• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

On An Airplane Next To A Fat Guy

just checked in for my flights tonight, and on the long leg (portland to newark), there is...an EMPTY SEAT beside me! best! news! ever!

fingers crossed for you that it remains empty. :) safe travels!

can't I just dream? it's a middle seat and there were others empty as well (aisles, windows) so hopefully given the choice, people will leave that one alone.
:umkc:

i didn't, i went window. the empty seat beside me is middle... which hopefully lends to it NOT being picked by someone.

figured out that the best way to get anyone to avoid sitting next to you is to bring a baby on the plane

figured out that the best way to get anyone to avoid sitting next to you is to bring a baby on the plane

Doesn't always work. I told a story awhile back about a woman who sat in front of my son on a not full Southwest flight then complained he was kicking her seat.

Doesn't always work. I told a story awhile back about a woman who sat in front of my son on a not full Southwest flight then complained he was kicking her seat.

I was mostly joking, I haven't been in the situation of trying to get someone to not sit next to me (except for Matt and the baby doesn't deter him-even if I make it clear I am going to nurse or something that would send everybody else running for another seat ;))

I would have had a hard time not telling that woman where she could sit if her current seat was giving her such trouble

This also reminds me of the time I was flying back to BWI on Southwest and it appeared the flight would be overbooked. I was the first volunteer and had I been needed would have gotten the cost of my ticket + $300 on a southwest voucher. The last person checked in for the flight but couldn't get through security on time so I wasn't needed and didn't get anything.

IMO outside of first class flying and maybe Jet Blue, continental is the best for coach. There are usually head rests build into the seats and other little things you will appreciate.

I would have had a hard time not telling that woman where she could sit if her current seat was giving her such trouble

Was your son kicking the back of her seat? If so, why was she wrong to say something about it?

Was your son kicking the back of her seat? If so, why was she wrong to say something about it?

Because the flight was not full and southwest is open seating. I get it. She put herself in that position. Any idiot knows small kids kick seats.

Exactly, bojangles. Not only that, but she chose to complain instead of just moving to the open middle seat right beside her.

How about that Delta in-flght trivia? They ask the most ridiculous questions half the time. There's a method to answering them though through process of elimination.

Exactly, bojangles. Not only that, but she chose to complain instead of just moving to the open middle seat right beside her.

Why didn't you switch with your kid? That seems just as easy as making a woman move to a middle seat, because a child is kicking the back of her seat and the parent seems to care less.

Never flown Southwest, but I can understand why she wouldn't want to sit in a middle seat. Assuming she asked politely, I don't see anything wrong with what she did. If she was a bitch to you, I can understand taking a "screw you; you move" stance.

I was flying out of Atlanta during the rainstorm after Thanksgiving and they loaded the plane on time and everyone is happy. Then we start taxiing and the pilot says we're going to have to wait to take off for a while, we're number 25 or something to take off. Pretty ridiculous since I had to pee.

Apparently so did about 10 other dudes considering how fast everyone got up after the seatbelt sign got turned off. I was doing my gotta go dance in public that day. Pretty harrowing experience.

Back