• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

On An Airplane Next To A Fat Guy

For people who do the transatlantic thing often, how do you recover from the overnight to Europe? I got about two hours of sleep on the flight, and the rest of my week was shot. I was tired and sick until Saturday. Sleeping upright is a pain and the neck pillows just feel uncomfortable. There has to be a better way than paying business class.

I only go to Europe 2 or 3 times a year, so not super often - but I have started booking myself in a day ahead of time or not scheduling anything until later afternoon of an overnight. I use the day (or few hours) to right myself - if you can get an early check in at hotel (call ahead, if you have status at a hotel, unless they are sold out can usually get them to do it) you can grab an hour two nap, hold you over so you can go to sleep at normal EU/UK time.

I can't sleep on planes at all, have tried most everything - was told yesterday that there is some magnesium supplement thing called Calm that a friend of mine uses (in powder or gummy form), and he goes back and forth to the UK 20+ times a year, he says it helps him actually fall asleep on the plane. Never tried it, just passing it along.

For people who do the transatlantic thing often, how do you recover from the overnight to Europe? I got about two hours of sleep on the flight, and the rest of my week was shot. I was tired and sick until Saturday. Sleeping upright is a pain and the neck pillows just feel uncomfortable. There has to be a better way than paying business class.

my wife and I go to Europe about once or twice a year. I usually try to drink a few glasses of wine, then do my best to get whatever sleep I can. The next day I have learned to muddle through, usually with a lot of walking or (depending on the trip) whatever active experiences planned. Then stay up until the new normal time before sleep. The next day i am usually OK.

having said all of this...i have vowed that i will not be back in the cattle class again during one of these trips. The extra scratch to get into business class is worth it.

Worst case situation is when you don't get much sleep on the plane, make it through day 1 on the ground, then wind up at an inn that doesn't have air conditioning during one of those annual historic European heatwaves, thus making it impossible for an American to sleep.

I don't usually sleep very well on the UK flight. But I always prefer to book the flights that land early morning. Then I stay up all day, usually without doing any work, have a couple of beers, then go to sleep at normal UK time. That usually fixes things immediately.

Booked a slightly different flight time this most recent transatlantic and it totally screwed me up for days.

that guy needs to be on the no-fly list.

Yes, the fact that the internet is divided on that issue is concerning. I guess we don't know the full story - maybe he asked her nicely to un-recline and she refused - but I doubt it, given his actions.

Yes, the fact that the internet is divided on that issue is concerning. I guess we don't know the full story - maybe he asked her nicely to un-recline and she refused - but I doubt it, given his actions.

there's no excuse. sorry, this time you're in the back row, it happens. be an adult.

Yeah I’m firmly anti-recline but this dude sucks

there's no excuse. sorry, this time you're in the back row, it happens. be an adult.

this is correct. the seats recline, so she has every right to recline. she paid for the seat...it is up to her to decide.

be a fucking adult

again, airlines love depriving you of things or charging you for them, and since the recline button is there you can use it

If that guy asked the woman to un-recline before he started up with his antics and she refused, then they’re both a couple of immature little children.

I am definitely anti-recline myself, but the woman has every right to do it. Rude though that may be.

i mean, she's clearly not in his lap or anything. he's a damn child.

Just make the left side of the plane reclining seats and the right side non-reclining and let people choose. BOOM, utopia.

If that guy asked the woman to un-recline before he started up with his antics and she refused, then they’re both a couple of immature little children.

I am definitely anti-recline myself, but the woman has every right to do it. Rude though that may be.

Reclining is rude?

Charge $5 to recline your seat. Charge $10 to the guy behind you to unrecline your seat. $15 to you to re-recline it, and so on. Eventually someone will give in.

Reclining is rude?

Reclining your seat on an airplane is prioritizing yourself and not giving a shit about the other person's comfort. Its selfish. I'm anti recline because I think its polite. I have long legs and it sucks. However, it's there and "legal" so to speak so she had the right to do it.

Having said that the guys behavior is clearly as bad or much worse (as others noted we don't know how it began and was he retaliating to some rudeness on her part). I was disapointed because I would not call that punching. I was expecting haymakers or something. Maybe a little speed bag.

Back