penn State for all the marbles, for example, and this was a matchup which was physically impossible for the Orange, Rose, Sugar, or Cotton to accommodate. That propelled the Fiesta onto the scene, and as noted above, the warm weather location helped as well.

I've often wondered how the Fiesta Bowl jumped the Cotton into the BCS. Putting aside possible payoffs your explanation makes sense. Good post.

I've often wondered how the Fiesta Bowl jumped the Cotton into the BCS. Putting aside possible payoffs your explanation makes sense. Good post.

Good post indeed. In addition to Vendetta's points about the Fiesta not having tie-ins, the Cotton Bowl was still wedded to the glorified mid major SWC when the BCS's predecessor, the Bowl Alliance, formed. Something else that was a factor was the state of the actual stadium. The recent renovations to the Cotton Bowl hadn't occurred yet, and it was an absolute dump. While the old Orange Bowl was in similar disrepair, it was in Miami.

Ohio State is thinking about hiring Junker as Athletic Director.

With new mgmt, the Fiesta should stay in the BCS because it is a great location and a sweet stadium. But I also agree that the Cotton Bowl is worthy of BCS status as well. Perhaps instead of one of the current four having two games (the other being the title game), add the Cotton Bowl, and then rotate locations of the title game like they already do, but so each site has only one game.

Orange/Sugar/Fiesta/Rose voted against that plan last time, because it meant they'd only have the title game every 5 years, instead of every 4, so not sure if they'd be open to changing their mind 8 years later. Of course, if Congress is threatening to blow up the BCS, maybe they'll be a little more open-minded this time around.

Back