• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

On An Airplane Next To A Fat Guy

i mean, if you're under 25, fine, wear sweatpants. Over 25ish and not at a gym? you look like a loser.

thats the thing though. who thinks i look a loser? you? (not you specifically just anyone walking around judging people) oh well. maybe i just dont care if i "look like a loser" but i relaly don't care what people i dont know think of me. i am professional when i need to be and i know when certain things are inappropriate to wear, but if i need to run to the grocery store and pick up a few things, sweatpants 98% of the time

I have some sweatpants that don't leave the house - like I would be skeptical walking to the mailbox wearing them. But I have a couple pairs of more yoga-style "sweats" that are much better looking than elastic-ankle drawstring sweats. I'll definitely wear those on an airplane.

I wear a blazer minimum when I fly. Look the part be the part motherfucker.

I have some sweatpants that don't leave the house - like I would be skeptical walking to the mailbox wearing them. But I have a couple pairs of more yoga-style "sweats" that are much better looking than elastic-ankle drawstring sweats. I'll definitely wear those on an airplane.

I strongly endorse yoga pants on an airplane, or really anywhere. Yoga pants are a fantastic invention.

Look uncomfortable, be uncomfortable? I don't wear sweatpants, but I certainly don't dress up for non business travel in coach.

This killed me for some reason. However, there is some truth to it, especially if you're single. I don't want to walk on a plane looking like a bum if there is a chance I might have a lovely seat mate.

In actuality I really like having all of those pockets and being able to take the blazer off for security and not mess with all of that.

My mom never let me get on a plane looking like crap. I always had to wear a collared shirt and pants. To this day, I would feel very awkward flying in sweatpants.

Is there something special about airplanes that requires dressing "up," to whatever one's definition of that may be?

Is there something special about airplanes that requires dressing "up," to whatever one's definition of that may be?

just history and lame tradition from the days when only rich white people could afford to fly

The only reason I've dressed up is because I'm either traveling with someone I'm doing business with (or will be met at the airport by someone similar) or because I'm hoping to snag a 1st class upgrade.

Yeah, I think I judge more the people that are super dressed up to fly than those that are dressed down (not business suits since those are likely traveling for work, but more the hoochie girls that are wearing clubbing type attire and/or super tall heels or tight clothing).

I hate being uncomfortable when I travel, whether it's by car or airplane, so I typically wear sneakers or flats or flip flops, plus jeans and a comfortable top. I don't generally wear sweats, but I can't fault those that do.

I actually read an article a few weeks ago where the author had done some research and found that if you dressed nicer, then you were more likely to get an upgrade (regardless of your miles status).

tumblr_lhii05RboK1qfeqsqo1_500.jpg

"For real! It's 85 fucking degress out here and you trying to be like Pat Riley!"

I guess it's the routes I travel but I've certainly noticed that the wealthiest people never look it. I do travel to the Keys and Caribbean a lot so perhaps you just dress for the climate. Plus, I do whatever I can to avoid business travel. If I'm flying, it's for vacation or personal.

I actually read an article a few weeks ago where the author had done some research and found that if you dressed nicer, then you were more likely to get an upgrade (regardless of your miles status).

I used to get upgrades almost every time I flew & I was typically dressed in a golf shirt and jeans with my hair in a ponytail. I think flying by myself helped too. Of course now airlines overbook flights as a general rule & there are much fewer opportunities to upgrade as a result.

I used to get upgrades almost every time I flew & I was typically dressed in a golf shirt and jeans with my hair in a ponytail. I think flying by myself helped too. Of course now airlines overbook flights as a general rule & there are much fewer opportunities to upgrade as a result.

i don't understand the whole upgrade thing. like you get a free upgrade to the next class? or just a deal on the upgrade? is it only if you have/deal with frequent flyer shit?

the only time i ever got an upgrade was on a transatlantic flight we asked about bumping to 1st and they sold us the upgrade for cheap

This killed me for some reason. However, there is some truth to it, especially if you're single. I don't want to walk on a plane looking like a bum if there is a chance I might have a lovely seat mate.

i have never once been seated next to a hot chick on an airplane.

i don't understand the whole upgrade thing. like you get a free upgrade to the next class? or just a deal on the upgrade? is it only if you have/deal with frequent flyer shit?

When the rules were less strict, I flew standby a lot because I had family who worked for Piedmont and US Air. I almost always got bumped, without pay, into First Class to make room for additional stand-by guests due to the ranking of my family members in the employee system. On occasion I was offered the bump for like $10 (which more than covered the drinks). :thumbsup:

the only time i ever got an upgrade was on a transatlantic flight we asked about bumping to 1st and they sold us the upgrade for cheap

When the rules were less strict, I flew standby a lot because I had family who worked for Piedmont and US Air. I almost always got bumped, without pay, into First Class to make room for additional stand-by guests due to the ranking of my family members in the employee system. On occasion I was offered the bump for like $10 (which more than covered the drinks). :thumbsup:

I would often get moved up to First Class at no charge b/c there was a single empty seat up there & there were people in coach wanting to sit together & moving me allowed that to happen.

Back