• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official OGBoards Golf Thread

meehican golf cart resort community with battery powered cart in garage to use for golf and transport around town or gtfo!

Only problem with the Club Glove is that Southwest - the one airline where you can check a 50 pound set of golf clubs for free - won't cover a soft bag.

Does anyone pay full price for tee times anymore? Every time I want to play now I just use the GolfNow or LastMinuteGolfer Apps and find tee times for $20 or so - basically what would usually be the cart fee. I did pay $40 to play at Lonnie Poole on the weekend a while back - a round that would normally be $80 or more.

I guess if you really want to play a certain course, or need to play at a certain time, then full-price tee-times are a necessity - but these new apps are a great way to play cheaply.

Does anyone pay full price for tee times anymore? Every time I want to play now I just use the GolfNow or LastMinuteGolfer Apps and find tee times for $20 or so - basically what would usually be the cart fee. I did pay $40 to play at Lonnie Poole on the weekend a while back - a round that would normally be $80 or more.

I guess if you really want to play a certain course, or need to play at a certain time, then full-price tee-times are a necessity - but these new apps are a great way to play cheaply.

They are also destroying the golf business model.

Yeah I used it didn't at the beach. Saved a bunch but every public course is going to end up looking like you local muni.

I played Old South Links at Hilton Head last week for $39 using GolfNow. Well worth the price, and the normal afternoon rate there is $60.

Also, on the subject of push carts, I've got an older model Sun Mountain that I really like. I probably use it for 90% of the rounds I play. Only downsides of the older model is that it has inflatable bicycle-style tires that will eventually have to be replaced and it doesn't fold up as compactly as the newer styles do.

Last edited:

What do the courses need to do to adjust? I assume they only make tee-times available on those apps when they want to, right? They can just not participate, or only make times available there at the last minute. As golfers get shut out for waiting too long for the courses they want to play, they will go back to making 'regular' tee times.
As long as a the course is solid and in demand, I would think these apps will serve the purpose of filling in last minute gaps in their tee sheets - and thus help their bottom line. To the extent courses are relying on these apps, and these prices, to fill in a large percentage of their tee times I could see that being a real cash flow problem.

Interesting comment. GolfNow is saving courses around here from what I've heard. Maybe it's very market dependent? This area has tons of semi-private daily fee courses - they all have to have some kind of price flexibility or they get wild swings in number of players. Sending emails with discounts, editing your own website and tee time system, assuming customers will keep track of 20 different courses with their own systems - courses fall off people's radar and suffer for months.

How is it destroying golf in other areas? Making competition easier?

Interesting comment. GolfNow is saving courses around here from what I've heard. Maybe it's very market dependent? This area has tons of semi-private daily fee courses - they all have to have some kind of price flexibility or they get wild swings in number of players. Sending emails with discounts, editing your own website and tee time system, assuming customers will keep track of 20 different courses with their own systems - courses fall off people's radar and suffer for months.

How is it destroying golf in other areas? Making competition easier?

There are certainly pros and cons, and the answer varies depending on the nature of the golf facility (public vs semi-private vs private) using the online dynamic pricing systems.
This article explains the problems/criticisms better than I can: http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-debate-over-third-party-tee-time-services-1415408449

Golfnow is awesome for the consumer, no doubt. And it's not the sole cause of the problems facing struggling clubs. Those clubs have structural problems (debt, low membership numbers, no capital reserves) that necessitated golfnow or other online dynamic pricing companies to manipulate their pricing model. I was on the other side of the GolfNow equation for years on the board of a struggling private club. Members left in droves when we started offering up tee times on Golfnow and they did the math that they could play their 4 or 5 rounds a month for less than the monthly dues. For a privately owned daily fee facility, GolfNow *should* help drive revenue.

I guess a better way of what I stated is they are destroying the traditional golf business model, and whether the replacement is going to be better or worse has yet to be seen. Golf, as a business, has been struggling for over a decade now.

I played Old South Links at Hilton Head last week for $39 using GolfNow. Well worth the price, and the normal afternoon rate there is $60.

Also, on the subject of push carts, I've got an older model Sun Mountain that I really like. I probably use it for 90% of the rounds I play. Only downsides of the older model is that it has inflatable bicycle-style tires that will eventually have to be replaced and it doesn't fold up as compactly as the newer styles do.

Really liked Old South when I played it a few years ago - was it in decent shape? Headed to HHI in a few weeks.

Anyone played Harding Park? Is it worth the $200 or so?

Just played Harding Park on Friday. Didn't have great weather (very foggy and a bit chilly) but had a great time playing. It's a public course and very popular so there will definitely be a ton of people playing whenever you play. I thought it was nice, the trees were tough to play around but if you keep it in the fairway it's not all that tough. Greens have some ball marks since it is being overplayed but overall I would recommend it. I think I played for like 155 or something in that area and I wasn't disappointed (my friend who lives there got to play with his residence card for $54!!!).

Anyone have any recommendations on push carts? Looking for a birthday present for my dad and he wants to keep walking.

Probably going to be used in pretty hilly areas and needs to be able to be folded up for transport.

Clic-gear, bag boy, I don't fuckin know

Update: Both courses he plays don't let him bring a push-cart becuase they both rent them...... Now I need a new gift idea.... fuck....

Update: Both courses he plays don't let him bring a push-cart becuase they both rent them...... Now I need a new gift idea.... fuck....

How does a golf course regulate members bringing push carts? If they pay money to be a member it seems like they should be able to bring their own.

How does a golf course regulate members bringing push carts? If they pay money to be a member it seems like they should be able to bring their own.

I've heard of courses not allowing members to bring their own golf carts, but never a ban on push carts.

I'm guessing it's a daily fee course.

My old club in previous city would not allow you to use your own. They had 8 or so that they would rent out. It wasn't a very walkable course, so there wasn't that much of a demand. My new club is probably the most walkable in the world (Ross course with many tees being part of the previous holes' chipping areas), and there are push carts galore. People even store their push carts at the club.

My course is a DR course and you can't bring your own push cart. Lots of walkers though.

Back