• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Happy Appy wants to go bowling

Good move for App State

• Yes

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • No

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • Doofus/Numbers

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You really think people in California were on the edge of their seats to watch LOWF play GT? I mean.. maybe some of the really big college football fans like most of us here are, but even then they'd probably be more interested in seeing a 1AA school take down traditional power Michigan.

You really think people in California were on the edge of their seats to watch LOWF play GT? I mean.. maybe some of the really big college football fans like most of us here are, but even then they'd probably be more interested in seeing a 1AA school take down traditional power Michigan.

you guys arent reading my argument.

most random people didnt know the app michigan game was going on. more random people knew the wake gt game was going on. when app beat michigan at the last second, that game became important. the winner of the acc champ game was important no matter who won.

as for pooping on app, i am sorry you feel that way skins. i am just stating my opinion. i know plenty of app grads and they are all nice people but when they start talking about their football team they sound like carolina fans (and oddly enough most of them are carolina fans for "basketball only").

First of all...I am dizzy after reading that article. Talk about writing in circles.

Second, as an App grad I think this is a terrible idea. All you have to do is look at Marshall. I am not sure if their football program makes more money now in 1A (it probably does) but the atmosphere is not there any more. When I was at App they played in the SoCon. I went up to Marshall to watch us play them when they were #1 in the nation (we won BTW) and that was one of the best college football environments I have ever been in...and I have been to most big football schools in the SE. I saw Marshall play a game on ESPN this year and the stadium was half empty. That is because their games are meaningless now. Even if they have a very good season they are only going to go to some two bit bowl that no one will care about. As a fan I think it is better to stay in 1AA and compete for a National Championship every year.

The only way I think this is a good idea is if the BCS schools form their own supper division. If that happens I could see App moving up and being competitive.

Marshall's problem rests with the product on the field. After their jump, that stadium was rocking during the Pruett years. I was there for a game in Pennington's last season when they finished undefeated, and the atmosphere was unbelievable despite the fans knowing full well they were headed to Detroit.

Marshall's problem rests with the product on the field. After their jump, that stadium was rocking during the Pruett years. I was there for a game in Pennington's last season when they finished undefeated, and the atmosphere was unbelievable despite the fans knowing full well they were headed to Detroit.

The bolded part is the main problem IMO. No matter how good they do they head to Detroit (or whatever meaningless bowl they are affiliated with now).

Not even close, App-Michigan dwarfs Wake's ACC title.

I think the time has come for App to make the jump, provided they get a decent opportunity conference wise (read: C-USA). Honestly, what else is there for them to accomplish in the FCS? Everyone around here knows about their 3-peat as national champs and they've won at least a share of their league title for the last 6 years.

If they get a C-USA invite then I think it's worth it. Anything else wouldn't be worth the costs of moving up. Plus if App was FBS, Wake might actually play them again.

Yay! Here we go again. This new board should have been built with additional foundations such as no talking about schools that no one outside of North Carolina cares about. At least we are somewhat hidden so UNCC's mythical football team hasn't found us to gloat about their hypothetical wins.

But Boise was still able to thrive because there is not much around them. They could still be a relatively big fish. No way App could do that in the middle of ACC and SEC country.

App could continue to be a "big fish" by beating the local BCS-level competition. Boise State has regularly played and regularly beaten the Pac-10 schools in the Northwest. If App regularly played and regularly beat the ACC schools in North Carolina (arguably an easier task), I'm guessing the program would continue to generate signfiicant excitement and gain greater national relevance.

I don't really care what App State does, but if I were you I wouldn't rule out the possibility merely based on the Marshall experience.

App could continue to be a "big fish" by beating the local BCS-level competition. Boise State has regularly played and regularly beaten the Pac-10 schools in the Northwest. If App regularly played and regularly beat the ACC schools in North Carolina (arguably an easier task), I'm guessing the program would continue to generate signfiicant excitement and gain greater national relevance.

I don't really care what App State does, but if I were you I wouldn't rule out the possibility merely based on the Marshall experience.

I think that is easier said than done. App has a long way to go to be able to regularly beat 1A teams in NC. I think there are far more Marshalls than Boise States.

Not even close, App-Michigan dwarfs Wake's ACC title.

I think the time has come for App to make the jump, provided they get a decent opportunity conference wise (read: C-USA). Honestly, what else is there for them to accomplish in the FCS? Everyone around here knows about their 3-peat as national champs and they've won at least a share of their league title for the last 6 years.

If they get a C-USA invite then I think it's worth it. Anything else wouldn't be worth the costs of moving up. Plus if App was FBS, Wake might actually play them again.

I take it you went to App?:tard:

First - I have no connection App at all. Came to Wake from Texas, had barely heard of App until I got here.

But...there is zero doubt in my mind that more people in the U.S. remember App upsetting Michigan than remember Wake beating GT. I believe Wake's winning an ACC championship was much more significant/important in the long run, but a 1AA school beating a traditional powerhouse is definitely going to hang in people's minds longer, and that's okay.

It's a tough question to answer, though - do people know your name better if you win FCS championships or hang out in the middle of the pack in FBS? I think national TV exposure alone makes FBS more valuable, and I think App might actually have a chance to compete if they can work their way up the ranks and maybe get into a respectable conference.

I kind of hope they don't do it though - I could actually see them making the jump making recruiting slightly more difficult for Wake.

Id-find-someone-who-cares-because-I-dont.jpg

I think that is easier said than done. App has a long way to go to be able to regularly beat 1A teams in NC. I think there are far more Marshalls than Boise States.

I bet with 85 scholarships it will be much easier than with 63.

Back