• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

On An Airplane Next To A Fat Guy

This happened to Bill Clinton once on the same flight as my wife. He sat across the aisle from her, in coach, which I find amazing (no upgrade? really?).

all i can think about is wcsr by kid rock ft. snoop dogg. awesome song btw.

Why didn't you switch with your kid? That seems just as easy as making a woman move to a middle seat, because a child is kicking the back of her seat and the parent seems to care less.

Never flown Southwest, but I can understand why she wouldn't want to sit in a middle seat. Assuming she asked politely, I don't see anything wrong with what she did. If she was a bitch to you, I can understand taking a "screw you; you move" stance.

Yea, I agree with this. Teach your kid how to fly with manners. You don't kick the back of someones seat purposely, I don't care how many empty seats there are on a flight. There are plenty of well behaved children on flights whose parents taught them the right way to fly. The asshole kids whose parents can't control them help to ruin flying for everyone.

I'm not saying you can't control your kid. Also, babies are an exception, I always feel bad for the person with a crying baby. They obviously know they are annoying the whole flight and are usually doing everything in their power to calm the baby down.

Yea, I agree with this. Teach your kid how to fly with manners. You don't kick the back of someones seat purposely, I don't care how many empty seats there are on a flight. There are plenty of well behaved children on flights whose parents taught them the right way to fly. The asshole kids whose parents can't control them help to ruin flying for everyone.

I'm not saying you can't control your kid. Also, babies are an exception, I always feel bad for the person with a crying baby. They obviously know they are annoying the whole flight and are usually doing everything in their power to calm the baby down.

QFT

not true. on a red eye flight to london so that everyone could sleep, this asshole mom refused to give the baby a pacifier, even though she had one, because she "didn't want the baby to become dependent on it". The baby cried the entire time. Despite the flight attendants coming and begging her to give the baby the passy, she refused. incredible. Your baby isn't going to become dependent in one day lady, dumb broad. never been so mad on a flight

Why didn't you switch with your kid? That seems just as easy as making a woman move to a middle seat, because a child is kicking the back of her seat and the parent seems to care less.

Never flown Southwest, but I can understand why she wouldn't want to sit in a middle seat. Assuming she asked politely, I don't see anything wrong with what she did. If she was a bitch to you, I can understand taking a "screw you; you move" stance.

On Southwest, you can choose your own seat given your place in line. We boarded in the A group and she sat down after we already boarded.

FAA regulations state that a child under 2 must be on a parent's lap or in a car seat in a window seat. My 15 month old was in a car seat in a window seat. We couldn't move him anywhere else. Putting a car seat in an airplane is a pain and a half. Obviously, it would have been ridiculous to move a 15 month old and a car seat in the middle of a flight and that would have bothered many more people.

By the way, she was a complete bitch and personally insulted my son saying, "I'd hate to see what he's like when he's older".

Maybe I'm unique, but I've never been bothered by kids on planes even before I became a dad. If parents didn't fly with their kids, ticket prices would be higher. Having a child is stressful and flying with one is even worse. Being a dick to a parent just makes it worse for them.

Alright, ended up having someone next to me on the first flight. Nice guy, perfectly suited to be the 'middle seat' guy. He did stake early claim to the armrest, but that's cool. I do too, when I'm middle seat.
Overall a decent leg, other than not getting hardly enough sleep.

Sitting in new terminal. Some guy keeps making these awful retching throat-clearing noises.

I'll probably end up next to him.

On Southwest, you can choose your own seat given your place in line. We boarded in the A group and she sat down after we already boarded.

FAA regulations state that a child under 2 must be on a parent's lap or in a car seat in a window seat. My 15 month old was in a car seat in a window seat. We couldn't move him anywhere else. Putting a car seat in an airplane is a pain and a half. Obviously, it would have been ridiculous to move a 15 month old and a car seat in the middle of a flight and that would have bothered many more people.

By the way, she was a complete bitch and personally insulted my son saying, "I'd hate to see what he's like when he's older".

Maybe I'm unique, but I've never been bothered by kids on planes even before I became a dad. If parents didn't fly with their kids, ticket prices would be higher. Having a child is stressful and flying with one is even worse. Being a dick to a parent just makes it worse for them.

In my mind a 15 month old is still considered a baby. Especially if they have to be in a car seat. Understand your situation. Don't understand the 4 to however year olds who kick the seat of the person in front of them while the parents just stare at them. Then when the person whose seat has been kicked for about a half hour turns around and politely asks them to stop the parents act like its a totally ridiculous request. Obviously your situation is different.

Again, there are well behaved kids whose parents have taught them the right way to act in a public setting such as an airport and there are parents who don't realize that it is part of their job to make sure their kid is not single handily disrupting everyone around them.

15 month old people. Come on.

You're right, he mentioned that it was a 15 month old the first time around. Oh wait, he didn't.

QFT

Another thing you guys need to keep in mind is that a kid's (esp one in a car seat) legs end right at the back of the seat. Your legs hang down below the seat. So, any leg movement by a small child results in a seat kick. Now, if your kid is playing foot drums, that is one thing, but I have seen many cases where a natural leg movement by a kid results in some complaining. My motto when flying with young kids has always been: "Fuck it, I will never see they people again." That said, my girls are well behaved.

Last edited:
You're right, he mentioned that it was a 15 month old the first time around. Oh wait, he didn't.

No but he mentioned it was a while back and has mentioned the age of his son on about 2348923749286492836 other threads. No need to respond with such a douchey tone.

Some people just like to get angry and be assholes and planes are the perfect place for them to act out because everyone is already cranky after paying to check a bag and being groped by security. I wish there was a way to weed those people out with the terrorists.

wtf is wrong with you people? christ almighty it's kid on a plane. it's not an easy situation for anyone. it's not like parents get excited about it.

I don't even care about being groped by security or being x-rayed. What drives me crazy is having to take my toothpaste out of my bag and take off my belt. Thank god I qualify for the fast lane at the security gate.

wtf is wrong with you people? christ almighty it's kid on a plane. it's not an easy situation for anyone. it's not like parents get excited about it.

This is my other thought. I ALWAYS feel bad for parents having to drag all that stuff around etc. Anytime my wife mentions kids I think "well we need to take a plane trip somewhere" because every time we fly it changes her mind for a while.

Couple of questions for Mr. Petter:

Q) Did you ever in your wildest dreams imagine that your modest thread would make it to 10+ pages?

Q) What do you attribute to the Pit's obsession with weight?

Q) Are you a member of the "mile high" club?

Q) Have you ever flown first/business class?

Q) Have you ever gotten inebriated on a flight?

Q) Why do you think PhDeac is so obsessed with mousy white brunettes?

Q)
Where do you see yourself in five years?

This is my other thought. I ALWAYS feel bad for parents having to drag all that stuff around etc. Anytime my wife mentions kids I think "well we need to take a plane trip somewhere" because every time we fly it changes her mind for a while.

when we arrived back in DC from our honeymoon my wife and I met a couple in line at customs. they had an 8mo old with them. they were living in Germany but were visiting family back in the states. the airlines had totally mangled their stroller and lost one of their baby bags. womp womp.

when we arrived back in DC from our honeymoon my wife and I met a couple in line at customs. they had an 8mo old with them. they were living in Germany but were visiting family back in the states. the airlines had totally mangled their stroller and lost one of their baby bags. womp womp.

The good news is that you normally get placed in a special line in customs if you have kids or a pregnant wife.

Back