• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

On An Airplane Next To A Fat Guy

CLTs Departures/Arrivals Terminal is a hot mess right now; I don't know if it's always been that way and I don't remember or it's just because of the new construction. Avoiding that alone is reason enough to fly out of GSO over CLT (I realize most flyers here are probably parking, but I hate having to pick my wife up at that terminal and/or having to get picked up by family where we usually stash our car for free). Super short terminal + Taxi Stand right in the middle sharing same lanes as cars (and shuttles at end) + Southern Drivers == a bad time.

They also have a lot of long term parking lots closed with horrible signage. We nearly missed a flight because two lots were inexplicably closed and we had to scramble to find another. The arrivals area is a shit show. There’s no police or anyone directing traffic so you have cabs and Uber’s stopping in the middle of lanes outside of baggage claim:

It was the only direct flight from Roanoke to the Orlando area, that's the only reason we took it. The Sanford airport seems kind of like a dead mall that happens to have an airport and only one airline. The other flights out the morning we flew back were going to places like Little Rock, AR, or Paducah, KY which struck me as odd for some reason.

More odd than a flight to Roanoke ?

GSO is the shit. Easy departure procedures and flights are rarely late, especially early morning ones. I go to Dallas and DC for family/work, occasionally Chicago, so by happenstance those direct flights beat the hell out of driving to Charlotte or Raleigh for another non stop. Security takes 5-10 minutes. People actually care about food options in airports? I’ve always thought of them as a means to an end. 923 is right; at least GSO has a Starbucks now.

GSO is the shit. Easy departure procedures and flights are rarely late, especially early morning ones. I go to Dallas and DC for family/work, occasionally Chicago, so by happenstance those direct flights beat the hell out of driving to Charlotte or Raleigh for another non stop. Security takes 5-10 minutes. People actually care about food options in airports? I’ve always thought of them as a means to an end. 923 is right; at least GSO has a Starbucks now.

I don’t unless I have a layover longer than an hour. It’s a good way to kill time but you’re not going in expecting anything good which I why I do McDonald’s or Popeye’s if they’re available.

Touché. Roanoke is serviced by American, Delta and United though. It was odd that flights from Sanford seemed to only go to podunk places, no larger airports. I guess Allegiant found their niche though.

Touché. Roanoke is serviced by American, Delta and United though. It was odd that flights from Sanford seemed to only go to podunk places, no larger airports. I guess Allegiant found their niche though.

It’s not really odd. Sanford Airport is about 35 min from Orlando Airport. If you’re from podunk and you want to go north of Orlando or want to go to Orlando or Disney World or Daytona Beach without having to connect at a big airport, take Allegiant to Sanford. The St. Pete Airport works the same way compared to Tampa and Clearwater.

Allegiant flies Concord to Sanford too. We looked at it for our last trip to Disney. It wound up making no sense for us, especially since we were staying on property. Flights to Orlando from Charlotte are pretty cheap already.

yeah that's a big disadvantage for Sanford is no Magical Express if staying at Disney

Doofus picked us up in Charlotte a few weeks ago at 1130 pm and it literally took him half an hour to get through the arrival line to get us.

Pro CLT Tip: Have your ride pick you up at Departures, which is directly upstairs from Arrivals.

Anyone flown Allegiant Air before? I'm assuming its standard Frontier-type airline, but I booked a flight into Asheville on it, had legitimately never heard of the airline before.

10 AM flight out of Newark was delayed until 8:30 PM - the flight was delayed 1 hour every hour while they were trying to fix the plane until they decided to just fly a plane back from Cincinnati to fly us out - which meant we didn't have any real ability to change our flight schedule. We were each given 2 $8 food vouchers for our wait time (only valid on food at a restaurant, drinks/snacks not included) and given $50 per person as a credit towards a next flight on Allegiant.

Anyone want a $50 Allegiant credit?

Doofus picked us up in Charlotte a few weeks ago at 1130 pm and it literally took him half an hour to get through the arrival line to get us.

Was this 7/22? I had to pick up my fiance late than evening, and a ton of storms had delayed every flight into CLT, so it was an absolute zoo. Fortunately, I am also aware of Biff's pro tip, and waited 5 min instead of 30.

10 AM flight out of Newark was delayed until 8:30 PM - the flight was delayed 1 hour every hour while they were trying to fix the plane until they decided to just fly a plane back from Cincinnati to fly us out - which meant we didn't have any real ability to change our flight schedule. We were each given 2 $8 food vouchers for our wait time (only valid on food at a restaurant, drinks/snacks not included) and given $50 per person as a credit towards a next flight on Allegiant.

Yes. I’m forced to fly that airline from time to time.

I flew in the corporate helicopter last week for the first time and I gotta figure out how to do that more often. It was really cool since we were flying so low (2200-2500 ft) so the views were great. About to get on a flight that is guaranteed to be a million times more disappointing, especially because I have an hour drive at midnight when I land.

MVP CLT tip - meet your pickup on level 4 of the rental car garage and avoid all traffic. First 30 min is free.

Very similar thing happened to me last weekend coming home from Nashville to RDU. 10am flight delayed until 6pm, finally got cancelled. Option was to wait on the 10pm flight. I doubted that flight would actually happen as it was already delayed 4 hours. Had to be home for the wife to go to work the next day so got a rental car and got home around 4am. That shit suckeddd

10pm flight ended up getting cancelled and we wouldn’t have been able to get home until the next afternoon so I guess I made the right choice. This was with Delta, not my normal experience with them.

Back