• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

On An Airplane Next To A Fat Guy

About a week ago I am sitting in the aisle seat and the other seat in my row is unoccupied. The two seats in front of me are empty as well. I see two extremely large young women walking down the aisle. They are traveling together and appear to be sisters. One takes the seat in front of me. The other sits beside and on top of me. She immediately asks for the seat belt extender. Then she naps during the flight all the while gradually transferring more of her weight in my direction.

What really got me though was that the seat next to her sister stayed empty. In my opinion they should have made each other miserable instead.

About a week ago I am sitting in the aisle seat and the other seat in my row is unoccupied. The two seats in front of me are empty as well. I see two extremely large young women walking down the aisle. They are traveling together and appear to be sisters. One takes the seat in front of me. The other sits beside and on top of me. She immediately asks for the seat belt extender. Then she naps during the flight all the while gradually transferring more of her weight in my direction.

What really got me though was that the seat next to her sister stayed empty. In my opinion they should have made each other miserable instead.

Southwest?

it has been a while but flyertalk usually has good info on getting a status match challenge. plus a lot of irritating complaining

I'll be taking my first flights since pandemic next month. The first won't be with the common folk but will either be on the corporate jet or helicopter. But the week after that I'll be on commercial with the common folk and I'm hoping to see a fight break out because some mouth-breather can't keep their fucking mask on for the 75 minute flight to PWM.

Yo, lost my ID in the lake last weekend. Apparently it takes 4 to 6 weeks to get a new one in Texas, because fuck me.

My passport expired over Covid. Anyone have experience raw dogging travel with no ID, apparently TSA can interrogate you to verify your identity and let you through.

I have clear so that should get me through 90% of airports, but I have travel through Charlotte in two weeks that concerns me.

Even had to cancel a Vejas trip. Mega bummer.

I'll be taking my first flights since pandemic next month. The first won't be with the common folk but will either be on the corporate jet or helicopter. But the week after that I'll be on commercial with the common folk and I'm hoping to see a fight break out because some mouth-breather can't keep their fucking mask on for the 75 minute flight to PWM.

FLEX.

Yo, lost my ID in the lake last weekend. Apparently it takes 4 to 6 weeks to get a new one in Texas, because fuck me.

My passport expired over Covid. Anyone have experience raw dogging travel with no ID, apparently TSA can interrogate you to verify your identity and let you through.

I have clear so that should get me through 90% of airports, but I have travel through Charlotte in two weeks that concerns me.

A few years back (but definitely post-911) we had our car broken into and my wife's wallet with all her cards was stolen, a day or two before she was supposed to fly out for a friend's wedding. There was some process by which she was still able to get through security and fly, but I can't remember exactly what she did. I think there were alternative documents she had to bring. Not much help, I know, but there is/was a way.

I had a paper ID when I moved to GA and flew with that. No issue going through TSA in Atlanta but in Greensboro they gave me a full pat down at 530 AM.

Forgot Your ID?
In the event you arrive at the airport without valid identification, because it is lost or at home, you may still be allowed to fly. The TSA officer may ask you to complete an identity verification process which includes collecting information such as your name, current address, and other personal information to confirm your identity. If your identity is confirmed, you will be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint. You will be subject to additional screening, to include a patdown and screening of carry-on property.

You will not be allowed to enter the security checkpoint if your identity cannot be confirmed, you choose to not provide proper identification or you decline to cooperate with the identity verification process.

TSA recommends that you arrive at least two hours in advance of your flight time.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

how long expired is it? I think you can still use it like six months after it expires for certain functions (not for crossing international borders, I don't think) and may have been extended further due to Covid

Not a big deal but give yourself some extra time. When this happened to me they scanned me and took a pic and got on the phone with the MVA. Added 20 minutes or so to the process of getting through security.

how long expired is it? I think you can still use it like six months after it expires for certain functions (not for crossing international borders, I don't think) and may have been extended further due to Covid

Missed this part. Expired passports are actually valid id (for drinking) and should help immensely.

I sent in to renew my passport maybe 10-12 weeks ago…have verified they got everything but no new passport yet.

I think they’re running slow.

On the way back from New Orleans/Mardi Gras last year I lost my ID (because Mardi Gras). They did look through my shit extensively and I had some credit cards with my name which helped. But yeah they let me through. I’m also a white male so putting that privilege to good use.

Bump, now that travel is BACK, baby. I'm new to the extensive work travel game, and getting back into personal travel, so could use some help navigating the status world (never really have had any). I've gotten Delta status already this year based on work travel (better flight times/much better service than AA). Zero AA status, despite using it for almost all personal travel out of CLT, with 5 flights scheduled between now and just after New Years. Basically, I'm wondering if I should forego my Delta status and start working towards AA, to benefit from the status on personal flights.

Also curious if anyone's had any luck doing an AA "status challenge". Sucks they don't do the status match like Delta/United. But with 5 flights, including one to Europe, I think I'll accumulate enough MQMs/MQDs to qualify for platinum in a 90 day stretch at the end of the year.

Look into global entry status. You get pre check status as well and its only 15?? Bucks more. When I did it pre pandemic the wait for the in person interview appointment was 6 mos or more anywhere near me (nova). However, when you come back into the country you can ask at customs to do the interview in person there (if you've already filed all the paperwork and been notified you just need the in person interview). Added an extra 20 minutes getting through customs but I had a decent length layover so worked out well.

Look into global entry status. You get pre check status as well and its only 15?? Bucks more. When I did it pre pandemic the wait for the in person interview appointment was 6 mos or more anywhere near me (nova). However, when you come back into the country you can ask at customs to do the interview in person there (if you've already filed all the paperwork and been notified you just need the in person interview). Added an extra 20 minutes getting through customs but I had a decent length layover so worked out well.

Global Entry is so worth it. Got my work to pay for it since pretty much all my work travel at my last job was international.

Just booked my first ticket since I last flew January 2020. I have Delta Silver status and they're showing 27 open first class seats on the flight from ATL-San Diego, wonder if I have any chance of getting that upgrade. It's on a 767 and the seat map for the whole plane was wide open, including all Comfort+, so should prob at least get one of those. Just saw Delta is going to rollover status again for 2022 so guess I'll still be Silver. Will be doing a lot less traveling at this new job so it's nice to have status for another year.

global entry is great. also learned that i will be on the "fast track" traveling in Europe this fall, so assuming they let americans IN it will be great.

Back