• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

On An Airplane Next To A Fat Guy

No meals.

They have snacks (bags of chips, crackers, etc.) but after talking to the attendant, they don't have confidence there's enough for everyone.

They said they'd hand out complimentary bars. They gave us those biscoff cookies.

Wow. Dangerously close to a cannibalism incident.

I don't know if "tweet about it" was said in jest, but I was stuck on the tarmac after landing once for something like 1/2 hour. I made a tweet about that for my 12 followers (10 are bots) then found a nice credit in my airline account the next day. File that away under "cool story bro".

I don't know if "tweet about it" was said in jest, but I was stuck on the tarmac after landing once for something like 1/2 hour. I made a tweet about that for my 12 followers (10 are bots) then found a nice credit in my airline account the next day. File that away under "cool story bro".

no it was a real suggestion; maybe he gets something similar

Did that before posting here. They apologized, gave an updated time, which again proved to be incorrect.

Finally took off about 15 minutes ago and now up in the air. Obviously nothing can be done for this current flight but what are my possible/expected compensation scenarios?

Its United, so my guess is you will get a $50 voucher emailed to you within the next few days because of your issues. Not much else can be done on domestic flights. Internationally, a 5 hour delay would have gotten your ticket price refunded plus whatever it would have cost to book another ticket and/or a hotel stay.

I was trying to book a reward ticket on US Airways a while back and there was a glitch on their site that wouldn't let it happen -- in effect one screen would show how many miles the flight was and I had enough but when going to the next screen the price in miles doubled and I didn't. I called and got sorry nothing we can do, took screenshots and emailed them and got the same. I tweeted the screenshots at them and within an hour got a call that my ticket had been confirmed. They don't like public negativity.

Did that before posting here. They apologized, gave an updated time, which again proved to be incorrect.

Finally took off about 15 minutes ago and now up in the air. Obviously nothing can be done for this current flight but what are my possible/expected compensation scenarios?

Your credit card may have a trip delay benefit on top of whatever United gives you. I know for the CSR it kicks in if the delay is 6 hours or longer.

The miracle of flight invented by jeebus is taking you thousand of miles across the planet in just a few hours and you are mad about cookies?!

If you don't want to look publicly whiny I've had good luck with a twitter DM. I had American flights delayed for mechanical issues 2 hours each way to/from Denver. Sent a message asking for compensation and they sent me a $600 credit. I have 0 status with them too.

Always tweet about it. Anytime I have issues with flights or rentals it gets resolved more quickly when social media gets involved. That includes compliments. Our flight out of GSO got delayed so we missed our connection at LaGuardia. The Delta help desk lady was super awesome. I shouted her out and lo and behold we got upgraded to first class for our flight from Montreal to Calgary without notice.

So I need to get on Twitter before taking a flight?

Survived. Total time on plane ended up being around 8 hours.

They kept pushing for people to go online and get their $50 travel voucher. No thanks. Using the link they sent me via twitter to file for additional compensation. The Chase Sapphire Reserve recommendations are good but don't think they provide anything for this type of situation.

A couple years ago, our plane was delayed in Vegas for around 2 hours after a bachelor party, because the pilots "had to get their required 8 hours of sleep", which I took to mean that they went on a bender and had to bring in new pilots. Missed my connection in DC, and had to wait 3+ hours for the next one. Tweeted at United, and just got a "We're Sorry!" type response. I figured it was due to me only having like 2 tweets ever, and probably 14 followers.

A couple years ago, our plane was delayed in Vegas for around 2 hours after a bachelor party, because the pilots "had to get their required 8 hours of sleep", which I took to mean that they went on a bender and had to bring in new pilots. Missed my connection in DC, and had to wait 3+ hours for the next one. Tweeted at United, and just got a "We're Sorry!" type response. I figured it was due to me only having like 2 tweets ever, and probably 14 followers.

I had a four hour delay at Dulles. The worst part about it is when they do the rolling delays, just pushing the departure time back 45 minutes every 45 minutes. We were waiting for the United pilots and I could see them standing in line to get a burrito as we waited to board a really late flight. Poor optics.

I ran into that situation (plus, more!) this summer.

Was on a flight from CLT to Cali, and after an hour in the air, we're notified of a landing gear problem that requires us to go back to Charlotte. But first we have to fly in circles for two hours to burn enough gas to land.

When we finally land back in CLT, it's late (after midnight), but they've secured another plane with a new crew to take us. So everyone deplanes and reboards...where we sit on this new plane for another hour waiting for the crew. Finally, we're notified that the plane can't leave because the new crew hadn't gotten their requisite sleep.

The remedy to this whole situation was a third plane slated to leave promptly at 8am. It wasn't worth it for us to leave and get a hotel on the Airline's dime, so we ended up 'sleeping' on the cold terminal floor. Oh yeah, we did all of this with our 3 year old in tow.

In hindsight, I should've lit into American on Twitter! It's just astounding the lack of communication and respect for airline customers.

Back