• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

for what it is worth, grip size can affect the balls flight, to small usually leads to a hook, to large promotes a slice. You can get measured for that also so that your grips match your hands. However this is not the problem with twentyone, sounds like he has a common swing flaw that the less loft of his driver is exposing because his approach to the ball is outside in with a closed clubface leading to low left pull hooks. Have someone that knows the swing look at your swing.

Just take a look at the number of qualifiers in the sectional field in Ohio right after the memorial.

Makes sense for the sectionals, but didn't realize it mattered in the locals. But it does look accurate - last year they took 12 from Worthington with 140 players, and only 9 from Lake Presidential with 132 players.

All the more reason to go with Four Streams...

Makes sense for the sectionals, but didn't realize it mattered in the locals. But it does look accurate - last year they took 12 from Worthington with 140 players, and only 9 from Lake Presidential with 132 players.

All the more reason to go with Four Streams...

Best of luck to your friend. I'm caddying for a buddy in the Wells Fargo pre Q on Thursday. I consider myself a very good golfer, and I'm humbled by how much better even a struggling mini tour player or the elite state level amateurs are than I am.

Tell me about it. Laurel Hill was recently named the 2013 Public Links site - I played in an amateur tournament there called the Summer Solstice, it's 3 straight rounds in a row. Winner shot 67, 58, 68. Completely insane. I'm decent, but talk about getting put in your place...

I remember for the U.S. Junior qualifiers a couple friends made it at random courses because the competition was easier. Never thought it was fair. I think it took 4 under in Raleigh and 5 over in Michigan at comparable courses.

I think the European US Open qualifier always has something like 10 spots for 40 golfers.

Should I put learning to golf on my list of stuff to do in life or would you all rather your wives just took the kids to the club pool while you play with your buddies? I feel like it would be something I would do in order to occasionally spend time with Matt and the kids (I am not delusional enough to think that the man who photoshopped a golf club and hat onto the ultrasound picture is going to have kids that don't golf) but if it's not going to be enjoyable for him, maybe I won't bother. What do the men of the golf thread think?

Best of luck to your friend. I'm caddying for a buddy in the Wells Fargo pre Q on Thursday. I consider myself a very good golfer, and I'm humbled by how much better even a struggling mini tour player or the elite state level amateurs are than I am.

I think you are at my club more often these days than I am.

Should I put learning to golf on my list of stuff to do in life or would you all rather your wives just took the kids to the club pool while you play with your buddies? I feel like it would be something I would do in order to occasionally spend time with Matt and the kids (I am not delusional enough to think that the man who photoshopped a golf club and hat onto the ultrasound picture is going to have kids that don't golf) but if it's not going to be enjoyable for him, maybe I won't bother. What do the men of the golf thread think?

I play with my wife. It's a mixed bag.

On the one hand, we do spend more time together being active. Most days, we end up having a good day on the course. I really enjoy going to the range with my wife more.

On other hand, we have been known to fight on the golf course. Usually this is is for a couple of reasons. First we are never playing well at the same time. When I am falling apart, it's hard to get excited for her hitting good shots. Second, she tends to play on the slower side, but she is improving with that.

We both started at the same time about 3 years ago, FWIW. I tend to play better and more relaxed with friends, but I do enjoy playing with her.

Megan would love the company at the pool.

I think you are at my club more often these days than I am.

No kidding. I hope to be there on Monday as well.

We go off at 12ish on Thursday. Not sure if you can swing an early lunch.

Chickdeac,
As stated it is a mixed bag but I would encourage you to give it a try but realize that sometimes your husband is playing golf to have some "me time" and if you understand that you will do fine, afterall, if you enjoy it, you will want some time to play with your friends also.

Golf is an amazing game. You should absolutely learn it.

And you should absolutely not infringe upon your husband's time on the golf course. If you can fit in an odd evening 9 here and there, do so. Leave the weekends to the men to chase around the stupid white ball in peace. It'll keep us happier.

We played as a family growing up. While most kids had to work hard to beat their dads, my brother and I had to work hard to beat our mom first. I recommend it for any and everyone who has even a passing interest and it is a great family activity if you want it to be.

DC - how is the redo at Avenel (or whatever it's called now)? I played the old course a bunch of times in the early-mid-2000's but moved before they tore it up. I always found the old course to be manageable (5-6 good birdie holes) but kind of goofy, especially on the back. I have heard good things about the redo but haven't seen it for myself.

My wife is good, but puts next to no time into practicing. It infuriates me.

Man, I never realized how much I love golf until I couldn't play. A buddy of mine is doing that 10,000 hour of golf to get on tour thing that was mentioned in Golf Digest. He's already scratch, lives at Lake Nona and has all the money in the world, I wonder how he'll do. He's 28 now. His swing is identical to Dufner's.

Putting "Outliers" to the test?

Yea exactly. Long article in Golf Digest about it, some guy who sucks is trying it. My friend actually has talent but I'm not sure he'll ever find the distance to make any money off his game.

Back