• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

On An Airplane Next To A Fat Guy

You know you’re old when you start worrying about a five hour flight a month in advance.

I don't really care about reclining one way or the other. It's not great if the person in front of me reclines, and I don't do it myself, but I just wonder what those three inches of recline really offers in terms of comfort. It seems like it would just piss me off that the seat doesn't recline more.

I felt this way until a flight last week to ATL. The flight was maybe 60% empty, no one in my row, the seat in front of me, or the row behind me. Reclining guilt-free alone in an exit row with extra legroom was absolutely sublime, those extra three inches really are a vast improvement

I felt this way until a flight last week to ATL. The flight was maybe 60% empty, no one in my row, the seat in front of me, or the row behind me. Reclining guilt-free alone in an exit row with extra legroom was absolutely sublime, those extra three inches really are a vast improvement

I flew an AeroMexico flight from Guadalajara to SFO earlier this year that maybe had 20 people on it. Having an exit row to myself for a 4 hour flight with no one behind me was glorious. oddly only one other person sat in one of the three other exit rows.

I don't really care about reclining one way or the other. It's not great if the person in front of me reclines, and I don't do it myself, but I just wonder what those three inches of recline really offers in terms of comfort. It seems like it would just piss me off that the seat doesn't recline more.

if you're short/have a short torso, a lot of the seats are designed with a curvature to the back that makes you sit unnaturally forward/hunched. Reclining an inch or two makes all the difference in the world, and I feel zero % bad about doing it.

I order a beer and then the fumble happens...I jumped out of my seat and screamed "THAT'S OURS!" Unfortunately for me, the woman next to me, and the dude next to her, her full glass of wine was within arm's length of my celebration. Airborne, said wine spilled all over her and her iPad, landed on the guy at the end and covered him in Chardonnay.

Sports fans are the worst.

United has DirecTV on their flights and they claim to have over 100 channels. Any idea if one of those is ACC Network? If not, does the inflight WiFi allow streaming ESPN?

Last edited:
This is 100% correct. Expecting strangers to selflessly sacrifice their comfort to benefit your own is bizarre to me. If a reclined regular coach seat is too uncomfortable to bear sitting behind, then unfortunately you've got to spring for a more expensive seat. Your beef should be with the airlines.

No, unless the more space options are sold out (they almost never are at time of booking) then really you just have yourself to blame for being a cheapass.

Everyone says they want more space, but time and time again they just go for the cheapest option.

United has DirecTV on their flights and they claim to have over 100 channels. Any idea if one of those is ACC Network? If not, does the inflight WiFi allow streaming ESPN?

Just checked. No ACCN. And streaming would be iffy - it can be done, but you get a ton of buffering.

Thanks. That’s better than nothing. I’ll probably just flip back and forth between games and have our game on the tablet.

Last edited:
United's wifi is so inconsistent. At least 25% of the time it doesn't work at all, and 50% of the time it's intermittent and takes 3 hours to watch a 2 hour movie.

Yeah, the only reason I'm using wifi on a plane is because I absolutely have to work or be in touch with someone during a flight (I don't), not for streaming a movie or live TV. If I miss a game, I miss it.

Thanks. That’s better than nothing. I’ll probably just flip back and forth between games and have our game on the tablet.

If you can find someone streaming audio, that might be a better option. The ACC Network over United's wifi isn't going to work well or at all.

I'm a huge fan of the whole "download the airline's app and then watch free shit" thing on the non-clown shoes airlines. I downloaded every airline app a while back and dumped them into a folder on my iPad. Had a four hour flight last weekend that flew by because I banged out Avengers Endgame through the Southwest app. I guess it helped that the movie was like 3.5 hours long.

I'm a huge fan of the whole "download the airline's app and then watch free shit" thing on the non-clown shoes airlines. I downloaded every airline app a while back and dumped them into a folder on my iPad. Had a four hour flight last weekend that flew by because I banged out Avengers Endgame through the Southwest app. I guess it helped that the movie was like 3.5 hours long.

yeah but now Delta has all your dick pics

I just download the movie before I leave. I make better decisions on what I'm going to watch and don't have to worry about the WiFi being spotty. I don't mind them having my dick pics.

I’ve never bought WiFi on a flight for most of the reasons above. I used to sleep like a baby on flights but it’s hard to do that now. In flight TV is solid even Southwest which doesn’t have it on the headrest. Keeping up with a game is the only reason I’d consider it.

This United instructions video featuring Spider-Man is so dumb and it’s stopping me from actually watching Spider-Man: Homecoming on TV right now.

Back