• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

On An Airplane Next To A Fat Guy

Ok, second leg of the trip was great. Pretty empty flight, so I had nobody next to me. I slept the whole way, they even got me a 'first class' blanket (I asked really nicely).

I still have a crick in my neck from the first leg, but overall they were good flights.

Ok, second leg of the trip was great. Pretty empty flight, so I had nobody next to me. I slept the whole way, they even got me a 'first class' blanket (I asked really nicely).

I still have a crick in my neck from the first leg, but overall they were good flights.

And thus the conclusion of the epic saga 'lbe takes a flight'. I, for one, was on the edge of my seat until the last keystroke.

And thus the conclusion of the epic saga 'lbe takes a flight'. I, for one, was on the edge of my seat until the last keystroke.

this made me laugh.
even as i was making posts i was thinking to myself "nobody cares"... and yet that's how I feel about a lot of the stuff on here posted by any one person so I continued, if nothing else for my own sake. i get bored traveling alone.

Why didn't you switch with your kid? That seems just as easy as making a woman move to a middle seat, because a child is kicking the back of her seat and the parent seems to care less.

Never flown Southwest, but I can understand why she wouldn't want to sit in a middle seat. Assuming she asked politely, I don't see anything wrong with what she did. If she was a bitch to you, I can understand taking a "screw you; you move" stance.

What the hell? It's the parent's responsibility to make their kid stop kicking the seat. Nothing wrong at all with asking them to do so.

What the hell? It's the parent's responsibility to make their kid stop kicking the seat. Nothing wrong at all with asking them to do so.

Next time I fly with a 15 month old, I'll invite you to be on kicking duty.

Next time I fly with a 15 month old, I'll invite you to be on kicking duty.

maybe a dumb idea but turn the carseat around? Obviously if it's SW and not full the person can move, but I'd be livid if there were no options and you couldn't control your kid. Maybe don't fly with them until you can?

Livid? People need to relax a little. I would be annoyed, but livid is extreme. Telling people that kids can't fly to see relatives etc. until older is ridiculous too.

maybe a dumb idea but turn the carseat around? Obviously if it's SW and not full the person can move, but I'd be livid if there were no options and you couldn't control your kid. Maybe don't fly with them until you can?

You can't at that age. And airlines would hate your last suggestion.

Livid? People need to relax a little. I would be annoyed, but livid is extreme. Telling people that kids can't fly to see relatives etc. until older is ridiculous too.

Have you ever been kicked from the seat behind you? Once is free. Twice gets a quick glance over the shoulder. 3 times gets a request to control the child.

Have you ever been kicked from the seat behind you? Once is free. Twice gets a quick glance over the shoulder. 3 times gets a request to control the child.

Yes, I spent the better part of a trans-Atlantic flight getting kicked in the back by a child about pH's kid's age - in a car seat, so his legs pretty much ended right at the back of my seat. Once I did the glance over the shoulder and saw that it was a kid who basically had no control over whether he was kicking me, I turned around and acted like a rational adult and sucked it up. If it's a 5 year old or something, of course I'll say something to the parent, but a 15-18ish month old in a car seat, there's nothing anyone can do about it, so there's no reason to be a jerk about it.

Yes, I spent the better part of a trans-Atlantic flight getting kicked in the back by a child about pH's kid's age - in a car seat, so his legs pretty much ended right at the back of my seat. Once I did the glance over the shoulder and saw that it was a kid who basically had no control over whether he was kicking me, I turned around and acted like a rational adult and sucked it up. If it's a 5 year old or something, of course I'll say something to the parent, but a 15-18ish month old in a car seat, there's nothing anyone can do about it, so there's no reason to be a jerk about it.

good for you. Parent can pick the kid up if nothing less. I'd be in jail if that happened to me.

You're a good person. For trans-Atlantic flights, Ambien and a nice cabernet make me a better person.

You're a good person. For trans-Atlantic flights, Ambien and a nice cabernet make me a better person.

Don't get me wrong - I had more than a few drinks. I just don't think there's any reason to be a jerk when there's nothing anyone can really do about it (and I don't think "don't take babies/small children on planes" is an option).

good for you. Parent can pick the kid up if nothing less. I'd be in jail if that happened to me.

so the parent should put their kid in danger so that you are more comfortable? nice. Car seats are safer than in arms, period. Now you are just being obstinate

so the parent should put their kid in danger so that you are more comfortable? nice. Car seats are safer than in arms, period. Now you are just being obstinate

If the plane crashes, the car seat ain't saving the kid.

Thought better of getting into this here, but I will say that The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that kids ride in child safety seats on airplanes, based on studies which show preventable deaths and injuries have occurred in lap children and the FAA does as well. And there is evidence (maybe anecdotal) that it actually can protect your child in a plane crash.

Last edited:
Thought better of getting into this here, but I will say that The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that kids ride in child safety seats on airplanes, based on studies which show preventable deaths and injuries have occurred in lap children and the FAA does as well. And there is evidence (maybe anecdotal) that it actually can protect your child in a plane crash.

I actually think you should post what you had up there. I had no idea that baby seats were recommended on flights.

Back