• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

On An Airplane Next To A Fat Guy

why would it matter if you were 6' and 200 lbs or 5'1 and 200 lbs

you then the Rock deserves a discount because he's jacked?

I assume you're asking me because my post immediately preceded yours. My point was that only weight should be a factor. I'm not sure how I would reword my concluding sentence above to clarify that.

Have never had the live TV option on American (but maybe I've just missed that?) - have utilized their selection of movies/shows. I was referring specifically to the ability to stream whatever I want via the internet, not a pre-loaded server.

No one offers that. It's not viable to offer live streaming of Netflix, etc via the connection planes utilize. They are working on improving it, but piping 100+ streaming HD connections over a long distance wireless link up to the internet is a difficult task.

No one offers that. It's not viable to offer live streaming of Netflix, etc via the connection planes utilize. They are working on improving it, but piping 100+ streaming HD connections over a long distance wireless link up to the internet is a difficult task.

JetBlue has some sort of partnership with Amazon and you can stream video on Prime seamlessly. You can stream others but it's too choppy.

Because one is closer to what you should weigh.

I assume you're asking me because my post immediately preceded yours. My point was that only weight should be a factor. I'm not sure how I would reword my concluding sentence above to clarify that.

the problem with the height metric inclusion means it's no longer strictly about weight, now it's about body shape/image.

JetBlue has some sort of partnership with Amazon and you can stream video on Prime seamlessly. You can stream others but it's too choppy.

Yeah, that's one of the solutions I've read about...basically partnerships with content and internet providers to optimize a specific service over an otherwise limited connection. Didn't realize it had been implemented already by anyone. It's the anti-net neutrality solution.

It also relies on the fact that only a subset of the plane will have the necessary Amazon subscription to take advantage of it.

I don't think the weight of a passengar has nearly as much impact on margins as you all think. The vast majority of the cost structure is fixed: the pilots, the ground crew, the flight attendants, the plane depreciation / maintenace, and fuel for the empty plane. A 737 weighs 91k lbs empty (unclear if that's with or without fuel) and seats ~160 people depending on the configuration. Even if the average weight of a passengar is 200 lbs, the full plane would only add up to 30k lb of people. So, in other words, only 25% of the fuel would be used to actually transport people vs simply transporting the plane itself.

The determinant of profit per passengar is much more about what those passengars pay, hence why they have prioritized wifi over entertainment: business travelers will pay more for good wifi, leisure travelers will not pay more for entertainment.

No, not Netflix. It's video/TV streaming from an internal server on the plane via the WiFi connection. Your phone or laptop just replaces the screen on the seat and can access all of the music, movies, TV (and sometimes live TV) that the plane's server has available.

I've always gotten live TV. It's a decent selection of networks. It's enough to follow sports and news plus Disney Channel and a few other niche networks. I've watched a Panthers game and the CBS NCAA Round of 32 game in the last year.

Netflix and Amazon shouldn't be a huge priority if the cost will be high. Both allow you to download enough videos to get you through a long flight. Bring portable chargers and/or a laptop if you're really worried about running out of juice.

Yeah, at this point if you can’t entertain yourself with their movies/shows and your devices (including downloading pre-flight) you just aren’t trying enough.

I don't think the weight of a passengar has nearly as much impact on margins as you all think. The vast majority of the cost structure is fixed: the pilots, the ground crew, the flight attendants, the plane depreciation / maintenace, and fuel for the empty plane. A 737 weighs 91k lbs empty (unclear if that's with or without fuel) and seats ~160 people depending on the configuration. Even if the average weight of a passengar is 200 lbs, the full plane would only add up to 30k lb of people. So, in other words, only 25% of the fuel would be used to actually transport people vs simply transporting the plane itself.

The determinant of profit per passengar is much more about what those passengars pay, hence why they have prioritized wifi over entertainment: business travelers will pay more for good wifi, leisure travelers will not pay more for entertainment.

Pretty sure this assumes it’s a one to one ratio of weight to fuel usage where I’m pretty sure that at a certain point you are entering more an exponential increase in fuel to pounds as the aircraft requires running the engines harder to maintain lift. The weight is a huge factor as seen when you save millions a year simply by replacing flight maps with iPads because it reduce 35 pounds.

Pretty sure this assumes it’s a one to one ratio of weight to fuel usage where I’m pretty sure that at a certain point you are entering more an exponential increase in fuel to pounds as the aircraft requires running the engines harder to maintain lift. The weight is a huge factor as seen when you save millions a year simply by replacing flight maps with iPads because it reduce 35 pounds.

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20161020-should-obese-passengers-pay-more

50 lb more in passenger weight costs $3-5 more per flight for Boston to Denver on a 737. That’s a 1800 mile flight so, assuming a $0.15 / mile yield, that’s an average ticket price of $270. So we are talking 1-2% of the ticket price.

Because one is closer to what you should weigh.

That's fucking ridiculous. Now you're changing it from a fairness/balanced pay-for-weight system into something that just insults people.

I don't fly enough for any of this to matter to me, but if major airlines were to switch to the pay-for-weigh system, then they should also do like the link for Samoa Air said earlier and customize seating for larger folks as well. It makes no sense to punish people and charge them more if you are cramming them into the same size seats. I think way more people would be on board with something like that than just surcharging overweight people.

People would call out the BS of charging overweight people extra but charging toddlers the same as adults who aren’t overweight. Also the procedures and PR necessary to pull his off may not result in much savings.

that's why you charge on weight, period. if toddlers want to fly all day, every day, more power to 'em

that's why you charge on weight, period. if toddlers want to fly all day, every day, more power to 'em

That's cool if you want a "no fatties" policy to turn your favorite airline to turn into a day care.

Have never had the live TV option on American (but maybe I've just missed that?) - have utilized their selection of movies/shows. I was referring specifically to the ability to stream whatever I want via the internet, not a pre-loaded server.

I fly mostly Jet Blue and Virgin in the US.

As to the cart, the guy driving said hop in rather than giving me direction. Like seven people got on.

Back