• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

On An Airplane Next To A Fat Guy

When I was a child and traveling, if someone complained to my parents I would have gotten one warning and then had my ass beat. Times have changed and many parents now are more indulgent. Most parents can't help it if their child decides to lose it in public but acts like kicking the chair in front of you go beyond any generational gaps. There is nothing wrong with asking a parent to ask his child not to kick the seat.

Random post that is completely off topic of the original thread although strangely on topic with what this thread has become...

I went to a funeral recently. The sister and brother of the deceased each have a young child (under 16 months) and they wanted the babies to be there for the service. They got a bit fussy at times, and the noise travelled in the church, but the only time one of them got into a good cry she was taken out by her aunt to settle down.

Anyway, the couple next to my friends and I spent half the time complaining about how the babies shouldn't be there because of the noise. I feel terrible that your funeral experience was ruined, random couple.

When I was a child and traveling, if someone complained to my parents I would have gotten one warning and then had my ass beat. Times have changed and many parents now are more indulgent. Most parents can't help it if their child decides to lose it in public but acts like kicking the chair in front of you go beyond any generational gaps. There is nothing wrong with asking a parent to ask his child not to kick the seat.

I think the discussion at hand is with regard to kids who are too young to understand when you tell them to stop kicking something.

Yeah, try beating your child's ass on a plane now. I don't think people would be cheering.

Wait... you're not supposed to ask a parent to keep their kid from kicking your seat on a plane? Is this a joke?

Best I can think of right off hand is fart spray. That will clear out the seats behind you. You have to practice with it before hand and build up a tolerance to the smell of pure ass.

We're talking about little babies and kids here ... absolutely no need for fart spray when there is a decent chance you'll have a legitimate sack of human shit at your disposal, and an already-semi-built-up tolerance.

I think the discussion at hand is with regard to kids who are too young to understand when you tell them to stop kicking something.

Right, I think that's where the disconnect is.

Baby/small child without the ability to understand what they are doing gets a lot of sympathy and I have no problems with them. Had a crying baby on a 9 hour overnight flight overseas and I didn't say a word and felt bad for the parent. Took a shitload of tylenol PM and tried to sleep.

Younger child with the ability to comprehend what they are doing and the parents do nothing, absurd. As I said before, this can be applied to many public settings.

Thought better of getting into this here, but I will say that The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that kids ride in child safety seats on airplanes, based on studies which show preventable deaths and injuries have occurred in lap children and the FAA does as well. And there is evidence (maybe anecdotal) that it actually can protect your child in a plane crash.

No babies have ever died as a result of not being in a car seat during a plane crash when not on the plane.

Therefore safest alternative is to not have them on the plane. If you are ok with taking the risk of putting your small child on a 20 ton death machine, seat belts should be the least of your worries.

We're talking about little babies and kids here ... absolutely no need for fart spray when there is a decent chance you'll have a legitimate sack of human shit at your disposal, and an already-semi-built-up tolerance.

You can use that toward your advantage. Everyone else in the area will blame the smell on the kid and be pissed at the parent.

No babies have ever died as a result of not being in a car seat during a plane crash when not on the plane.

Therefore safest alternative is to not have them on the plane. If you are ok with taking the risk of putting your small child on a 20 ton death machine, seat belts should be the least of your worries.

[SARCASM FONT]No babies have ever died as a result of not being in a car seat during a car crash when not in a car.

Therefore safest alternative is to not have them in the car. If you are ok with taking the risk of putting your small child in a 1-2 ton death machine, seat belts should be the least of your worries.[/SARCASM FONT]

[SARCASM FONT]No babies have ever died as a result of not being in a car seat during a car crash when not in a car.

Therefore safest alternative is to not have them in the car. If you are ok with taking the risk of putting your small child in a 1-2 ton death machine, seat belts should be the least of your worries.[/SARCASM FONT]

My kids favorite thing to do is ride in a taxi so he doesn't have to sit in the carseat. He climbs back and forth across the seat, plays with the touch screen tvs, waves at the people next to us in traffic - its like nirvana for a 2 year old.

"lbE takes a flight: PART II" coming to The Pit in less than 12 hours!

I'm flying on Friday. Taking the 5:20 AM flight out Gainesville through Charlotte to Richmond. Should be very tiny planes on both legs. I'm hoping to get one of the planes where one side only has one seat and getting the one seat.

It occurs to me that most people probably do not like to fly next to me.

I'm flying on Friday. Taking the 5:20 AM flight out Gainesville through Charlotte to Richmond. Should be very tiny planes on both legs. I'm hoping to get one of the planes where one side only has one seat and getting the one seat.

It occurs to me that most people probably do not like to fly next to me.

those are the best.

though once I was traveling with a giant backpack of school things and they asked me to move it to the other side of the plane, for balance. weirded me out that like a 30 lb bag would potentially have any balancing effect.

There should be a $500 surcharge for children under 10 on flights. If people have to pay for pets (who are FAR less disturbing on average) then the same for kids.

There should be a $500 surcharge for children under 10 on flights. If people have to pay for pets (who are FAR less disturbing on average) then the same for kids.

Hey be careful you might get negrep bombed* by the sensitive mommies and daddies on this thread!

*It's probably already too late

I hope this family doesn't read this board and the mockery you have made of the life lost. Shame on you for being ironic/funny.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1249796/Baby-killed-Accrington-car-crash-pensioner-loses-control.html

Back