• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

On An Airplane Next To A Fat Guy

This is how I am, I can check my bags free and have them come out first, but I still would never do it. I've gone on 14 day vacations, and carried on.

I don't want to be in a situation where the airlines lose my luggage. If I am going on vacation it is usually always international and I can hardly ever take direct flights. No way I am putting my trust in the airlines not to lose my stuff. It is also nice to just walk off the plane and just leave.

I'm the same way. Checking luggage is admittedly an incentive to do a direct flight, but given the choice, I'd not check and connect rather than check and fly direct. I also don't have a kid, so that probably helps.

pretty classic wake forest to call $100 not that much money

sweet thing about chicago is that I can't remember the last time I connected on a domestic flight

$100 really isn’t that much when you’re already committed to flying.

I pack way too much to not check a bag if I'm traveling for more than a weekend. I don't use half of the stuff in it, but can't stand to be unprepared.

I’ve gotten into the habit of checking bags because I get tired of dealing with women and old men who put their personal items in the overhead compartment. That should be grounds for having your ticket voided.

taking the kids to Italy for a week and a half this summer; every member of the family will carry on their bag. not checking anything.

taking the kids to Italy for a week and a half this summer; every member of the family will carry on their bag. not checking anything.

That's how we did it. Only difficulty was at the Rome train station where we were renting a car.

$100 really isn’t that much when you’re already committed to flying.

I know you can do the math but it is a significant percentage of a $300 or $400 flight. Plus you double that if flying as a couple, or even worse with spouse and kids. We just had to make a decision to take a flight at a crappy time because it saved us a little over $100 per ticket - but there are 4 of us so now you are talking about well over $400...

And I never check bags. But when I requested that my wife and daughters do the same on an overseas trip we have coming up they looked at me like I had three heads. Oh well.

The ultimate goal is to make it to captain of an international route on a large airline. You get paid the most, you work about twice a month so about 6-8 days, and you get to go to cool places. My dad knew a guy that lived in France, would non-rev from France to JFK, do his trip from JFK, then go back to France.

And I never check bags. But when I requested that my wife and daughters do the same on an overseas trip we have coming up they looked at me like I had three heads. Oh well.

I’ve been through that with my wife and daughter as well. Not worth the fight. Neither my wife or daughter will ever, ever get on an international flight with just a carry on.

I know you can do the math but it is a significant percentage of a $300 or $400 flight. Plus you double that if flying as a couple, or even worse with spouse and kids. We just had to make a decision to take a flight at a crappy time because it saved us a little over $100 per ticket - but there are 4 of us so now you are talking about well over $400...

Yeah, I just mean as a single person. Everything changes if you’re factoring in kids.

The ultimate goal is to make it to captain of an international route on a large airline. You get paid the most, you work about twice a month so about 6-8 days, and you get to go to cool places. My dad knew a guy that lived in France, would non-rev from France to JFK, do his trip from JFK, then go back to France.

I imagine you gotta put in like 30+ years to get to that point.

Each person gets two free checked bags on overseas flights. What's the problem?

And free, unlimited drinks.

I think my breaking point would be around $200 or $250 for connecting vs direct, although there are a lot of times I'll just click "nonstop only" and not even consider connecting.

The cross country, non-stop flights I've done on Virgin have been the same price and cheaper than connecting flights.

Back