• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

Played a practice 9 with my fourball partner this afternoon, shot 5 under. Even lipped out an eagle and missed an 8 footer for birdie. Good times.

got out at Tot Hill in Asheboro. Hot and humid but course was in good shape other than very slow greens. Weekday post 3p times are $29.

I always see a sign for that course when I'm headed to the beach and wonder how good of a course it is.

Glad to hear it's not bad.

It's better than "not bad"
It's a Mike Strantz design (of Tobacco Road and Caledonia design fame).

Few things as depressing in golf as having a good round going (even par through 15 holes) and then being hit with one of those lovely, pop-up late evening summer storms here in NC and not being able to finish your round. :(

Plenty do, and I don't mind it every now and then... But it's definitely a controversial layout, to say the least.

I don't think I'll be playing Tobacco Road again anytime soon.

Tot Hill is awesome but its goofy golf with the layout. I haven't played in 5 years but I think almost every green looks like it has an elephant buried under it. You have to be in a certain mood to play there if you know what I mean.

Plenty do, and I don't mind it every now and then... But it's definitely a controversial layout, to say the least.

Oh I definitely get that. I happen to like it but I can see why others wouldn't

It's definitely polarizing. Stranz was an artist, no doubt.

I just remember the first time I played Tobacco Road I had a pretty good bet going with a buddy. There was some par 5 that had a couple doglegs then went straight up a hill to some crazy green. He hit what looked like a perfect approach, I hit mine 30 yards over the green.

We get up there and my ball rolled down a rocky mountain-style hill to 3 feet. His caught some ridge 5 feet from the cup and rolled off the green and down a hill.

On most courses hitting a great shot is like having pocket aces... At Tobacco Road it's more like having pocket 8's. Still good, but you also have this nagging feeling it's probably not going to end well anyway.

You would hate golf in Scotland.

Yeah, but most times you've actually seen the green at some point. At Tobacco Road on a couple of holes, you can't see it from the tee, the fairway, or from 50 feet away.

Yeah, but most times you've actually seen the green at some point. At Tobacco Road on a couple of holes, you can't see it from the tee, the fairway, or from 50 feet away.

I like it because of the variety. As long as I can see the top of a flagstick, I'm fine with it. Now, would I want to play tournament golf on there? Hell no.

Back